Got Perch?

Lando

Established Member
E9AAF853-93D2-46A7-A2EA-B045A9B0752F.jpg

84A70759-4EF2-4492-A840-94E7F1F6D196.jpg

I have only gotten a few on a fly, but they can be fun. I really would like to get into targeting crappie on a fly as well. I want to start filling the freezer with meat since my elk hunt was ;:;banghead

Any tips on catching these consistently with a fly? I have been using micro-jigs under a bobber, which can be quite eventful, but I would like to find some bigger players.

Thanks-spring is around the corner.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
here in minnesota once the water temps hit the 60's I'll take my 9' 5wt flyrod out on a calm morning or evening (flat water) work the edges of lilly pads with small poppers,colors or pattern doesn't matter but use a bumble bee or red/white popper,on occassion a small bass will wake you up,boy is that fun on a fly rod.

Lando,darn nice perch fly.... better have a couple made up as it looks deadly.,won't take long for a gator to shred it.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lando what setup do you use for pike 8wt or 10 wt? line type?tippet? curious, targetting pike in alaska I used my salmon setup 10' 10 wt,double tapper sinking 6x tippet.

I didn't have wire leaders back in my day of fly fishing pike like we see today,lost plenty of gators using mono tippets,even 20lb mono one nick from a sharp tooth,game over.

today...The RIO Toothy Critter Leaders are a great option that won’t break the bank, and they’re easy to use. Just loop them on like a regular leader, and then snap your flies on using the clasp on the front. The clasps also give your fly a better action, similar to a loop knot. The other option is using a tie-able wire leader material from RIO or Tyger Wire. For this, I use a butt section of 25-40 lb Maxima that’s 5-7 feet long, and then blood knot on a foot or so of wire leader material to the end of that. The heavy butt section enables you to turn over the big flies you throw for pike, and the wire keeps you from losing flies and fish.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I truly hope you can get here and try Audubon or the Tailrace. You sure as hell got it going on with the flies.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a good place on Boysen to try after ice out for big crappies. PM me

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Three Mile Corner (east of 83) offers about :) a "good mile" of shoreline access around a point with an exceptional flat on the west side (around the ramp). IME carp (shit ton) prefer the the deeper water east of the point.

Weekdays are always best. If you wait until the water is warm enough for goddamn jet skis don't even consider a weekend: Cavalcade of retardation on display with no regard for the angler.

GW/CO's are stretched beyond VERY thin in ND.

Don't forget to bring topwater presentations and 6/9in leeches. And your camera for reports on here! You've been given good info. Feed our reward centers with pics.:)

Lando

Established Member
Lando what setup do you use for pike 8wt or 10 wt? line type?tippet? curious, targetting pike in alaska I used my salmon setup 10' 10 wt,double tapper sinking 6x tippet.

I didn't have wire leaders back in my day of fly fishing pike like we see today,lost plenty of gators using mono tippets,even 20lb mono one nick from a sharp tooth,game over.

today...The RIO Toothy Critter Leaders are a great option that won’t break the bank, and they’re easy to use. Just loop them on like a regular leader, and then snap your flies on using the clasp on the front. The clasps also give your fly a better action, similar to a loop knot. The other option is using a tie-able wire leader material from RIO or Tyger Wire. For this, I use a butt section of 25-40 lb Maxima that’s 5-7 feet long, and then blood knot on a foot or so of wire leader material to the end of that. The heavy butt section enables you to turn over the big flies you throw for pike, and the wire keeps you from losing flies and fish.

I have anything from a 7 to a 12wt, all rigged with floating, int, and full-sink lines. As for leaders, I will use 7x7 or Vision Wire, but I am going to be playing with straight flouro this year.

I have a good place on Boysen to try after ice out for big crappies. PM me

Sent

Three Mile Corner (east of 83) offers about :) a "good mile" of shoreline access around a point with an exceptional flat on the west side (around the ramp). IME carp (shit ton) prefer the the deeper water east of the point.

Weekdays are always best. If you wait until the water is warm enough for goddamn jet skis don't even consider a weekend: Cavalcade of retardation on display with no regard for the angler.

GW/CO's are stretched beyond VERY thin in ND.

Don't forget to bring topwater presentations and 6/9in leeches. And your camera for reports on here! You've been given good info. Feed our reward centers with pics.:)

I was planning a spring break trip that way, but this cold snap got me nervous. I will be heading to NM/CO to chase pike for a week, but I hope to get out there very soon. Thanks for the tips and the encouragement-it hasn't gone unnoticed. I will try to repay all the kindness displayed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76