More wasted tax dollars by the G&F

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
“Trout-People” are the Walleye haters.[/QUOTE

Walleye fishing on the Columbia River is a BIG deal and walleye compete with river run salmon and trout.

What fishery has trout and walleye in it where walleye are not wanted? Have never encountered it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What fishery has trout and walleye in it where walleye are not wanted? Have never encountered it.

Hebgen Lake Montana. If I'm not mistaken, it's ILLEGAL to release any walleye that are caught.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Walleye fishing on the Columbia River is a BIG deal and walleye compete with river run salmon and trout.

Canyon Ferry in MT is one where they want to eradicate all walleye and pike. Alcova lake in WY has a 12 walleye limit to help reduce the walleye population too. Never heard of more than a couple being caught there at one time but the game and fish really wants to get rid of them. The trout fishermen would not like walleye if they started to harm the trout population.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hebgen Lake Montana. If I'm not mistaken, it's ILLEGAL to release any walleye that are caught.

This is all I could find on Hebgen Lake. We drive by it twice a year back in forth from CA to Metigoshe. No mention of walleyes.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.53.34 PM.jpg

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^SD: So false I can't believe you posted this. The Tailrace is a wonderful place because of diversity and features the option to target a specific species. By-catches often yield incredible unintended specimens which provide education. If smaller waters are managed for a select species; so be it: Good to go.

Walleye will never be a "nuisance". They have a distorted rep of being the most toothsome because they somehow delay their slime until on the fillet board: I use just as many paper towels with walleye as with pike, etc.

Now, before argument; check if it stems from bruised ego or fact. I'm not trying to create another enemy. I'm going to have another beer and eat a couple cans of spaghetti.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is all I could find on Hebgen Lake. We drive by it twice a year back in forth from CA to Metigoshe. No mention of walleyes.

1683822076671.png

I misremembered. It’s lake trout from Yellowstone Lake that cannot be released.

That said, trout people don’t even like trout unless it’s just the right trout in just the right spot.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I misremembered. It’s lake trout from Yellowstone Lake that cannot be released.

That said, trout people don’t even like trout unless it’s just the right trout in just the right spot.

???

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am going to imagine that list is quite long when we look past ND borders. We even have trout based fisheries that I can't imagine NDGF wants walleye (and even more importantly, pike) included in the fishing opportunities for that body of water. There have been trout fisheries like Kota Ray, Arroda Lakes, etc that have been managed for trout. The truth of the matter though is that walleye aren't very "natural" to even ND bodies of water. And that's why then need heavy stocking across ND with the exception of the Missouri and Red to maintain the current populations, they need a sand/gravel substrate for successful spawning. Those aren't nearly as common in ND as it is in other parts of the country.

Anyway: Trout vs. Walleye: A look at the battle between the species and their anglers in Wyoming | Open Spaces | trib.com

And on a general note, I am not at all against this kind of research. Note how they tied it to other species that we consider unwanted in ND? The general concept in fish and amphibian's gender being environmentally influenced has been known for a long time. Have to imagine there are periods of time in a fish egg's development that hormones may do the same thing. FlyCarpin may be able to better understand the concepts/goals/success in such an endeavor.

- - - Updated - - -

Another interesting story, but very different topic when it comes to walleyes and ND.

Small lakes boost the popularity of walleye fishing in North Dakota (yahoo.com)

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to imagine that list is quite long when we look past ND borders. We even have trout based fisheries that I can't imagine NDGF wants walleye (and even more importantly, pike) included in the fishing opportunities for that body of water. There have been trout fisheries like Kota Ray, Arroda Lakes, etc that have been managed for trout. The truth of the matter though is that walleye aren't very "natural" to even ND bodies of water. And that's why then need heavy stocking across ND with the exception of the Missouri and Red to maintain the current populations, they need a sand/gravel substrate for successful spawning. Those aren't nearly as common in ND as it is in other parts of the country.

Anyway: Trout vs. Walleye: A look at the battle between the species and their anglers in Wyoming | Open Spaces | trib.com

And on a general note, I am not at all against this kind of research. Note how they tied it to other species that we consider unwanted in ND? The general concept in fish and amphibian's gender being environmentally influenced has been known for a long time. Have to imagine there are periods of time in a fish egg's development that hormones may do the same thing. FlyCarpin may be able to better understand the concepts/goals/success in such an endeavor.

- - - Updated - - -

Another interesting story, but very different topic when it comes to walle yes and ND.

Small lakes boost the popularity of walleye fishing in North Dakota (yahoo.com)

I know that back 50 years ago all fish in Strawberry Lake (in Turtle Mtns) were poisioned and rainbow trout were introduced. They are still there as a trout fishery because no one has dumped northerns or walleye in the lake (amazingly). That isn't really a fishery that G & F wants to keep from walleye (that has walleye), rather it is a lake that has been set aside as a trout fishery and it has remained a trout fishery. I just don't think it is in the same category. Maybe my thinking is wrong.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF. Show me an area that wants to kill off walleyes!

lake cascade in Idaho where they catch this big perch and mountain carp (trout) you get 100 dollars for every walleye you catch. My brother is going to go up this summer with slow death and hopefully make some money . Trout people hate any with teeth that can hurt their special fish

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye: Change from 8 to a 16-fish daily limit

The rules, approved at the Commission’s December meeting in Bellingham, were the result of legislation passed in 2019 by the Washington State Legislature, and intended to help aid the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whale population by reducing the risk of predation on salmon smolts by these warmwater species.

Lake roosevelt

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at dis shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Its all about shamooo

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Look up "Native Trout Restoration" and you'll see all sorts of multi-million dollar projects aimed at reducing or eradicating introduced trout species in favor of what someone determined as "Native" trout species.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree fully with Allen, if they can transfer this to invasive species it would be very worthwhile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75