Lost My Hunting Buddy This Morning

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s the last and often the most loving thing we can do for them and the hardest thing for us to do. Prayers for you and yours! We have a painting that a relative did of our first dog when he was a puppy that remains a great reminder of what a special partner he was. Missouri Valley used to send out a card a couple days later that has a paw print on it that they make after you leave. I was not prepared to get that in the mail and I stood in the kitchen and bawled when I opened it. I still have it though all these years later.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So very sorry for your loss! Every time one of our group suffer a loss like this I shed tears. Our yellow lab Katie passed 5 yrs ago was very hard on us. Last night as I read these posts our springer Molly was sitting in the easy chair with me. I was crying again. But I wouldn’t change a thing. I wouldn’t have all the great memories and love that our great companions shared with us!

Last edited:

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear of the loss of your buddy. Each and every one leave an imprint on my soul and while the pain never goes totally away from losing any of them, each has a portion of me forever. For me, training a new one in time helps, but once I pass the Rainbow bridge, having them all smother me will be worth the pain here on earth. God's speed!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So so sad to put your friend to rest. So sorry for your loss.

We have memorialized Sammie with a 14"X 20" collage of photos (nine) of the good times and have her urn on the mantle of our fireplace. She's been gone for 14 years and thnk about her every day. That is very easy to do if you mount the framed collage in the right spot in the house.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your loss...time heals all wounds. Many have posted some good advice, take solace in the fact that she is in a better place now.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sorry to hear about your buddy, it's so hard to see our furry friends leave us. I will agree with you 100% on how Missouri Valley Vet treats these situations. My lab of 12 years succumbed to injuries he sustained from a fight with some other dog or animal last fall. Before he passed he was kept alive by the folks at MVV and when he finally left us they let my wife and I say goodbye to him in a private way and I'm sure they heard me whaling in the back. Then they send you a card with a print of his paw which was very nice of them to do but then the tears started flowing all over again. Time heals all, I wish you luck getting over your loss.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya, my friend. I thought I couldn't get a better dog than the one I just put down a few weeks ago and was determined to be without a dog in these later years of life. My buddy asked me, "how are you going to go through a day without a dog by your side?" I had never thought of that until he said it. Two nights later I was online looking for a pup.

Be damned if I didn't find a yellow lab pup born on New Year's Day. Put down my earnest money and now he'll be coming home with me this coming weekend. *sigh* Man, i'm all pumped up again! I've made a few visits to spend time with him. What a personality he has..... I'll never forget my buddy, though. He was amazing. I now have to put those same hours into the new tyke and I think he'll be just as special as the last one.

Rooney.jpg

So sorry to hear about your buddy. I had to do the same in November. One of the toughest things i have had to do. Thought i would wait but it didn’t last long and got my new pup on Friday. I forgot what the puppy stage was like.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74