Electric trolling motors

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s time for me to upgrade. I made the switch to Garmin last year. Garmin has their force trolling motor. I’m wondering if any of you have one and what your thoughts are on it? Also, what other brands should I consider that will be friendly with Garmin. Thanks

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about compatibility with Garmin, but I've been using the Motorguide Xi5 for 3 years...great unit. The transducer in the head unit is compatible with my Lowrance unit...no adapter required. I would guess if you go with a Motorguide or Minn Kota trolling motor, you'll need the adapter for your Garmin unit to read data from the transducer.

Retired RR

Kind of a racket in my mind that such and such goes with such and such. Running Minnkota and needing to upgrade electronics also.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you will have to go with the garmin force in order for it to be compatible without having to mount a separate transducer say you go with minnkota or motorguide.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of a racket in my mind that such and such goes with such and such. Running Minnkota and needing to upgrade electronics also.

GPS tech has been that way since it's inception. Magellan doesn't speak to Garmin and vice-versa. Lowrance had the market CORNERED for 5-7yrs regarding "chips" and individual lake maps until everyone else saw the value, at that point everyone had to start choosing sides. Then of course the advancement has gone further by incorporating the GPS communication into the bow-mount. Remember when a puck and a hose clamp was top-tier technology?

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get one that can follow the contour of the very accurate contour map, and map chip of the lakes you fish.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minnkota is all I have ever ran. Upgraded to the Terrova 112 last year. I like it.

Last edited:

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard bad reviews bout garmin trollin motor so far. Sucker is 3k, and the shaft isn't long enough from what I understand. Think its like 54".

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wish someone made a motor that would take me in and out - say 18' to 12', then make a nice sweeping turn, and take me back out, etc, etc, etc... settable depths of course...

i catch most of my fish on or just off ledges i guess...

sorry for the steal - not intended - no knowledge on the garmins...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wish someone made a motor that would take me in and out - say 18' to 12', then make a nice sweeping turn, and take me back out, etc, etc, etc... settable depths of course...

i catch most of my fish on or just off ledges i guess...

sorry for the steal - not intended - no knowledge on the garmins...

If you ran the course you want manually once you could repeat that track until you're dizzy, or limited, or out of whatever liquid you keep on board.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ran the course you want manually once you could repeat that track until you're dizzy, or limited, or out of whatever liquid you keep on board.

yup, and i do with the terrova to work the same area... would be nice to work an entire new shoreline in auto like i talked about if there are no fish in what you just covered...

first world problems and ideas i guess...

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Have heard bad reviews bout garmin trollin motor so far. Sucker is 3k, and the shaft isn't long enough from what I understand. Think its like 54".

Yeah, with that 54" shaft, it wouldn't work well with many walleye boats around here. It's pretty obvious to me that Garmin is chasing the bass crowd.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, with that 54" shaft, it wouldn't work well with many walleye boats around here. It's pretty obvious to me that Garmin is chasing the bass crowd.

I cannot imagine fishing for largemouth bass my entire life. I caught a few in Virginia and New Jersey, but they were not much for table fare. Since I came to CA in 1981 I think I have only done catch and release twice - once on a trout trip to BC and once on a Coho trip to Alaska. Both trips we were allowed to bring 10 fish home but the rest were released. My policy is fillet and release the carcass to feed the next generation of table fare!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone know the difference between the Terrova and Power drive models that both come with ipilot and a universal transducer?
Is the Terrova worth the extra $$$$?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know the difference between the Terrova and Power drive models that both come with ipilot and a universal transducer?
Is the Terrova worth the extra $$$$?

The terrova is much more responsive and you'll be able to better control your boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76