Prayers needed

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lady i know brother-in-law has cancer that has wrap around his spine. Chemo has reduce the size of the cancer. Hope is it will continue to reduce and then they will operate on it. Best of luck for the two of you. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
Brenda goes to Mayo in Phoenix tomorrow (Tuesday) for an MRI brain scan and a PET scan and hopefully she can get through both of them.
Will update more after we hear something back from the tests and hope and pray they both turn out negative.
Her pain has been quite high the last 2 days, so also hoping she can start her treatments soon after these 2 tests.
We both want to thank so many of you for the cards and gifts that have been sent to her and when reading each and everyone, we both cry like babies, appreciating all your kind words and prayers, along with the cards and gifts. Most of you we have not personally met, but feel a very close bond to each and everyone of you. Words can not describe how each of us feel and appreciate everyone of you.
It is all so overwhelming but so very much appreciated.
Being from the Midwest (NoDak) and living back there our whole life, until moving down here to Payson, one fully realizes the kindness of folks from back there. There are nice people all over but the Midwest people just have that special something!
Again thanks so much and God Bless each and everyone of you!
John & Brenda

Last edited:

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having a spouse goes thru several cancers I can tell you that scan anxiety is horrible. The wait always seems too long with nervousness building each hour until the doctor steps into the office with you. I know it's very hard but try to keep finding the positives anywhere you can. I'm thinking of the both of you.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
God bless both of you John...praying Brenda finds peace and comfort in the Lord and gets thru the tests tomorrow just fine. I'll continue to pray for both of you...

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thoughts and prayers for you had Brenda. Hoping for the very best.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guyz,curious what it would take to get John a "go-fund me" account,I'm a dumb shit when it comes to this stuff but I can relate to medical bills piling up,it adds to the stress so if someone here can swing it I'm in.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow:
Good thought
For me and my wife, she had the surgery last spring to remove the tumor and then all summer went to Grand Forks for the chemo and other things. Two trips every month and then also to local clinic for other things with the cancer. Kept her hair for the most part but began to get thinner, no weight loss and now and then sick manly from continuing to make the trip.

I am sure the total cost so far as been well in the 6 numbers and doctor wants these visit to continue. Medicare and Blue Cross has paid every penny for us. No cost to us so far. They did say no more but then the clinic found a place call Hope to continue to pay. Not sure if there is some kind of limit on paying with medicare or how this may affect there future in paying for things that may happen.
Just got done going into the tube again and as i stated they want this to continue for some time.
Getting old for her as it has been over a year of this crab.

Wife is starting to say no more as she feel clinic is bleeding the insurance and does not see the need to continue on this path. No way could we afford this so lucky we had the insurance we had and she stated that if insurance no longer pays she is done going. Cost now is a little over $700/month for this insurance.

Not sure what BBJ has for insurance but for us only cost has been the travel which was not a big thing. As it appears now she should be alright but only time will tell. Tuff to get old sometimes. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hope for the best of you and your wife BBJ. Db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
Brenda got through the test yesterday but the pain was the worst it has ever been when she got done. Terrible night last night and so far this morning with the pain.
Don't know when we will hear the results from the two tests, guessing today or tomorrow.
As far as insurance goes, we have Medicare and Blue Cross as the secondary. Never have inquired about how long or how much they will cover, that certainly didn't cross our minds. Should find out how often she will need Chemo and Radiation treatments in the near future, being the 2 final tests are now done. Don't know if it will be daily or weekly or what. We are thankful that there is a Mayo Hospital down in the Valley (Phoenix) and it is roughly 85-90 miles one way. Since my stroke, traffic really bothers me when i have to drive in it, but we will get through this one way or another.
Will update more when we get the results.
Once again thank you all for the cards, gifts, and well wishes. Very much appreciated!
John

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
We were just informed that we have a meeting next Tuesday afternoon March 9th with the Doctor down at Mayo in Phoenix. So guessing we won't know anything about the MRI or PET scans until then.
Thanks and hope you are all well and appreciate the prayers!
John

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
She had been in terrible pain since her last tests and super tired too.
Finally last night around 1 or 2 a.m. she got some good rest. She is somewhat better for pain today, so far anyways.
Her right leg has started to give out on her once in a while and she took a nasty fall night before last. I said to her to wake me up if i am sleeping, to help her get her pills or help her to the bathroom. Also said i could go get the walker out of storage and she didn't like that idea. She can sometimes be bull-headed like her husband! :;:exactly
Will see how today and the weekend goes.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go get the walker before she break's a hip or arm. I know its a hard pill to swallow but broken bones at this stage of the game would not be good thing. Do the right thing. Prayers to you both. LB

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go get the walker before she break's a hip or arm. I know its a hard pill to swallow but broken bones at this stage of the game would not be good thing. Do the right thing. Prayers to you both. LB

Already done. :;:thumbsup She didn't like the idea of me bringing it in the house, but she will get used to the idea. :;:exactly

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:
Praise Jesus, her Brain and PET scan both came back negative.
Treatment will start in 2-3 weeks as she needs another CT scan as they need to know the exact target for the Proton Radiation Treatment which is the newest/best thing out there, we were told and not many of them in the U.S. Also said that the mass is pushing on her vocal cords and esophagus which is making her voice come and go and raspy at times, and getting harder to swallow. Said it is close to the heart too so that is another reason this Proton thing is the way to go, as they can pinpoint that somewhat.
She will also need a Port installed.
They are going to be using 2 different Chemo drugs which is once per week for 6-7 weeks and at the same time do the Proton radiation daily Monday thru Friday for 6-7 weeks. So she is going to be going through quite a bit in a short period of time.
We live 85-90 miles away (one way) so daily trips will be attempted, but don't know how sick she will get from the treatments and then driving home through switchbacks and mountains might be to nauseating for her. Might have to find a place to stay that is close to the Mayo Hospital in Phoenix for the Monday-Friday treatments. They recommended we stay down there, so will see how that goes.
After these 6-7 weeks, she will wait 4-6 weeks and then some more CT scans, then if all is going well from the radiation and chemo, they will give her Durvalumab IV's treatment every 2 weeks for up to and maybe more than 12 months.
I may have some of this screwed up as it was a lot to grasp in a few hours meeting with the Oncology and Radiation Doctors. They kept saying she is very fortunate to be able to get the Proton Radiation Treatments as it is the best of the best. Both Doctors are great and explain things well and the Radiation Doctor is a jokester and helped to lighten up the situation somewhat. He even gave us his personal cell number and said call or text if we have questions or not feeling good or anything at all to do with this treatment. He said i will get back to you that same day or the next day at the latest.
So we are on hold until doing the Port and CT scan hopefully this next week.
Will update more as we know.
Appreciate all the prayers and believe they were answered with these 2 negative tests. So keep them coming please!

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
As they said in the WAR "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!" Good for you and your wife. All the best and prayers and best wishes to you both. We'll take all the good news from you that you have!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey BBJ its a positive always hope for the best prayers help as well John.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little bit of good news! I'll ask around down there to see if anyone might have, or know of someone who might be able to help with accommodations if that's what you end up having to do.

Hang in there BBJ!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76