Rod Tips

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a half dozen rods with the tips broke off. Do you fellows fix or chuck. I might add these are not spendy rods, around that 50$ mark. Thanks LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toss,sweet spot is gone or re-glue a new tip ,donate the rods to kids,they won't care.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much to my dismay, I broke the tip off my favorite, last year. Took it back to Scheels, with the receipt. Stood there sheepishly, with my hat in my hand, kinda hoping I might get a new rod out of the deal.

It was no longer under warranty.

I know, I know - I broke it myself. It was no manufacturer's defect. I think I stepped on it. I've heard stories though, about "replaced - no questions asked". That wasn't the case for me.

They took the rod, glued on a new cheap tip, and I went on my way. Still works plenty well.

Anyhow, my point is, is there a better way to fix a rod tip, than just gluing on a nasty-@ss 49 cent tip? It's too big, the wrong color, and bothers me.

The rod is my only "good" one. A Loomis that was $250-ish. I know they make much more highly-priced models, but it's the best one I own, and my absolute favorite.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much to my dismay, I broke the tip off my favorite, last year. Took it back to Scheels, with the receipt. Stood there sheepishly, with my hat in my hand, kinda hoping I might get a new rod out of the deal.

It was no longer under warranty.

I know, I know - I broke it myself. It was no manufacturer's defect. I think I stepped on it. I've heard stories though, about "replaced - no questions asked". That wasn't the case for me.

They took the rod, glued on a new cheap tip, and I went on my way. Still works plenty well.

Anyhow, my point is, is there a better way to fix a rod tip, than just gluing on a nasty-@ss 49 cent tip? It's too big, the wrong color, and bothers me.

The rod is my only "good" one. A Loomis that was $250-ish. I know they make much more highly-priced models, but it's the best one I own, and my absolute favorite.

All rods prior to the “3 year warranty” still have life time warranties. However, when you break one of those rods and receive a replacement, you’re now on the 3 year warranty clock. This info came from an employee.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
jaykay,"the tips are to big" sounds like something "she said" j/k but tough deal if this rod is your fav walleye stick your sweet spot is gone for rigging but use it for trolling or pitching jigs where sensitivity doesn't matter,,maybe for vatentines day buy your wife a new g-loomis imx pro.she'll gladly let you use it I'm sure,works for me even when we need a new shotgun in the house,ammo too for birthday presents.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I feel JK's pain and slightly disagree with Snow. A replacement tip is currently a large silver turd accompanied by the irrational psychological effect of a "shorter" rod. My disagreement with Snow stems from my "go-to" 18 yoa Scheel's Guide Series being more sensitive in the hand after being cropped an inch and appointed with a shiny, wide hole dildo. I guess the rod is a bit faster. Breaking off a tip is like getting an onion in ice cream. Or something concerning penises.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do some rod repair and there isn’t really anything you can do for a broken tip other than a new tiptop. That being said, when I do a repair, I try my best to match existing guides and thread and don’t just slap on one that doesn’t match or fit.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where do you get your supplies? Can you get the appropriate size eyelet with a larger connection?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple rods that have replacement tips or eyes.

They are now my least favorite to fish with, those replacements just detract from any other redeeming quality the rod/reel may possess.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you get your supplies? Can you get the appropriate size eyelet with a larger connection?

there are a handful of suppliers out there. Mudhole and Getbit are two of the biggest. You can usually get pretty close to what you have.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple rods that have replacement tips or eyes.

They are now my least favorite to fish with, those replacements just detract from any other redeeming quality the rod/reel may possess.

​Counseling is the answer. If you send me a case of Grain Belt Premium you will be in-tilted to 3 hours of intensive therapy.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do some rod repair and there isn’t really anything you can do for a broken tip other than a new tiptop. That being said, when I do a repair, I try my best to match existing guides and thread and don’t just slap on one that doesn’t match or fit.

Don, we gotta talk. I'll get hold of you through our mutual friend. It might be irrational, but the ill-sized tip bugs me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74