Spring gobblers

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild Turkey breast and thighs cubed, boiled in Swanson chicken broth makes EXCELLENT soup. Carrots, Celery, Pearl Onions, and good noodles. UMMMMMMMM!

8304B34C-9B11-43A3-9DAE-46BBFB536953.jpg

Most people who don't like wild turkey tried to pluck and roast one but forgot that wild turkey's aren't self-basting. Call your grandma, there's a reason she was up @ 03:30 Thanksgiving morning.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its almost not fare in the spring taking a big boy just trying to get a little phoon-tang after a long cold winter,I said almost it sure makes a guy get giddy when the gun goes "bang" and its DBD.

spikes!.jpg

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8B096348-257B-4F16-8E90-87789C44442E.jpg I’ve got some cooking right now.
BBB9FD75-7643-4950-97AF-C315695E2324.jpg

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been my experience that turkey breasts can be used in any chicken recipe. One year we threw a couple in the roaster with Thanksgiving bird. No one, not even my smart ass inlaw knew the difference.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A wild turkey is a giant pheasant.

The meat MAY require a tenderizing hammer if you bread and fry it. In fact; I'll say WILL. IDGAS; I'll absorb the insults: 1. SDMF has it correct for soup although I'd still recommend a meat hammer. B. My favorite is a crockpot and mushroom soup: Add your own seasonings and serve with mashed potatoes on top of two slices of buttered rustic bread. Either allows for use of the thighs and drumsticks.

A potpie also logically incorporates all meat (hammer for legs/thighs) and is a good diversion for women.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm aghast at the recoil Dirty experienced to fill his tag. My .308 buddy (from the PBZ thread) kills his birds with a .22LR; mostly not head shots.

Dirty's Hevi-shot shell didn't have significant energy advantage per pellet at 40yds over a low brass field load with the same size shot. It's all about density of pattern.

Not trying to insult Dirty. Ammo is scarce. Holy hell. IME; recoil dynamics are entirely different from an aimed scattergun.

- - - Updated - - -

For .22lr FWIW:

https://youtu.be/6blN4_l00b0

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That is Snow using Hevi-shot. I can't afford that stuff!!! I just shoot them at 10 yards where it doesn't really matter what you are throwing at them, which is going to be rocks pretty soon if the ammo shortage drags on and on and on.

I wish I had the power of hindsight. If I would have spent half of the money on shells that I did on booze from age 20 to age 30, I would have never needed to buy another box of shells of any kind for the rest of my life and I'd sure be a lot better off for it.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Holy retardation. The above vid is Hoyt Arrow Placement on Turkey. It's a good deal.

Sorry Dirty: Holy hell Snow.

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A wild turkey is a giant pheasant.

Dirty's Hevi-shot shell didn't have significant energy advantage per pellet at 40yds over a low brass field load with the same size shot. It's all about density of pattern.

Not trying to insult Dirty. Ammo is scarce. Holy hell. IME; recoil dynamics are entirely different from an aimed scattergun.

- - - Updated - - -

I beg to differ, it is all about ENERGY per pellet.

(mass and velocity)

(and obviously shot placement) Ha

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hevi shot....let's talk density compared to steel 50% more dense,I don't use hevi 13(turkey ammo) which is more dense than standard hevi shot not (hevi metal) now for the turkey hunter hard cores "hevi 18" but really spendy,federal has the same cc./g per pellet,tests on hevi 18 at 50yds full choke put 230 pellets inside a 30" circle in #7 shot 3.5" cartridge,been on board with hevi shot since the mid 90's,10% more dense than lead 50% more dense than steel= more kinectic energy down range than lead and steel combined,these are facts,expensive yes hevi shot pellets tungsen iron,nickle and tin,this ammo paired with a briley ported extended choke in .665 constriction is like shooting a basket ball at 40 yards with major ramification on horney gobbler.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a hot pheasant load out of a 20g has always worked for me

you just have to get in close

I recommend feeders/blinds

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually take a small hen in my back 40 with a .22 long rifle as we have so dang many in my area,hell had a big ole Tom chasing the neighbor kid walking down the sidewalk the other day,mean son of a beech,damn head was turning all kinds of colors purple red,blue,I went after him with a rack,on occassion I'll get invited on a sit and shoot turkey hunt but I'm not one to sit for to long,years ago pheasant hunting in nebraska near kearney we had land to hunt along the platte river,farmers hated these turkey's as they shit all over their driveway eating acorns,actually it was the misses giving the old man a earful,old boy would tell us where the turkey roost tree was,non -rez we paid $5/tag just before sunrise we would pick out a big black target ,let er buck.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys and your turkey loads. Winchester expert steel 2 shot is generally all i have laying around, i have yet to see a turkey talk back to me from it. ...... ill be honest there is exactly 0 shotgun loads i would want to be shot with and would assume any of these loads to a turkeys head will do the trick. find the one that patterns best from your gun and you will be fine.:);:;rofl

Last edited:

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to make your wild turkey taste more like one from the store? Try soaking in a brine before roasting or smoking. After carving, boil the carcass for stock and use the remaining meat to make a soup. I don't even like soup but I love that stuff. If that doesn't suit you I recommend Breaded/Fried turkey nuggets, everyone I have served these to has enjoyed them. Having a conversation with a turkey and then suddenly seeing him approach full strut with the occasional gobble = one of my favorite things to witness. Sometimes they seem stupid easy to kill but most people that say that probably have killed a handful on private ranches where the population has reached "pest" level. They are similar to mature bucks being relatively "easy" to kill during the rut, IMO. Good luck to all the tag owners, I will be traveling to a new ND unit this year as well as a nonresident tag on one of those "pest" level ranches in MN

Mommawolf

My boyfriend and I drew a tag. So did my daughter's fiance. So we have 3 tags in unit 19. Been out scouting all week and have yet to see anything. Already starting to worry 😟

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen some groups of mature Tom’s walking around together lately . The young jakes seam to be more interested in hens right now . Calling a mature Tom in this weekend will be impossible . Might just have to plug one out the kitchen window .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76