East end of sak

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
Can a guy still drive a half ton truck with a zack shack on the east end around mallard island after today?

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I heard reports the water level is dropping and is creating issues with the ice. Anyone hearing/seeing the same thing.

also, SUV fell through in Douglas bay over the weekend. Must have been over a shallow island as they were able to pull it out same day.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was in Douglas last Friday ice was 24” where I fished and drove all over off of guard camp, that being said ice will change daily and with warmer temps and late in season it’s going to be short lived! As long as you go slow and make sure you know what’s in front of you you will be fine, there isn’t much snow so you can read ice relatively easy! Pretty simple know before you go across anything that don’t look right. The ground is not froze as solid as the ice so the edges will probably go out first this year with the mild weather and longer days! Be safe no fish is worth the risk been there and done that.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I was hoping to do a long drive on the ice first weekend in March for spearing. Looking like plan B

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on the west end (McKenzie bay) last weekend, there was about 22 inches. We did fish by one pressure ridge, and the hole we drill right next to the ridge once through had water gushing out of it, and flooding the ice around us. After about 15 minutes and not bites we decided to move on.
Never really had an experience like that, but was unnerving.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
6 Mile Corner Bait & Tackle

Yesterday at 2:07 PM ·

It has been reported to me this afternoon with this high wind event and the warm temps that there is a lot of water on the top of the area lakes just a heads up to those who have fish houses on the water to have somebody check on them.
I just got mine off of stanky Bay and there was a lot of areas with two to four inches of water the wind is blowing the top of the ice and melting it at a fast rate

Go to his Facebook page and read the comments and look at the video.

Last edited:

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was there yesterday. 4 to 6 inches on top of water yesterday afternoon. With todays snow, and the warm temps in the 10 day forecast it would be like driving through a landmine field. It's absolutely not worth it at this point. Somebody is going in this weekend guaranteed.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got over 6 inches of heavy wet snow today. Guessing with all that weight on the ice, when you drill a hole the water is going to be pushed up thru it.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove on Wolf Creek on Sunday afternoon, all good. Lots of trucks and 24” of ice. Not sure what the 50+ degrees did to it on Monday though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove on Wolf Creek on Sunday afternoon, all good. Lots of trucks and 24” of ice. Not sure what the 50+ degrees did to it on Monday though.
That combined with 40mph winds, its going to be a sombitch

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone been on Audubon the last day or so? My house is till out there and was planning to pull it off this weekend? Are there still a lot of house of 83 by Totten?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah what a difference a week of WIND and warmer temps make. Add to that the longer days, and the ice looks way different. Last week at cattail bay there were at least 20 pickups driving all over. Sounded like quite the party out in front of Winona Island last Sat. Monday, one shack left and today they are all gone!!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like temps in the 40s/50s forecast all week...ice conditions gonna change quickly. Next weekend may be it for me this season, I'll be out of town the following weekend. Late ice can be great, but please be safe out there and check conditions be fore you venture out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76