Clam Sled Runners

RRmaniac

Established Member
Got a clam thermal x, and think I want to add runners to it. Haven't heard great things about the kits they sell, so I was thinking about using UHMW strips. Has anyone else tried this? If so, would 3/8 be about the right thickness? Also wondering what type of screws I should use.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do this instead. Total cost = $19/pair of the hydraulic version https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Up-To...var=442469779046&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I realize these are sold out on the link I posted but plenty out there....I have a couple extra pairs if needed (for some reason I didn't realize they're sold in pairs ;:;banghead)

$3.99 for skis from the thrift store

Pulls like a dream. Hydraulic system unfazed by winter cold or weight of my gear. For some reason I can't post pics of my own setup, but here's the video I got the idea from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kvajOfH6g

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exsledent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI.... contact #guywhojerririgs on this site,he is the master blaster of jerri rigging....lol.

Gotta admitt catdaddy has it goin on...old pair of head skis put to good use,I've got about 10 pair of old skis I've been bolting to the wall in my mud room for hanging my jackets and wet bib's etc,now cat gave me another great idea. thanx!

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do this instead. Total cost = $19/pair of the hydraulic version https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Up-To...var=442469779046&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I realize these are sold out on the link I posted but plenty out there....I have a couple extra pairs if needed (for some reason I didn't realize they're sold in pairs ;:;banghead)

$3.99 for skis from the thrift store

Pulls like a dream. Hydraulic system unfazed by winter cold or weight of my gear. For some reason I can't post pics of my own setup, but here's the video I got the idea from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kvajOfH6g

Genius.

I'd like to see video of that in action in some snow/rubble.

- - - Updated - - -

Hand-pulling would probably be fine but the mechanics probably wouldn't survive much sideways torque from an ATV or snowmobile.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I like about skis is if you are loading it into a pickup you can put a snatch block in the front of your pickup box and drill a hole in ski tips and thread your rope through the tips and you have an oilfield style "Loading hitch" . One person can pull the rope and load the sled with ease and without wrecking your back.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a clam thermal x, and think I want to add runners to it. Haven't heard great things about the kits they sell, so I was thinking about using UHMW strips. Has anyone else tried this? If so, would 3/8 be about the right thickness? Also wondering what type of screws I should use.

https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/11491-Clam-runner-kit-install?highlight=Clam+runners

This is the thread on my voyager xl Jason Mitchell full thermal runner install much better then the ones done on you tube

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
never had an issue pulling my trap behind my wheeler over the years factory sleds were heavy duty,after 4 or 5 years a new trap was in order,only wore out one sled but needed a new flip house anyway,on my 4th flip now.starting to show wear,no duct tape yet or burn holes.

Retired RR

What I like about skis is if you are loading it into a pickup you can put a snatch block in the front of your pickup box and drill a hole in ski tips and thread your rope through the tips and you have an oilfield style "Loading hitch" . One person can pull the rope and load the sled with ease and without wrecking your back.
I use my ATV ramps. I can't lift even the end into truck by myself.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I have the Jason Mitchell Clam XL Thermal. It's pretty heavy with gear. I use a little trailer to haul it. Most guys use ramps to load it into truck. I drug it out on 5 inches this year, never again. I'll use trailer or not go.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a 3/8 diameter 4x8 sheet of the plastic from menards, then ripped 3-4 in wide strips, used a heat gun to bend the plastic to match the contour of my tub. Only bolted the front and rear edges (2 in front and 2 in rear) none on the bottom (1/4 bolts with washers and lock nut). I have ran the tub for 5-6 years with no issues behind my wheeler and ranger loaded with gear. You will have enough plastic left over to do it again or do a buddies tub.. Good luck

RRmaniac

Established Member
Genius.

I'd like to see video of that in action in some snow/rubble.

- - - Updated - - -

Hand-pulling would probably be fine but the mechanics probably wouldn't survive much sideways torque from an ATV or snowmobile.
As cool as that setup looks, I think it probably wouldn't hold up to being pulled by a wheeler also. I am kind of looking for runners that would work behind a four-wheeler. If I ever have to pull it by hand, I'll just throw it on my smitty. As far as it goes for a factory kit for the Thermal X, the only one I saw only did the two outside ribs of the sled, and I think I would prefer all four done. I will probably look into the 3/8 stuff that TakItEz mentioned. As far as it goes for fasteners, some sort of machine screws and lock nuts maybe?

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got UHMW plastics from an online source. 3" strips I think. Drilled them and then countersunk the holes so my screws would be under the runner surface. They went on easy and are crazy durable. I have no issue pulling my sled across nearly anything. One time got stuck in a bad spot and had to take bare pavement with a few skiffs of snow about 3 miles back to the truck. Runners didn't even blink. I took off the Clam runners as the grooved design made it nearly impossible to pull in some conditions. UHMW is way, way better.

Smitty sleds are awesome for hand pulling in snow. Not sure why you would need or want one if you are pulling behind a sled or ATV though.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smitty sleds are awesome for hand pulling in snow. Not sure why you would need or want one if you are pulling behind a sled or ATV though.

Completely agree. I missed that this was for use behind ATV. I pull by hand and it's been a game changer. I second UHMW strips for pulling behind a powered machine.

Good luck!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Completely agree. I missed that this was for use behind ATV. I pull by hand and it's been a game changer. I second UHMW strips for pulling behind a powered machine.

Good luck!

Your setup is sweet for sure with a shack like that. I'm afraid the Smitty I am going to build won't be quite as nimble once the weight of the entire families gear gets put on there LOL! But regardless they make a barge into darn near an airplane, way easier to pull!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76