I hate Elk

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have 8 food plot spots (80 miles apart) with all but two with elk and moose. Moose are find. Have over 12 bull moose with four of them nice and the fifth with double drop tang. All they do is lay on the hay all day and keep whitetail away.
But elk, I quit feeding at one spot two months ago and just yesterday went for a walk to that spot.

ElK trail goes to east about a mile, then north past a large cattail spot and then up into canada and as far as my binocular could see. Also goes west then south down to the food plot and then down to spot where i planted trees. One picture of place they been living by trees north somewhat.
Yes, I feed and they will come. 1.8 acres at this plot and neighbors have posted land around me. Good for my whitetail but bad for all the elk i have. Of all the picture i have over the last five years maybe five in the day time.
So one way or another the elk will not be there next year.

Plan is to build more fence. When they go south they go through a small opening in tree and my solar fencer will go up there today. Wish i had 220 volts.
One picture of 75 trees i planted last spring up there. Gone, other tree about 15 foot tall is tree i plant about 15 years ago. Will be Christmas tree for house next December.

Did i say i hate Elk and they will not be there next year? If i did not i do. db
and as in the past they will not leave a shed.

Attachments

DSC00124.jpg DSC00126.jpg DSC00128.jpg DSC00131.jpg DSC00133.jpg DSC00132.jpg DSC00125.jpg
Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feet see the sheds border truck window spreader shoot tractor mileage work reward trophy electrocute moose meece punctuate.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A past picture before i quit feeding of smaller elk.
Elk and moose not seeing eye to eye in one picture. db

- - - Updated - - -

AS i walk up there from time to time I will past on obtaining some wolves to bring in. db

- - - Updated - - -

try that one more time for me sdmf. Looking for any idea. db

Attachments

DSC00093.jpg MFDC1194.jpg MFDC1171.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
EMP rattlesnakes claymore liability bears fancy lawyer stuff tagless electric chair poaching ninjas.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like quite the project db keeping the your private herd fed...good grief looks like you have quite the spread,how many acres,curious looking at the game trail coming up the plowing.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ya ya ya, broken record, invite hunters up to help alleviate the problem. You have pictures of them in your feeder on 11/5/20. Im sure they were there during season. You throw out a few bales of alfalfa and come sunrise there head will still be in the bales. Elk are creatures of habit, they keep coming back, as they come to the feed.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to invite up some poachers chun.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
db-2,

Thanks for posting those pictures of what bull elk do to evergreen trees. They love them. When their velvet starts to peel they seek out evergreens partly because pine tar drives away flies.

Some sportsmen were pressuring a bull so he hid in my dad's tree grove around the yard. My dad didn't know he was in the yard until he noticed a pile of damage to hand planted spruce and ponderosa. Six foot reduced to two foot.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since this is about your 20th post about hating elk, I'd turn up the crazy on your next couple posts and start blazing the high power at them. Then you could enter an insanity plea.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally enjoy seeing your pics and reading about your adventures with them DB.
Hate the damage they can cause and can relate.
Darn beautiful animal though.
They are all over town here in Payson. Walk down the street like they own the place. They do own it as they were here first.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kentucky:

Thanks for the four option. Will consider and now I feel with your help i have a plan. db

- - - Updated - - -

Again thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a thought, If you put up electric fence make a weak point every so far or if they get those huge horns tangled they dont tear the whole thing down. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
labrant:

Thanks and i am sure that will be a problem. Seen deer before with a whole lot of wire on horns walking around.
One person said put beer can on wire and elk will sniff that first.
Will be a learning experience. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used the beer can trick to train calves. It works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105