Dead Moose

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about the pond parisite in north dakota killing off whittail deer? forget the name but its the larva from gnats...just a thought.

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was talking to a friend of mine. They have been watching a pair of moose (Bull and Cow) on their farm east of Bismarck. Last week they noticed that the cow was limping and not moving So they called the G&F, the warden came out and was able to drive to 50 yds from the cow. He got a good look and was able see that there was no bullet holes in it or nothing that was obvious and no blood on the ground. The warden decided to watch the cow for a few days to see if she gets better. When he went out there this morning the cow was dead. The G&F has taken her body for testing. He is very interested in finding out what killed this moose. In talking to my buddy he liked having these moose hanging out on his place. In the past 4 years he has had 11 moose on his farm and likes the idea of getting a little population of them. He also has had 3 elk that moved through the area, but they never stay for more than a day or two. Since this site has the best arm chair biologist the internet has ever seen. Anybody have any guesses to what killed this cow?

Any reason to believe you might be contacted with an update once the cause of death is discovered?

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brain worm or did someone shot her in the belly or something stupid like that?
Let us know when you find out.

Wanted to get back to you on this. My buddy talked to the state Vet. and the moose died by over eating on grain, which caused her hoof to become infected. So the cow couldn't walk and basically starved to death. From the way the Vet tells it, it's not uncommon for a Moose to over eat on certain crops and this causes a lot of trouble with their systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Any reason to believe you might be contacted with an update once the cause of death is discovered?

See above post. you both asked that I get back to you with what I found out, so there it is.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We definitely need to ban grain in light of this news.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't think brainworm affected the moose out on the prairie like it does in the forested areas, because of the lack of the snails that are usually the host? I thought this was the main reason the moose on the prairie have flourished while numbers elsewhere have declined.

There are many species of snails in prairie wetlands, and high populations too.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The samething happens to horses with to much grain, they flounder. It make the hoofs very sore.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a dandy bull moose in my area at work all summer and well into the fall. Then stopped seeing him. Found him laying dead in a slough with his horns cut off while pheasant hunting.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw this episode of Yellowstone. Alfalfa bales dropped from planes.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77