I hate Elk

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
labrant:

Thanks and i am sure that will be a problem. Seen deer before with a whole lot of wire on horns walking around.
One person said put beer can on wire and elk will sniff that first.
Will be a learning experience. db

I wonder where you can get some beer cans from DB?? :;:huh

Might be able to find an Old Mil can or two around. ;:;rofl

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally enjoy seeing your pics and reading about your adventures with them DB.
Hate the damage they can cause and can relate.
Darn beautiful animal though.
They are all over town here in Payson. Walk down the street like they own the place. They do own it as they were here first.

Agreed BBJ as stated above creatures of habit pics are interesting,from the alaskan pipeline back in the 80's when I was working in prudhoe bay caribou trying to figure out a new route to migrate ....too Estes park colorado,these critters take over the town as they lost winter grazing territory....to JacksonHole wyoming they winter in the valley where the town feeds them during winter months as they depend on human donation for food all winter.but db has an interesting life events with these critters thanx for sharing db.

Could be worse if you had a feral buffalo herd up there...

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the kind words BBJ and Snow:

Working on a fifth option as i assume Kentucky, Captain and one less dog will not look at my replies any more.:;:howdy:;:howdy:;:howdy:;:howdy:;:rockit

And yes Captain one would think when they come up at night for the hay and feed they would be there in the daylight also.
But no, after 5 years and many, many pictures i only have two of a spike elk in the daytime. Moose love to lay around all day and night and lay on the hay but the elk leave before daylight. So if one wants to sit for five years every day you would of got to see a spike elk twice. I do leave my camera up year round.

But I and my old mill drinking buddy got our second shot after dinner on Friday. From there the two of us ended up at the local bar for about 10 hours. Had no pain or ill effect from the shot later that night and i believe no ill effect the next morning. However, not completely sure on that as it might of been mask.

All is well and only one beer can on wire. See what camera will show in a few days. db

Attachments

DSC00009.jpg

Lando

Established Member
Hate is half the sauce.

I hate them so much......but they taste so damn good.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 3.40.13 PM.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A completely unrelated happy accident, I’m sure. Good luck with your elk problem, db. :;:smokin

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/lo...f41d04c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

State game officials investigating elk illegally shot in McKenzie County

North Dakota Game and Fish enforcement officials are investigating the shooting of two bull elk near Keene. Authorities believe the elk were shot on Feb. 17.

Two bull elk were illegally killed and left lying mostly intact last week in McKenzie County, according to state wildlife officials who are investigating.

No meat was taken from either animal, but the head of one elk was cut off, according to Region 3 Warden Supervisor Doug Olson. The bull that was left intact had six points on each side of its rack and was of respectable size, officials said.

“I presume the other one was bigger,” Olson said.

It's unclear if the bull would have qualified as a trophy but "he was by no means a little guy," District Game Warden Joe Lucas said.

"I think most people would be pretty happy to harvest a bull that size," he said.

A taxidermist can’t legally mount a big game head without documentation that it was legally taken.

The elk were found about a mile north and a mile east of the McKenzie County Road 55 roundabout north of Keene, Olson said. Authorities believe they were shot in the afternoon or evening of Feb. 17.

An elk tag is a prized draw for North Dakota resident hunters, who can shoot only one elk in a lifetime in the state. To have two mature bulls shot and left to waste is “pretty sad to see,” Lucas said.

Shooting an elk out of season is a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail and a $3,000 fine. Lesser misdemeanor charges of wanton waste and hunting without a tag also could be filed, Lucas said. A violator also could be made to pay restitution to the state and could lose hunting privileges, Lucas said.

Investigators are still following up on leads, Olson said. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Lucas at 701-770-0082. Information can be left anonymously through the Report All Poachers program by calling 701-328-9921.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bed wetter:

Look like a decent set of horns and i would think someone or two might be a little nervous right now as they should be.
A person by me got caught with one to many elk (3 and all dead) this fall. Not sure what happen to him.

It is getting to look like at my age i will never get a elk, moose or ram tag. Not sure if i will get another mule deer or for that matter a muzzle loader tag again. Got a lot of points. Thank God for my bow.
A point to mention, if i was a land owner up here i can get more than that one tag only for elk. But do not have enough land. db

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have 8 food plot spots (80 miles apart) with all but two with elk and moose. Moose are find. Have over 12 bull moose with four of them nice and the fifth with double drop tang. All they do is lay on the hay all day and keep whitetail away.
But elk, I quit feeding at one spot two months ago and just yesterday went for a walk to that spot.

ElK trail goes to east about a mile, then north past a large cattail spot and then up into canada and as far as my binocular could see. Also goes west then south down to the food plot and then down to spot where i planted trees. One picture of place they been living by trees north somewhat.
Yes, I feed and they will come. 1.8 acres at this plot and neighbors have posted land around me. Good for my whitetail but bad for all the elk i have. Of all the picture i have over the last five years maybe five in the day time.
So one way or another the elk will not be there next year.

Plan is to build more fence. When they go south they go through a small opening in tree and my solar fencer will go up there today. Wish i had 220 volts.
One picture of 75 trees i planted last spring up there. Gone, other tree about 15 foot tall is tree i plant about 15 years ago. Will be Christmas tree for house next December.

Did i say i hate Elk and they will not be there next year? If i did not i do. db
and as in the past they will not leave a shed.

I highly recommend that you rename the post - and make sure you do not make a reference to Keene

Retired RR

The beer cans worked for the garden. Or maybe its because I was laying out there trying to make enough empty beer cans to hang.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dam slobs shoot things out of season and illegally.
ND needs to put the penalty up there to like $25,000 - $50,000 in fine money and jail time to 10 years. Maybe just maybe this would be a deterrent?

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short:

No way will i let the elk dig me deeper into anything and have no idea how to change topic heading. V maybe you can change it to i love elk.
Not sure but i assume one can protect his tree from elk with an electric fence, db

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The edit function does not work on topic headings. Once you post a topic you cannot edit the heading.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
stop it you guyz,I dumped my coffee on my key board....funny shit!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dam slobs shoot things out of season and illegally.
ND needs to put the penalty up there to like $25,000 - $50,000 in fine money and jail time to 10 years. Maybe just maybe this would be a deterrent?
I agree BBJ - as ND doesn't have a real good population of Elk, poaching them should have a hefty fine here for being stupid.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
And once you change your name to Bed Wetter it stays that way. Or so I’m told.

Decisions have consequences....I’m positive I’ve heard that somewhere before....crap I better go sit in the corner and have a coke, I could be banned by twitter or youtube for such pontifications

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75