Spring snows 2021

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD is filling up, wont be long and ND should have birds

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know about SD yet but things are just starting to heat up in northeast missouri with 18k snow's on/near squaw creek refuge today (first wave just started) it'll be a while for south dakota,lakes are locked up.not much snow so with these warm temps this week we won't have much sheet water to deal with in south dakota this spring so far,never know if we'll get a march dump.

I'm ready killer like you,my dog is sleeping on my hunting jackets as I type(hunt n peck) guns/ammo ready glad I stocked up on waterfowl ammo last summer as stores in my area ammo supplies are dried up.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know about SD yet but things are just starting to heat up in northeast missouri with 18k snow's on/near squaw creek refuge today (first wave just started) it'll be a while for south dakota,lakes are locked up.not much snow so with these warm temps this week we won't have much sheet water to deal with in south dakota this spring so far,never know if we'll get a march dump.

I'm ready killer like you,my dog is sleeping on my hunting jackets as I type(hunt n peck) guns/ammo ready glad I stocked up on waterfowl ammo last summer as stores in my area ammo supplies are dried up.

Got a buddy just north of sioux falls that shot some last night all adults. Dark geese are moving heavy. Talked to a guy on sd/ne border and they are moving north heavy today in the central part of the state.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
good info kurt,in my old age I move/travel slow,i'll hit missouri once they get 1 million plus on the refuge then pack up and head to central south dakota around the first part of april.contact in lincoln neb said just dark geese showing up so far,he usually hunts the nebraska water shed area (southeast)unless they jump to south dakota early which might happen with this warm weather...You get much of a snow goose migration up your way? seems the majority of snows migrating follow the james river,50 miles either side .from years past.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
good info kurt,in my old age I move/travel slow,i'll hit missouri once they get 1 million plus on the refuge then pack up and head to central south dakota around the first part of april.contact in lincoln neb said just dark geese showing up so far,he usually hunts the nebraska water shed area (southeast)unless they jump to south dakota early which might happen with this warm weather...You get much of a snow goose migration up your way? seems the majority of snows migrating follow the james river,50 miles either side .from years past.

not as many as over east but we also have no one chasing them so thats one nice thing. I wouldnt waste my time coming over here if i didnt live here. Wink Wink

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Me too, just not sure I want to risk actually shooting my shotgun shells...even the ones made of steel.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Drove back to Bis from vermillion this afternoon/evening. I saw a couple random small flocks. I drove north to fargo then west.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure squaw updates there’s today to 300k plus. But I haven’t verified that just a random screen shot from someone

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure squaw updates there’s today to 300k plus. But I haven’t verified that just a random screen shot from someone

I have heard the same thing and seen some pics its loaded up

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the spring migration is in full swing,I hunted 10 miles north of squaw creek missouri to get away from the crowds,seen about every species of ducks bombing our dekes in full plume colors,had redheads land in the goose dekes and bluebills thinking about it.as far as your eyes could see birds were in the air,lots of eagles both bald and golden picking off the cripples on the refuge during the afternoon.

migration.jpg

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw maynards flying north across the interstate between Fargo and Bismarck yesterday.

No snows yet.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is all reading knowledge zero first hand. sounds like a pile of birds are working north every day in SD and heading south to river in evening as no open water. with each passing day i would venture more birds start finding the river and working north as far as itll let em. wouldn't be surprised if ND sees snows by the wknd but looking at long range forecast next week highs in 30's lows in teens that wont be long lived as that will lock anywater up that is created aside from the river,

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
heading home sunday morning I followed a "wad" maybe 5000 snows or more as we drove north along the river to omaha,major movement.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few smaller flocks West of Jamestown this morning.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw a few hundred flying east just N of Verona. They are going to come through quick now.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
heading home sunday morning I followed a "wad" maybe 5000 snows or more as we drove north along the river to omaha,major movement.

5000 birds is not a major movment. 5000 is not even huntable numbers. One or two volleys and there gone.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
5000 birds is not a major movment. 5000 is not even huntable numbers. One or two volleys and there gone.
1less,thanx for the news flash....
That was in just a few minutes as we drove past the omaha turn on I80,pretty sure it continued for hours as they headed to south dakota huge flocks like this one right after another maybe all day after what we witnessed on squaw creek refuge the day before.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79