Dead Moose

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking to a friend of mine. They have been watching a pair of moose (Bull and Cow) on their farm east of Bismarck. Last week they noticed that the cow was limping and not moving So they called the G&F, the warden came out and was able to drive to 50 yds from the cow. He got a good look and was able see that there was no bullet holes in it or nothing that was obvious and no blood on the ground. The warden decided to watch the cow for a few days to see if she gets better. When he went out there this morning the cow was dead. The G&F has taken her body for testing. He is very interested in finding out what killed this moose. In talking to my buddy he liked having these moose hanging out on his place. In the past 4 years he has had 11 moose on his farm and likes the idea of getting a little population of them. He also has had 3 elk that moved through the area, but they never stay for more than a day or two. Since this site has the best arm chair biologist the internet has ever seen. Anybody have any guesses to what killed this cow?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I lot of Moose die of Brain worm, they pretty much stay in the same area and die of dehydration.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
One was wondering around confused and then found dead near my hometown a few years ago. They figured it was the type of brain worm that affects moose and deer. Fairly common I guess.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep waiting for the day I have a moose in my pond out behind the house, hasn't happened yet that I know of.

I know there are moose down along the river east of town.

If I had to guess, they are going to find that she was indeed shot. Either that or she injured herself going through a fence. Mostly because I haven't heard of anyone bouncing a moose off their bumper, but I suppose that's always possible and it took a few days for internal injuries to do her in.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably hit by a car or stepped in some kind of trap but definitely sounds like a joint break and/or infection. Funny a pack of coyotes wouldn't take an easy meal like that down and out.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the bull mentioned to be with the cow now missing?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brain worm or did someone shot her in the belly or something stupid like that?
Let us know when you find out.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel like if it was hit by a car or something like that, they would have noticed right off. Or soon enough to tell. I'm betting sickness, maybe old age?

- - - Updated - - -

Or, it could have been a Texas heart shot...

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit by a vehicle, I would almost think there would be a report somewhere. Police /Ins.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't think brainworm affected the moose out on the prairie like it does in the forested areas, because of the lack of the snails that are usually the host? I thought this was the main reason the moose on the prairie have flourished while numbers elsewhere have declined.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn't think brainworm affected the moose out on the prairie like it does in the forested areas, because of the lack of the snails that are usually the host? I thought this was the main reason the moose on the prairie have flourished while numbers elsewhere have declined.

I know of two cases of brain worm that happened in S.E. N.D. in the last few yrs.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
about 15-18 years ago the game warden put one down out here for what he thought was brain worm, tests showed it was. He was able to get close enough to put it down with a 20 gauge slug.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit by a vehicle, I would almost think there would be a report somewhere. Police /Ins. The SD AG will report it tomorrow.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple of years ago my son and I found one in Glencoe that was walking with her back legs dragging behind her. We figured someone shot her. Called the game and fish and 20 minutes later she was walking just fine. Warden shows up and we explain it to him. She never left the sight of the gravel road, just kind of went back and forth. I believe he said it sounded like it may have brain worm the way it was acting. He then shot it and was going to have some lab guys come examine it. I never did hear anymore about that cow.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i could easily see an unreported vehicle hit after the driver consumed a 12 pack or so... i bet that's where a good portion of hit and runs come from as well...

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked with my buddy more this afternoon and there are two things he pretty sure of. The first is that it wasn't shot. When the game warden was out to collect it's body they looked real close and didn't find anything to suggest that it has been shot. He also was sure that it hadn't been hit by a truck. They had been watching both moose since December and for the past 4+ weeks it was in an area that is very isolated and you can't see from any road.

One other thing he told me is that in January they watched the bull breed the cow 5-6 times one day in January. A couple things are strange, first of all is the time of the breeding I think their normal breeding season is in October? Second is that the cow that is dead is only a yearling (he said, almost full grown but not yet filled out) so he isn't sure if it is the same cow. He has some pictures that I'll try to get.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked with my buddy more this afternoon and there are two things he pretty sure of. The first is that it wasn't shot. When the game warden was out to collect it's body they looked real close and didn't find anything to suggest that it has been shot. He also was sure that it hadn't been hit by a truck. They had been watching both moose since December and for the past 4+ weeks it was in an area that is very isolated and you can't see from any road.

One other thing he told me is that in January they watched the bull breed the cow 5-6 times one day in January. A couple things are strange, first of all is the time of the breeding I think their normal breeding season is in October? Second is that the cow that is dead is only a yearling (he said, almost full grown but not yet filled out) so he isn't sure if it is the same cow. He has some pictures that I'll try to get.

Probably my best day too!!! But not the same "cow."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63