Tesla outboard

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be testing it on a pontoon?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious as to how slow you can dial it down? They should be able to make barley turn the propes if electric

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about that, it's almost as quite as my 350 v-rod, lol ;:;rofl. Kidding aside, it seriously sounds a lot like the 6 cyl Supercharged Verado's. I would think the torque factor and the ability to slow the prop down for trolling would appear to be the two biggest benefits. Other than that, it's still built like a traditional outboard which tells me they're still in the infancy of design. I would expect an electric outboard could take a very different shape. To me the biggest question is if they can find a way to keep the total weight of the outboard and batteries the same or less than today's outboards and fuel load and get similar range. the second part comes charging. hell on a hot summer day, our campground barley has enough power to run all the camper AC units, just wait till everyone has to charge their 400hp elec outboards!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious as to how slow you can dial it down? They should be able to make barley turn the propes if electric

If they ever "get there" with the technology they should be able to incorporate dual throttle controls easy enough. Some sort of "regular" throttle whether hand or foot control, then a "low-speed" rheostat or digital style throttle for trolling. Perhaps even another "gear" or integrated transmission similar to the new 600HP Verado?

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they ever "get there" with the technology they should be able to incorporate dual throttle controls easy enough. Some sort of "regular" throttle whether hand or foot control, then a "low-speed" rheostat or digital style throttle for trolling. Perhaps even another "gear" or integrated transmission similar to the new 600HP Verado?

That should be easy to do. They already have that technology in transmissions. You can set the aggressiveness of response

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Grandkids have one. Well kinda. It's smaller but still impressive the power and RPMs that these newer electric motors can produce. This one will go for about 20 minutes on a full charge at that speed. No idea how fast it actually goes but it makes the pond look small.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also wondering why it's shaped like a gas engine? I would think it would be an opportunity to make the back more accessible. I'm picturing a flat top you could stand on.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder about all the DC volts, in water. I'm sure it's very safe, but...

im-fine-no-really.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also wondering why it's shaped like a gas engine? I would think it would be an opportunity to make the back more accessible. I'm picturing a flat top you could stand on.

Probably so they don't completely freak people out with "different". Why have a traditional top/midsection? The whole idea behind electric motors is their simplicity, why jumble them up with more mechanical parts and parasitic power loss?

Heat being the devil for all things electric, why aren't the motors below the waterline?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70