No more messing with the clock in North Dakota

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same.

There's a trend lately where many of our retired (or soon to be) friends follow their college age kids/family to whatever town they move to when they leave college.

Yep - sell the house and move to same town as the kids' family. I'm a bit baffled by this trend.

I am totally baffled by this. I have a kid in Beulah, one in Fargo, and 2 at home yet. I wont be moving closer to any of them. iffn I ever move it would be to a place mrs johnr and I want to retire to.
I can run and see my kids whenever, if they need me they can find me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right? But it’s more and more common that they’re following their kids.

Anybody here done it - can you explain the dynamics involved? So mysterious to me.

- - - Updated - - -

when I imagine my grandparents following us it makes my head spin ;:;rofl

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't chase after my kids, but I'd be happy if they ended up where we end up.

I could ALMOST see us in AZ in later life, and if they also lived there, I'd be happy to be close to them.

I sure wouldn't follow them to some big city, I can tell you that.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a co-worker move to Sioux Falls after his 2nd kid went to college down there and 1st kid had just taken a teacher job out of college down there. They had lived in Washburn area for years. Sold everything.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grandparents:

My grandmother die when i was 5 and my only memory of her was the funeral as she laid to rest in the house and i was too scare to go in the room and see her.
Grandfather, i played a bunch of canasta with him, loved cowboy shows and he die when i was 11.
My other two, only memory is of going to there home a few times.

All four came from the old country and homestead. For the most part the only memory is either hand me down or on paper. I feel i missed a lot and really needed guidance to understand the purpose of grandparents when i was young.
Wife never knew her dad's parents but spent a lot of time with her mom's mom.

Had five kids. They never knew their mom's parents and i try to get them together with my parents but in the end i feel they were short change.
Have 10 grandkids. Oldest i have not seen in 15 years but the other 9 are in our life big time. Just drove 3 hours one way to see 7 volley ball matches and this Thursday another 3 hours one way to see a junior varsity foot ball game. Try to go every week to see them for whatever.
Youngest lives close by and we babysit one day a week. Got to see him learn to roll over, crawl, wave goodbye and am sure we will see him take his first step.

Two granddaughters wanted to hunt. Bought the rifles, bows and sat with them on their first kill. Greatest memory is when one shot her first deer with the bow. We sat in the stand, dark and i left the video on. Started talking about what just happen and life. It is all on tape.
No, we will not move to where they are at but they will know both of us well and will heard the stories. I have been telling them about there great and great-great grandparents as best i can. Also telling those stories to my kids.

Our kids were in every activity offer by the school, after school, 4-H, FFA, girl scouts, boy scouts and whatever the community had to offer. Did a lot of camping with the kids and friends. A trip of some kind every summer around the US and Canada.
Money tree. We never had time to chase that tree as we were too busy chasing our kids.
Did a balance sheet every year. At age 30 the net worth was a touch over $2,000. Started a new job at $800 take home per month, wife part time including babysitting for $25 for one kid and $45 for two kids each week. In time it got better. Besides the part time, wife was able to stay at home somewhat and be there when the kids went to school and came home.
By 50 years of age the net worth did reach $100,000.

By age 66 the kids were gone, debt was paid off. Started to receive SS check, wife got one based on my SS and the army stated paying some for an injury in Nam.
At that age i decide to be concern with the money tree. Was able, with those funds plus salary, to put $6,000 each month into a savings account for the next 7 years and retire at age 73. This is the bulk of our cash. During that time bought my Dodge, wife got her first new car, a Buick, and built a shop for my stuff. Junk quit working and income tax took about 25% of that savings.

Been retire for the last two years and have lived on that income of SS and the army. In fact the cash has grown somewhat after buying a $7,000 camper, $4,000 in lawn equipment (nice to ride versus pushing), $1,500 in two muzzle loaders, wife trip to Hawaii with the two daughters and granddaughter. Paid her own way and the grandkid. Next month she is going to New Orleans with a daughter and then in the spring to Myrtle Beach with some family.

Me, well corn was $3.50 per bushel and is now 8 dollars per bushel. Cut down to four feeders but it is getting expensive. Hope to paint my 77 cutlass next summer. Put in new audio, forward rake, new rims and pipes now are not loud by sound comes with authority.

So maybe the money tree when we were young and then quit working in the fifities would of been great. Then spent that time together for the two of us and take a bunch of trips by our selves. Naw, it was just great the way it was. Yes, we have had our fair share of issues.

