Spring gobblers

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have held fire for a Butterball!
I second that! I was at elk camp in Colorado a few years ago and this one guy was hot to get a turkey. He asked me if I had ever shot one and I told him a few. He wondered how great they tasted. I told him you roast the bird, take a slice off both sides of the breast, and then throw the SOB in a soup pot with water and boil it for a few hours. Pick the meat off the bones and it makes some damn good soup! Other than that, it isn't worth crap!

Last edited:

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second that! I was at elk camp in Colorado a few years ago and this one guy was hot to get a turkey. He asked me if I had ever shot one and I told him a few. He wondered how great they tasted. I told him you roast the bird, take a slice off both sides of the breast, and then throw the SOB in a soup pot with water and boil it for a few hours. Pick the meat off the bones and it makes some damn good soup! Other than that, it isn't worth crap!
You're doing it wrong !!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
besides agreeing on the awesome pics and good work involving kids. whoever up a ways mentioned deep frying them with skin on.... i am amazed that is even an option. my only experiences with wild turkeys involved having to skin them because there was so much yellow fat on the breast. one must have been 1.5 inches or more. i surmised deep frying that much fat would be an issue and not really tasty. not the case?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77