GSP Misbehaving

bilbo

Honored Member
We have an 8 year old GSP. She has recently started ransacking the garbage can and kitchen counters on a regular basis. It started about 6 months ago but has really ramped up in frequency in the last few weeks. We never had a problem with it prior. She will grab unopened bags of chips, bread, etc. not just food in the open. I have the following theories:

1. We changed to a new food last fall. We usually do as her activity level is so much different in the winter and she has trouble with weight gain when eating the high-energy food she needs in the summer, but we used a different brand this year. She tolerated it well and kept weight off, but is it possible she is desperately hungry all day?

2. My wife has been working more since last summer. Prior to that, she did not work and was at home. She is now nearly full-time so our dogs are home alone during the day a lot more. Is the dog having issues with this and acting out?

3. Some combination?

I'm going to try blending her food back to her proven foods. We also need to be more diligent about food on the counters. A hard habit to break after so long. Any other ideas why would she be doing this after all these years and/or how to fix it?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i saw the title to this thread and was like... "surprise, surprise!" other than that, i got nothing. you're welcome.

bilbo

Honored Member
Haha yep, I know their reputation. We got really lucky and ours is pretty mellow. Or at least has been until this.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
she is bored used to having some one around all the time. easiest fix is never leave here un attended put in a crate when not watching. You have a ferrari that needs to get out and run alot and often.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto what Kurt said. We have two GSP's and both are needy on the attention side of the things. I wouldn't trade them for anything though. They love to please!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best looking dogs made in my opinion but I'd never own one unless I had the right kennel setup, energizer bunnys on roids they are.
My lil bro just had to put his down a few months back, he was gone for the day and got home to him lying in the yard full of blood and puncture wounds. Not sure if the male German shepard was protective of his Mrs in heat or a pack of coyotes got to him but very strange and sad deal for ol Waylan. Think he needed his gonads snipped off.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, GSPs can start feeling sneaky. Mine is almost 7 now and up until a few months ago I could leave the garbage can out and he wouldn't touch it. Well, gave him a few table scraps and now he knows the goodness that he's been missing out on all these years and the garbage can needs to get put away or he will help himself.

My fault.

bilbo

Honored Member
I used to run with her a lot. Usually 3-5 miles a day. This last year has been tough with work and my Mom having cancer so I definitely fell off the wagon. I guess that’s number 3 that I didn’t mention. Lack of activity could definitely be a part of it. She is always a better dog when she’s tired. As with most things it’s probably my own fault.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lack of the attention that your dog was used to, will make a good dog go bad to a point. My lab can get to be a hand full if she dont get her run. LB

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
dogs bored, i had a yellow lab and at about 8 became a professional food thief, come home for dinner make a sandwich leave meat out in case i want another come back meat gone. he would only hit the cutting boards he could reach up and take a bowl off and not spill.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta teach dogs what NOT to do!
Use your imagination. (Mice traps) can do wonders :cool:

You own the dog, not the other way around.
Blunt but.....

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
My GSP is the exact same. My wife has been working from home for the past year and now when she runs out during the day its guaranteed something is getting eaten or torn apart while she's out. We always put things away to a point we don't think the dog can get to them and somehow she still gets them. She's a really big fan of Hawaiian rolls...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to run with her a lot. Usually 3-5 miles a day. This last year has been tough with work and my Mom having cancer so I definitely fell off the wagon. I guess that’s number 3 that I didn’t mention. Lack of activity could definitely be a part of it. She is always a better dog when she’s tired. As with most things it’s probably my own fault.

Ain't that the truth!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s a simple fix to keep dogs from eating or getting into stuff when your not around. Put them in their crate. Since they were crate trained when they were a puppy it’s on of their happy places.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I thought it was just me and my 8 yo golden....He likes chinese...didn't even tear the carton,Iswear he has thumbs.

Child gates when I remember is the answer.

cow2.jpg

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I thought it was just me and my 8 yo golden....He likes chinese...didn't even tear the carton,Iswear he has thumbs.

Child gates when I remember is the answer.

302244006_500684755396228_7805722140024177391_n.jpg

I thought people only ate Chinese take out in movies and TV shows.

- - - Updated - - -

If your dog is eating it, it must be a cannibal.

bilbo

Honored Member
She is crate trained. She's never had trouble with that. We just had never exercised that option as it was never needed. We have been crating her when we are away, but figured since it was a relatively abrupt change there was something going on. It's also not practical all the time. My wife went to the neighbors house yesterday to drop something off and was gone for 5 minutes. She grabbed a loaf of bread and a bag of english muffins and was finishing up the last piece of bread when my wife got home.

I'm glad to know it's not just us. The stories help in that regard and made us laugh. I wish my dog was as tidy as snow's. Ours is more like a slacker teenager, bags and wrappers lying around. We had a box of small pork rind bags from Sam's sitting on the floor, unopened. She got into it and ate a dozen or so bags. When we got home there were bags all over the living room and a couple unopened ones under the blankets in her crate like she was stashing them away.

My kid was watching a cat whisperer show or something and the guy had these little automatic motion detector air sprayer things to keep cats off counters. I found one last night at Petsmart and set it up in the corner where we store the bread. I think it will work, the GSP is terrified of my air compressor and any air nozzles or tools I use with it, so if it goes off near her I think she'll be deterred. Also have a camera set up to see how she interacts with it. We will also be making it a point to get her more exercise.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76