Memories and family and monies helps but we did not need a money tree when we were raising a family. Just wish my grandparents would of been a bigger part of my life.
So to each there own and do not let life slip you by. db

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You beat me to it bud good catch and hoping this changing clock bs is going away forever

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did this in the 70s. It sucked during the winter especially for kids

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in SW Wyoming in '73/'74 and grade school kids were being scared by moose at school bus stops. Wyoming's answer: move school classroom schedules back 1 hour so that the school opening coincided with the actual sun time. By the way Arizona and Hawaii do NOT HAVE DAYLIGHT SAVIN TIME and seem to get along very well!

Maybe someone with too much time on their hands can research how many (if any) other countries chose to have daylight savings time and when it is implemented.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did this in the 70s. It sucked during the winter especially for kids

Obviously it would be ideal if it could be light out when we go to work or school, but the sun comes up well after 8 in ND for pretty much all of Dec. and Jan. as it is without DST, I don't see how this would change much for kids catching the bus. Few kids walk to school anymore or walk very far to a bus stop. Probably more health benefits for all age groups to be able to do things in the daylight after school/work.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the clocks springing forward and gas ice augers. Good day!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Google search: "City, state sun chart" for any location you wish to see. The middle section from mid March to early November is DST. The outside portions are standard time. Shift standard time up an hour to see what daylight hours will be.

Bismarck
20220316_073921.jpg

SW Wyoming
20220316_073943.jpg

I don't mind the time change, especially now when most things update automatically. But to pick one or the other, I'd much rather have later daylight and especially not have 4:15 am light in July. Going to work in the dark and going home in the dark is draining. Having a chance at light on at least one end of the workday is nice. And playing outside in the summer as a kid was definitely safer with longer daylight. Kids going to school in the morning are expected by motorists. Kids running across the street playing tag on a summer evening is less predictable. But that would require them to put down their iPads now.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you see a kid running in the streets nowdays its because he is try to outrun a cop.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind being able to deer hunt til 630 or later after work in November.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously it would be ideal if it could be light out when we go to work or school, but the sun comes up well after 8 in ND for pretty much all of Dec. and Jan. as it is without DST, I don't see how this would change much for kids catching the bus. Few kids walk to school anymore or walk very far to a bus stop. Probably more health benefits for all age groups to be able to do things in the daylight after school/work.

yes i walked and my mother sewed reflector tape on my new "parka"

Still you have alot of activity around schools and bus stops.

I still work a normal job I still would be leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark. It doesnt matter to me. My wife is on conference calls 24 7 all over the world. Some of those countries switch times some dont.

I do think health wise your better with daylight savings time. I remember those years - the darkness in the AM got to you just like the evenings.

This winter was a complete bastard in FArgo --- -regardless when the sun shines your not going to be walking outside like its summer time. We will be ice fishing tll may. When its below zero and wind at 50mph everyday you walk in gym - - welcome to ND

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic is the flavor of the week. By next week nobody gives a shit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right? But it’s more and more common that they’re following their kids.

Anybody here done it - can you explain the dynamics involved? So mysterious to me.

- - - Updated - - -

when I imagine my grandparents following us it makes my head spin ;:;rofl

I am 4 yrs away from my youngest heading off to college, so maybe 8-10 years out from her finishing college. I figure to be retired by at least a few years by the time we get to that point. At that point though, there's nothing I can identify right now that would anchor me in the Bismarck area, so I figure I can be mobile so long as the health holds up.

With nothing in the Bismarck area to hold me (occupation or family), why not follow (at least loosely) the kids if they stay somewhat geographically close to each other? My former in-laws moved right next door to their oldest daughter and her family as they hit retirement. It actually seemed to work out pretty well for them, at least I never heard my former brother-in-law complain about it, so it can be done with the right personalities and so long as you actually get along with each other. We see, or at least used to see, kids often returning to the farm after college where they'd just build another home on the farm. I don't seem to recall many people wondering about the reasonableness of that arrangement.

I guess I can absolutely see me trying to stay reasonably close to my kids as they go on from college for the stated reasons. One thing I would say on this though is that I would never move to be close to my kids without their legitimate buy-in on the idea. I respect their need for privacy and independence enough to where I wouldn't want it to be a headache of any kind for them. Granted, if they move to a big city...I may move to a more rural setting within reasonable driving distance, but sure as hell not in the big city itself.

I'm surprised that you're surprised people would like to stay close to family, my kids are the greatest people I know!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do think health wise your better with daylight savings time. I remember those years - the darkness in the AM got to you just like the evenings.

So you think that "health wise" the people that live in the more southern parts of the planet "more sunshine" are healthier than people in Alaska, northern Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland and northern Russia. I'd sure like to see the study that supports that view!!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic is the flavor of the week. By next week nobody gives a shit.

Yup not until next fall when they take that hour away from us again. Then I'm always cussing how early it gets dark.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66