Control cables

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone had decent results cleaning sticky shifter cables ? My mercury kicker controls were getting stiff so I took them apart and tried gravity feeding Marvel mystery oil . That didn't help so I rigged up a hose and forced mystry oil through them with air, Same thing. Also tried wd-40 with air and they are still sticky. They look like new and have always been stored inside and dry so thought it's worth asking before I replace.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn’t it have an adjustment screw on the center or front of the control for friction? Or does it just shift hard from n to f or r?

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your not having any luck with anything else. Drill a very small hole in the cable and use a grease needle to shoot a little grease in. Then either be very careful and put a little silicone over the hole and tape or use some heat shrink, anything to keep sand, water etc... out. Has worked for me in the past. 51ycNXS+t7L._SX522_.jpg

eliminator

Honored Member
The best thing you can do is replace it. I have not had much luck trying to lube them---they should be sealed and if the seal gets bad you get water in them, they will go bad. This has been my experience with them and will save you much aggravation going forward.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn’t it have an adjustment screw on the center or front of the control for friction? Or does it just shift hard from n to f or r?

I had it all apart and the control itself works perfect and the cables look good from the outside with no kinks but they are stiff. I'll most likely follow eliminators advice and buy new cables unless there's a cure. The only think I can think of that they got dry and frayed or condensation set in.

- - - Updated - - -

If your not having any luck with anything else. Drill a very small hole in the cable and use a grease needle to shoot a little grease in. Then either be very careful and put a little silicone over the hole and tape or use some heat shrink, anything to keep sand, water etc... out. Has worked for me in the past. air3.JPG

Last ditch effort I might give it a shot on the outside of the boat where it flexes when the motor turns and heat shrink it shut. That's the most likely place they would be bad.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like it frayed somewhere and is binding. No expert here but if lube hasn't worked it would be where I start looking.....good luck!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62