Asbestos vinyl tiles

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought this house, house was built in 1967, the family of the deceased parents didn't put in the disclosure that the floor was made of asbestos tile through out the home. The asbestos tile is in every room except the living room, the tile was hidden by carpet in every room even the bathroom has glue down carpet. I bought this home Dec 2019, so i have two questions: can the kids or the realtor be held liable for not disclosing that under the carpet was asbestos tile? Has anyone removed asbestos tiles from their homes by themselves.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d leave them alone. Floor over them.

Until/unless they’re disturbed, they’re a non-issue.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure my school(and many others) had them throughout the place. They just sealed them with what looked like a clear epoxy covering. Even the ceilings were an asbestos spray texture. They sprayed a sealer over that as well. I'd just put a laminate down or re-carpet over them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dont poke the bear. Only bad if you disturb the tile. If you want them out its a haz-mat nightmare.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d leave them alone. Floor over them.

Until/unless they’re disturbed, they’re a non-issue.

yup... same with insulation - leave it alone and you are fine - well, in old 'merica anyway...

i'd worry more about lead based paint on interior walls and trim with the kiddos than any of this...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you had em tested? I’m not so sure asbestos was still being use in 67’

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
First things first, how do you know they are asbestos? There are old tiles that look just like the asbestos ones that don't contain any asbestos, so did you have them tested?

Secondly, if they are asbestos, I'd probably consider leaving them in place and installing flooring over them.

UND had some buildings after the 1997 flood with asbestos tile floors. They took advantage of the flood (FEMA or State money) to remove them. Had teams of Mexicans come in to remove the stuff, it looked like an expensive undertaking.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the majority opinion is to leave them alone, perhaps the OP is looking at it from a financial aspect, is there recourse for being stuck with the situation? and what about reselling the property?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm an old asbestos worker. If they hard and 9 inches I'd bet they are 3 to 5 % asbestos, but non-friable. Which means if you're not pulverizin them, or grinding them you're good. If you want them take them out yourself, you can't hire someone else. Just throw them in the trash. Try not to break them up into little pieces. If they are in good shape, leave em, and cover them. Asbestos abatement was a huge scam mostly. The insulation is the dangerous stuff. But even then, only 20% of the insulators got cancer or lung disease and 90% of them smoked. Actually the products with asbestos are quality. That stuff is amazing.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm an old asbestos worker. If they hard and 9 inches I'd bet they are 3 to 5 % asbestos, but non-friable. Which means if you're not pulverizin them, or grinding them you're good. If you want them take them out yourself, you can't hire someone else. Just throw them in the trash. Try not to break them up into little pieces. If they are in good shape, leave em, and cover them. Asbestos abatement was a huge scam mostly. The insulation is the dangerous stuff. But even then, only 20% of the insulators got cancer or lung disease and 90% of them smoked. Actually the products with asbestos are quality. That stuff is amazing.

I hear some still insulate their smokers with asbestos.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdie nailed it. And yes, you are allowed to remove it yourself on a private dwelling.

Come to think of it, the floor tiles weren't even the problem at UND. It was the adhesive that contained asbestos (at least, in our building).

I remember chuckling about it being damn near impossible to get an airborne fiber of asbestos from the adhesive and yet they had to go full on OSHA/EPA abatement because it's a public building.

At the same time, if 20% of the insulators got lung cancer, I'd think that was a little high and indicative of this stuff is for real when it comes to lung damage. We are endlessly inundated with those Sokolove commercials for a reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: I believe OSHA's lifetime exposure limit is 1 fiber for a reason. Anyone that's stood for anytime at a busy intersection has most likely already exceeded that limit. Or, done a brake job on vehicles back in the 80s.

Note 2: If I remember correctly, the real problem with asbestos isn't its chemical composition as it's very inert. It's a mineral and its crystal structure is that of a barbed arrowhead (laymen's terms). If inhaled it gets stuck in the lung, just like a barbed arrowhead or hook, and slowly moves through the lungs causing scarring that is the real problem.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I removed them from our basement and a bedroom without really thinking about it til it was done.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Removed a lot of that tile over the years even before they made a huge deal out of it. Scam!
Yea I had to chuckle when they would have to hire crews to come remove it when we needed to in the early nineties and they had all there gear on when removing tile in a school and they were all sitting outside with no gear on smoking sigs on there brake!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would bet the siblings wouldn't be responsible for it if it were asbestos, as they would just say they knew nothing about it. Being it is under carpet you would have a tough time proving they did know about it.
Leave it be or take it out if you are thinking about selling in the future.
When i was in school (many many years ago) the pipes in the school for the steam heat were insulated with asbestos pipe wrap. When this would break off, we would throw this stuff at each other. Never thought about this until now. At times it looked like a dust storm in those class rooms from us throwing that stuff around.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to hike around the aspestos mines in AZ. Pretty good coues deer hunting. My wife used to collect rocks when she was little and I think I we threw away a couple of pieces from here collection when I finally convinced her it was time to get rid of the rock box.

bilbo

Honored Member
Rowdie nailed it. And yes, you are allowed to remove it yourself on a private dwelling.

Come to think of it, the floor tiles weren't even the problem at UND. It was the adhesive that contained asbestos (at least, in our building).

I remember chuckling about it being damn near impossible to get an airborne fiber of asbestos from the adhesive and yet they had to go full on OSHA/EPA abatement because it's a public building.

At the same time, if 20% of the insulators got lung cancer, I'd think that was a little high and indicative of this stuff is for real when it comes to lung damage. We are endlessly inundated with those Sokolove commercials for a reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: I believe OSHA's lifetime exposure limit is 1 fiber for a reason. Anyone that's stood for anytime at a busy intersection has most likely already exceeded that limit. Or, done a brake job on vehicles back in the 80s.

Note 2: If I remember correctly, the real problem with asbestos isn't its chemical composition as it's very inert. It's a mineral and its crystal structure is that of a barbed arrowhead (laymen's terms). If inhaled it gets stuck in the lung, just like a barbed arrowhead or hook, and slowly moves through the lungs causing scarring that is the real problem.

If you remove it yourself, are you allowed to say the asbestos is gone and/or not disclose it if you sell the house? I always thought you had to have a certified 'abatement' done with paperwork if you were going to say the place was 'abated' and the asbestos 'gone.' I thought it was that way with lead too.

Either way, as long as it's not disturbed it's harmless. Aside from the whole cancer thing asbestos is/was probably the best material for its applications. Lead, too. Lead paint was incredible stuff from what I hear.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74