johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just put in for the Big 3 lotto, thanks for the reminder and all

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the way MT does it for the headhunting poacher scum

I like that, And the kill crazy poachers that are out target practicing on live game the fine should double itself with every animal shot.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked to a friend who is a farmer/rancher in the same area as db and it's a bigger problem than I had imagined. They must be heading west because we are starting to see a few tracks. Probably time for a few more licenses.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Educator:
The River runs between us. Poach Elk stay on the west side and i stay on the east side. db

Davey my problem is no where like those of the land owners around the peace Garden. To a certain degree, if you have a permit to hunt in that area it would be like hunting a rancher's cows standing out in the pasture.. And Canada is no help with the issues. North side of border it is a park while south side it is private land with all kinds of food for the Elk in winter.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
db: are you between Metigoshe and the Peace Garden? If so do you get over to the A-Frame or DockSide at all? Both of my favorite watering holes. Like to meet up some time. Will be back to Metigoshe cabin in early May when ice goes out.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been to both a number of times. Maybe Calvin Clinic. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife and i went to bar at 4 and it is now 11:30.

Met with guy who lives south of peace gardens. Said on Sunday him and his friend counted over 270 Elk in his pasture after several counts.
Went to friends land and counted over 170 at his pasture and then to another spot and after over 100 counts went home. Number of bulls and he felt some where nice. Now for shed hunting for me.

Now some have told me so what and maybe so what.

But friend stated the Elk have done so much damage to fence, hay, ect and game and fish have also told him so what.
He said his friend flew a plane with others and after 3 passes on US side average a count of over 900 Elk.
Not sure how many tags are issue up there but there is a problem IMHO.

So for what it is worth and game and fish has told me over the last five years also so what, there is an issue.
Another friend had an Elk tag. After feeding his cows in the morning went up to some of his land by border. A bunch of Elk out there including 7 bulls. Pick the largest out and end of hunt. Just like shooting his cow in a pasture.

Game and and fish there is an issue believe it or not with Elk up there. db

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
25 any elk tags and 35 antlerless elk tags were issued for E1W in 2020, I believe gratis tags come from that same pool but am not 100%

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thanks Botnojoe

I'm not the one with the book learning nor am i in charge of managing the Elk but:

if the bar talk had any truth to it and i am sure it did, then it seems a few more licenses could be issue. No/yes
When winter comes a lot of elk come down from the Canadian side (mainly wood and park) to feed on the rancher's land and hay in the US. Appears the main concentration of Elk are at the peace garden area and to the east.
Maybe a later season on Elk to keep them in Canada longer.

Does e1w cover the entire turtle mt?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
elk.jpg

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks Botnojoe

I'm not the one with the book learning nor am i in charge of managing the Elk but:

if the bar talk had any truth to it and i am sure it did, then it seems a few more licenses could be issue. No/yes
When winter comes a lot of elk come down from the Canadian side (mainly wood and park) to feed on the rancher's land and hay in the US. Appears the main concentration of Elk are at the peace garden area and to the east.
Maybe a later season on Elk to keep them in Canada longer.

Does e1w cover the entire turtle mt?

Yes, E1W does cover the entire turtle mountains

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just talked to Jason, a game warden in Jamestown (320-2750), who takes care of the elk in the mountains.

Stated there last count had 300 elk up there but he did say there are probably about 5-600. My cowboys up there had no idea how to count it appears.
Canada will not work with them on this and i knew this as i have visited with Canada on this issue. The only thing they have done is taken black bear from the dump grounds in Winneapeg and transported them to the mountains two years ago.

But the biggest thing he stated that the land owners they have talk to do not want any more tags given out and they are concern to upset said landowners.
Bull crab. And i know a few land owners up there that would say bull crap to that to. All one needs to do is ask and show respect to the owners. It will go a long way.

I grew up on a farm, my two brothers farm and i understand not wanting people from Fargo walking on my land. But as landowners who chops every tree down so your auto steer works while you watch whatever on your computer:
you can all kiss my ass when you push your personal agenda that only benefits you along with the fact a landowner can get multiple elk tags while the rest of us tax payers may get one if any. Then you ask me to supply you with hay and fences and ect cause only you feed the deer. How much do you want?

And God bless the rancher for the calves he brings into this world for the steaks i eat. I love you and do appreciate every one of you.
But there are more than just you walking the face of this earth and Jason do not let them control you and not look out for the good of the Elk. We are all in this.

So i was told to shut up by some on here and i guess i can do that but there will be no elk at my food plot in future. I will take care of it within legal means. I have made my statements.

So i have had a minute to think about what i just wrote and i will leave it as such and the crab i may get and will be spending the rest of the day walking in the brush looking for sheds. And retirement life is good. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
5 hours of walking for two and 4 sheds. Not the best but a great day for the soul in the bush with another one on Saturday and then more later. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A hand full of days ago i was walking in the brush and a small herd of moose where in the distance with some horns on.
However later a herd of elk came next to me and one had scars where his horns where but some still had there horns on. Buddy did find a nice side of one elk and a total of 3 elk sheds where found along with two smaller moose.
As can be seen by the date on camera i did have two of my friends come up to my stand. I was surprise to see new growth on the two elk. Did not realize they started making new horns this earlier.
They did, it appears, run into my cans and they will be gone in time. db

Attachments

MFDC3437.jpg MFDC3434.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87