Another Airplane Project: 1949 PA-14 Progress, Pic Heavy

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's our latest progress. Fuselage is just about complete. Wings are covered and almost ready for paint. She has sure turned into a beautiful bird. Beyond happy with how it's turning out.
-Taylorman
pa14 side.JPG

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
545FD328-404B-4C0B-9F03-4AF8838DC623.jpeg

Well, here she is fellas. Got the wings put on yesterday evening at the airport. We are beyond happy with how it’s turning out. Dad has about 800 hours into this one. Still have to run cables, put flaps and ailerons on, etc. Quite a bit of work left but the finish line is near.

We were fortunate enough to be second in the world for a new set of aluminum struts that were recently certified for this airplane. It’ll take another 10-12 lbs off the total weight. Those should be shipping out here in next week or two. Other weight savings… lightweight skytech starter (10 lbs), carbon fiber floors (6-7 lbs), lightweight battery (10 lbs), 0320 narrow deck engine (10-12 lbs lighter than similar wide deck 0320, both are 150 horsepower). Aero classic tires (26 lbs total weight savings for set vs similar 26 inch Goodyears). These tires are nearly identical in size just lighter ply. I’ve been in contact with about every PA14 owner I can find, asking what their airplanes weigh. There is about 100 of these left in the world out of the 238 ever built. 9/10 are in the 1225-1330 lb range. The lightest we’ve found registered is 1198 lbs. We are legitimately thinking we will be in the 1100-1130 range. Hope everyone has a good 4th coming up. Cheers!

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone is around Hazen, we have our annual fly in pancake breakfast next Saturday the 8th. Proceeds go to the local fire dept. We will have our 3 birds on display. Hoping for a good turnout!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If that were my work; in the evenings I'd sit for hours with a cooler of beer just gazing upon it. I don't remember the call letters--Houston TX, has an incredible county station which I'd have echoing in the hangar. It's where I first heard this:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truly AWESOME! My Dad had a Piper Cub until the great wind storm in 1955 I believe. It was tied up outside in GF for its annual inspection. Ended up in a ball at the end of the runway.
I love these small Aircraft. Heads up to you and your Dad.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had our local fly in pancake breakfast on Saturday morning. The free will donation went to the local fire dept who served the food. We had a lot of local folks show up and We had 35-40 airplanes show up which is a fantastic turn out for a small town airport like ours. Raised around $3500.
IMG_0345.jpeg
Dad got our Pa14 all buttoned up late last week and we pushed it out of the hanger and displayed it next to his PA18 Supercub that he finished a couple years back. We put out our 85 hp J3 cub in the line with the other airplanes so it’s not pictured. Got a few pics of myself and new little guy and a pic with dad.

Next project is not an airplane, but an old 1940s LA Case tractor with a rare Detroit diesel conversion. Brought it home from the uncles farm, was the tractor my dad cut his teeth on as a 8-10 year old kid. Cheers!!

IMG_0348.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We had our local fly in pancake breakfast on Saturday morning. The free will donation went to the local fire dept who served the food. We had a lot of local folks show up and We had 35-40 airplanes show up which is a fantastic turn out for a small town airport like ours. Raised around $3500.
IMG_0345.jpeg
Dad got our Pa14 all buttoned up late last week and we pushed it out of the hanger and displayed it next to his PA18 Supercub that he finished a couple years back. We put out our 85 hp J3 cub in the line with the other airplanes so it’s not pictured. Got a few pics of myself and new little guy and a pic with dad.

Next project is not an airplane, but an old 1940s LA Case tractor with a rare Detroit diesel conversion. Brought it home from the uncles farm, was the tractor my dad cut his teeth on as a 8-10 year old kid. Cheers!!

IMG_0348.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
Did you ever get a final weight for it?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I accidentally deleted my last post.

Final weight came in at 1,096 lbs, making it one of the lightest, if not thee lightest PA-14 currently in the world with a 150/160 or 180 hp upgrade, out of around 80-90 or so left in the world. Scale reads 1100 on the nuts, but we had over 4 lbs of wood on the scale to level it out properly. Here's a few more attached photos of the interior. The new aluminum struts from Airframes Alaska saved at least 13 lbs, skytech starter was 10 lbs, carbon fiber floors, etc.

I posted the scale weight and photos on a few Alaska backcountry forums, along with a few big tire Facebook forums in the last week, and the messages and calls came flooding in. We've had offers daily on it (take 2 brand new nicely equipped Ranger or Caymas boats and you'll have a rough number), but we've told everyone it's just not for sale. Had one gent out of Texas tell us to just give him a number, didn't matter what it was, his checkbook was open for it. Crazy world we live in. No more airplane projects on the horizon as of now, but maybe a cool old 1940s LA Case with a 3 cylinder detroit diesel that dad grew up on will be next. Cheers fellas!

52AC7CEC-EF07-46CB-8D01-FB6760A78A8C (1).JPG

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

Attachments

IMG_1054.jpg

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't remember all planes names that dad and I flew in hunting all over country. I was way younger it sure was fun, miss those days. Enjoy time with pops true lost art and great builds.
Was good friends with Jim Lawyer manager at Mandan airport saw all kinds of projects.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66