Another Airplane Project: 1949 PA-14 Progress, Pic Heavy

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad's 66' PA18 Supercub is all completed and has made multiple flights since this past summer. The goal was to get his Supercub under 1100 lbs empty, and she came in at 1125 lbs which is still extremely light. Most cubs in Alaska are 1150-1200 with lightweight mods. Still are looking to do a light weight starter/alternator, and a certified carbon fiber propeller, which should drop it into the 1090-1095 lb. range.

Onto the 1949 PA-14 project. 1 of 236/237 ever made, with about 100 or so left in the world today. This is the 6th from the last ever built and looks to be the lowest total time PA14 currently on record. Essentially its a "4" place Supercub, but more like 3 adults and fuel. This should be a much quicker and easier project as it was complete when we purchased it. Currently we have it down to bare frame. Dad did multiple weld repairs, along with tubing repairs. Currently just finishing up fitting the interior panels, much easier to fit the side interior panels while the airplane is bare bones like this, vs doing it once fabric is on. We will be sandblasting soon and fabric was just ordered yesterday.

PA14 1.jpg
PA14 2.jpg
PA 14 3.jpg
PA14 6.jpg
PA 14 7.jpg
PA 14 8.jpg
PA 14 9.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW! now thats a cool project,gotta have your shit together on that one,very nice.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might consider something larger like a P51 or Corsair. We may need air support in the coming times. ::: LB

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I envy people who have the time to dedicate to this!! ;:;bowdown

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is so cool Taylorman. So very neat that you're bringing yesteryear back to life.

Aviation has a unique place in my heart. My dad has been gone 18 months now, but it was his favorite thing. Back in the 70's, he helped a friend re-build several aircraft, and I know he loved those days - in spite of the headaches he had from re-covering fabric indoors. The dope (and the Old Mil) gave some pretty vicious hangovers.

On a side-note, last night I watched a two-part special on modern aircraft carriers, and modern fighter planes. Very very interesting.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I envy people who have the time to dedicate to this!! ;:;bowdown

Dad is a special breed. Not many 65 year old dudes like him left in the world. Aircraft restoration is a true art form, a passion/love of some sort.

- - - Updated - - -

This is so cool Taylorman. So very neat that you're bringing yesteryear back to life.

Aviation has a unique place in my heart. My dad has been gone 18 months now, but it was his favorite thing. Back in the 70's, he helped a friend re-build several aircraft, and I know he loved those days - in spite of the headaches he had from re-covering fabric indoors. The dope (and the Old Mil) gave some pretty vicious hangovers.

On a side-note, last night I watched a two-part special on modern aircraft carriers, and modern fighter planes. Very very interesting.

There's something special about aviation. The older I get, the more I appreciate it. Growing up I flew a lot with dad, watched him restore airplanes out of the garage, but never really knew how in depth or what it took to do this type of thing. It's meticulous in nature. If you ever get up near the Hazen/Beulah area let me know, stop in and check the airplane out and have a beer or soda.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad is a special breed. Not many 65 year old dudes like him left in the world. Aircraft restoration is a true art form, a passion/love of some sort.

- - - Updated - - -

There's something special about aviation. The older I get, the more I appreciate it. Growing up I flew a lot with dad, watched him restore airplanes out of the garage, but never really knew how in depth or what it took to do this type of thing. It's meticulous in nature. If you ever get up near the Hazen/Beulah area let me know, stop in and check the airplane out and have a beer or soda.

I'll do that. I don't get there very often, but if/when I do, I'll look you up. I'd be delighted to see what you're doing!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The airplane is cool. Many props must also be given for having an early 90's F-150 that's not rusty as well.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
The airplane is cool. Many props must also be given for having an early 90's F-150 that's not rusty as well.

Randomly that pickup showed up on bisman as I was browsing through. I called immediately. It had been posted for literally under 1 min. 1995 with 69,000 original miles. 351, and one owner since new. Guy was selling it for his dad. Picked it up for $5,000 which I felt was an insane steal for the price that some of these old Fords are bringing. Dad has put a total of about 2,500 miles on it in a year and that's probably more than it will usually get. Zero rust, and a true 9.5/10 pickup inside and out.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be great to see and watch your Dad do his magic on one of these planes.
That framework really makes one think about it when seeing that and thinking, I am going to be off the ground in that???

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are officially putting the 1949 PA14 back together. Every nut and bolt taken out. Frame was sandblasted front to back. About 20 hours of sandblasting into this frame. That's 20 hours of blasting, add in time refilling the tanks and filtering the blasting media. Dad has a lot more patience compared to me. A few weld repairs and minor tube replacements were needed after the sandblasting, but overall, very happy with how good of shape the original frame was in. 2 coats of white Epoxy, followed by 2 coats of black epoxy. Stringers put on, and this week dad is fitting the carbon fiber floors. Fabric for fuselage to follow shortly.

sandblast.jpg
white 1.jpg
white 2.jpg
black.jpg

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Airplane update. Fabric is ironed on and tight. 4 coats of Randoproof are on, and 3-4 coats of clear are on. We will sand down the clear in the coming week or so, then will spray "silver" (UV protection coat), after that yellow color. Hope all you fellas are having a good summer. Last picture is of the 1941 J3 I bought out of Kenmare. 85 hp, 3000 hours total time, and 150 hours or so since major overhaul. I bought last fall after deer season. Wanted something cheaper to fly and build more hours. Was hard to pass up for the price so we jumped on it. Came with a nearly brand new set of federal snow skis too. Wife and I recently moved back "home" 2 months ago, so I've been able to help dad more on the airplanes and see family and friends daily. It's been unreal awesome to be back in God's country. Cheers.

fabric PA14.jpg

PA14.jpg

PA14.jpg

fabric 2.jpg

J3 cub.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86