GSP Misbehaving

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s a simple fix to keep dogs from eating or getting into stuff when your not around. Put them in their crate. Since they were crate trained when they were a puppy it’s on of their happy places.

When we were not home - outdoor run with a door into the garage indoor run with a dog home (extra heat in her little home) in case if garage isnt enough. The run out side has electric fence running at the top as we all know shorthairs like to climb out of chain link fences. My last shorthair was calm you could leave her for hours in the house and she didnt do anything; but she would rather be in the garage home.

We moved and no longer have the run. My last dog died last spring. I am officially shorthairless. Once my work slows down (if it ever does) i will get another.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Setup camera to watch the counter. Put shock collar on GSP. Put something on counter and leave. Wait and watch within range. Correct as necessary.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My little motherfucker GSP is 7 and also for the first time starting to nibble off the counter. Great little buddy is turning into a cunt. Other than that we can leave him in the house and he just lays on his bed, but if he can sniff out a snack, he now decides its okay to eat it

bilbo

Honored Member
Well the air spritzer seems to be effective. I laid a package of hot dog buns on the counter to entice her and she took the bait about a half hour after I left the house yesterday. She came nosing around and when the air canister went off she beat feet out of there and didn't come back in the kitchen the rest of the day. The webcam recorded it. We will see how/if it works today. I've also been running her every other day in the mornings and will ramp that up over time. Lord knows I need the exercise too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the air spritzer seems to be effective. I laid a package of hot dog buns on the counter to entice her and she took the bait about a half hour after I left the house yesterday. She came nosing around and when the air canister went off she beat feet out of there and didn't come back in the kitchen the rest of the day. The webcam recorded it. We will see how/if it works today. I've also been running her every other day in the mornings and will ramp that up over time. Lord knows I need the exercise too.

would be fun to see the video bet the dog gave the wtf look haha

bilbo

Honored Member
I couldn't figure out how to upload it. It is pretty funny, she definitely exits the kitchen quickly.

★ Legendary Member
My GSP is 10, I made a kennel in the garage with a dog door to an outdoor kennel. I started leaving the door open so I can move around the garage while I'm at work. No issues for a month then he started pissing in the garage even tho he had access to outdoor kennel. Well that's over now, trying to be a little nicer as he's aged... No more.
Have a friend who used mouse traps on the countertops to keep his labs from getting food while he was gone. Now he doesn't have to set the traps��.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found my young labmaraner getting his paws up on the counter to find 'gold'. I was watching him through a mirror in the entryway. I yelled as loud as I could and scared the begeebers outta him and the gave him the bad-boy treatment, shunning to his pillow. He never did it again. Yes, like the others, he/she shouldn't have free reign inside the home unless it's earned. Kennel or porta-kennel until you're home. Maybe use a baby cam while he's hooked up to a training collar? A couple of zaps in the act would have him leave those things alone!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used the mouse trap trick, it worked real fast. A coupla snaps and all you have to do is put a mouse trap anywhere close it where you dont want the dog to go. Done deal. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57