Drotto boat trailer latch

Becker

Looking at buying one of these. I fish a lot by myself and loading/unloading can be tricky sometimes. Anyone use one and what do you think of them? Feedback appreciated, thanks

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the best additions I’ve made to my boat. Makes loading by yourself way easier. Every boat I own from here on out will have one.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Installed one this summer, hated it right away. Over shot it, missed it you name it. Adjusted about 1/2 dozen times, took it off boxed it and was about to mail it back after talking with them. Thought to try a couple different things first and ended up getting it set pretty decent. I really like it now. Don't exactly remember the steps that made it work, but takes a little tinkering. Couple other guys I know, it didn't work for them. ( patience to set up properly )

Becker

I should have asked what size boat people have. Maybe doesn’t matter. I have a 20 ft Lund Tyee. It’s not a cheap item so I’ll have to decide after I hear from more of you.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put one on my 386 Stratos last spring. I fish a fair amount by myself on the river. Best $$ I have spent! Now if I can teach my wife to back the trailer in, will have it made.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one on an 1850 tyee on a roller trailer and it worked awesome. I wouldn't own a roller trailer without one. I now have a 1850 Reata on a bunk with a drotto (they make a special model for rangers since their eye is so high on the bow) and it works ok but on a steep ramp it catches on my TM every time. Loading works as it should tho. I fish solo more often than not and they are worth the money.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll take "What is the best addition to your boat for $1000 please Alex". Literally the best item I have added on to my boat. Get one and don't look back.

GSP22366

Warrior 193- took some adjusting, but great for those of us with grey hair. Makes loading and unloading much safer!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 20 ft fiberglass and it works great.

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on the other side. I have a 3 inch model I will sell if it will fit your boat. I believe they are great for unloading, not so special for loading. Maybe I'm to old to learn new tricks.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy has a 621 Ranger, works slick.

Brian, try backing in your trailer just a little further. I know my boat we still hit the trailer pretty good, but it works if the guy driving can pull in straight. My partner is getting good at it, and I never have to get my feet wet.

bpaulson

Have one and its the greatest thing since the boat trailer itself. Use it on a Lund Tyee 1950 GS with a roller trailer. I usually hit the latch on the first approach unless very windy. Having the top of trailer fenders just above the water works best for me when loading.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, and Brian, if you're serious on selling it...How much?

Eyelife

Got Drotto’s on both my boats, 1950 Lund Tyee Magnum with bunks & Lund 16 Pro Angler tiller with roller trailer. One word, awesome!

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried it on my dads boat for a couple of weeks last year and he hated it, broke the trim of the front of his Crestliner. Had me take it off the next day. I have the 3.75 inch on on my 1950 Tyee with roller trailer and am not liking it a whole bunch either but will keep adjusting to see if I can make it work. I have backed in a little further but that didn't seem to help much. maybe I'm just not hitting it hard enough?? I paid $280 for the 3 inch one for dad in Dec, 2019. Would hope to get $200?? He only used it for a handful of loadings. Collecting dust in my shop. PM me if you are seriously interested.

Brasmunky

Established Member
I plan on getting one for my boat but I'm also doing a vinyl wrap....anybody know if it would tear up the vinyl ?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess if you're having issues with it, it's either set up incorrectly- possibly the wrong model for your boat- or you are doing something wrong. The couple I've helped mount and use have always worked like a charm. However, I'm sure like everything else there are some lemons out there and possibly some boat models that just won't work quite right with them. Tons of 20ft lunds out there that use them, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one if I were you Becker.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my question to you all -- safety chain

imo i need it going up the long ramp. Instructions state: We 100% recommend securing your safety chain and strap at the dry waters edge

- - - Updated - - -

i have a roller -- as that trailer is being backed i am nubbin foward a quick little boost of throttle i am up over the edge hooking up my main and the safety. I wont be a sota and stop at the waters edge. The next stop is once i am up and away from the access (well out of others way).

Visions of Akaline lake some years back when i seen a fiberglass boat hit the cement ramp midway when it wasnt secured properly when the guy went to pull it up the ramp.

- - - Updated - - -

is it 100 % fail proof?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82