Good PBZ Reference

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks! Sure wish he had a BDC. The results for his scope are same (-1yd) as MBPR.

- - - Updated - - -

MBPR doesn't require holdover as does the 75 yd zero unless I'm missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he'll change scopes.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well Mr. Penile; I surmise the disconnect was not ignoring the Nikon data and zeroing at 200. If this is correct: I'd welcome immediate future education. I don't much GAS about deductive prowess in these situations.

The bottom stadia looks short to me compared to other Nikon models and ammo is precious.

- - - Updated - - -

Guy is a good marksman and a wounded deer is unacceptable. He's used to hunting in woods.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing the duplex gap is only 3.6MOA @ 9X, but, I certainly can't argue the point as I haven't one in front of me to proof the gap.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
See what you think on the link you posted: Prostaff

- - - Updated - - -

IDK if it makes a damn: I plugged in Fed Fusion 150.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never really thought about it. It takes a LONG shot for either of those numbers to be relevant. 300Win is 950 FPE @ 800yds.

Flight time to 600 is ~.75 Sec. You add almost another 1/2 sec getting to 800. Too much time for the wind to act on the projectile and ENTIRELY too much time for the animal to move on it's own.

I'm working with a higher BC projectile that'll get the bullet to 800 in under 1-sec, dunno if that'll actually increase the distance I'm comfortable shooting or not. Right now 600 is pretty much my self-imposed limit with "hunting" rifles. I have on occasion packed along the 243AI or 7WSM "play" rifles. 16# and 19# respectively. 1# and 8oz triggers. Lots of rounds of ammo through both, 243AI is over 1200, 7WSM is on it's 2nd bbl. 12-42x56 Nightforce w/good flawless tracking and good reticles for precise wind holds. Both set up on a good BR-style front rest and something stable in the rear. In that case, assuming I have an excellent read on the wind, I'd shoot further than 600.

There are plenty of others who are more comfortable shooting further, no judgements, I just know what my limit is for big-game. Varmint's on the other hand, if I can see them, I'll happily fling away.

This is the best real world/real time gun post I've ever read. I apologize for not acknowledging sooner. Good is good.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
See what you think on the link you posted: Prostaff

- - - Updated - - -

IDK if it makes a damn: I plugged in Fed Fusion 150.

I ran the Fusion and 150 Power Shock. +/- 15yds for .413 vs. .313 respectively (339yds vs. 325Yds).

The PowerShock matching up the duplex intersection @ 325 allowed me to back-calculate the reticle subtension in my ballistics program which = 3.6MOA. That 3.6MOA gap number doesn't "feel" right, but, we're talking math, not Freud and I don't have a Pro-Staff to prove/dis-prove.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nikon also has this as an app

Nikon is Anti-gun. They wouldn't allow their full-line photo dealers to also stock their rifle scopes.

Nikon has stopped manufacturing any rifle-scopes.

I'm not putting their crap on my phone.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I ran the Fusion and 150 Power Shock. +/- 15yds for .413 vs. .313 respectively (339yds vs. 325Yds).

The PowerShock matching up the duplex intersection @ 325 allowed me to back-calculate the reticle subtension in my ballistics program which = 3.6MOA. That 3.6MOA gap number doesn't "feel" right, but, we're talking math, not Freud and I don't have a Pro-Staff to prove/dis-prove.

You're about a foot over my head...Did you look at the Prostaff scope on the link?

Was I dicked up with length and do you still recommend a 200yd zero with this scope? Do you still have an argument against 3 high @ 100?

Sorry for any retardation. He's going to be armed with 150 (perhaps superfluous) boat tails. I (we) know boat tails are unnecessary (and perhaps detrimental) within 400 yds.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take your pick regarding 200yd zero or MPBR on that rifle w/that scope.

The above quote means that I ran the scope in question with those 2 different ammunitions in the site I quoted. A 200yd zero w/150 Fusions would allow a 339yd zero on the duplex post w/the Prostate/Nikoplex. "Blue Box" 150s have a 325 yd zero on the duplex post. Velocity listed is 2820fps for both. The extra 14yds comes from the extra .100 BC the fusion bullet possesses over the High-Shok.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nikon is Anti-gun. They wouldn't allow their full-line photo dealers to also stock their rifle scopes.

Nikon has stopped manufacturing any rifle-scopes.

I'm not putting their crap on my phone.

wasn't the site you mentioned nikon? all of this stuff is over my head. but, i do use that app. is there a concern with putting it on your phone vs. using their actual site? thanks in advance.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
wasn't the site you mentioned nikon? all of this stuff is over my head. but, i do use that app. is there a concern with putting it on your phone vs. using their actual site? thanks in advance.

No issue, just me being me.

I think the site is "Nikon". I tried like heck to no avail to find published data for Nikon's reticle measurements (sub tensions) without going to that site. The site spits out the numbers one needs to know regarding where things are going to predictably hit, but, it still doesn't give raw numbers regarding reticle sub tensions which irritates me.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
No worries. Frankly, I didn't look at the site. Just recognized spot on. Fwiw, the app gives raw windage and drop numbers and relates them to each specific reticle. For a "rookie" like me. It certainly helps since I don't know shit about MOAs and long range shooting in general. One other cool feature it has is a map/range deal. I can mark my location and then mark the location of a few different locations where one might expect to see that deer or where I actually saw it bed for example. It gives u the distance from A to B. I can also store multiple lines. Punch the distance, wind and factory ammo into the app and it does calculations for me so I am not guessing.. Certainly doesn't replace a good range finder or time on the range. But, it seems like a useful tool. Especially, out of a blind. Fwiw... I got a new toy from huntin1 this weekend and more range time is definitely in my future this summer. Starting Saturday.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hitting a 2ft dirt chunk at 100 yds standing up after walking maybe 200 yds up hill is zeroed in to me

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hitting a 2ft dirt chunk at 100 yds standing up after walking maybe 200 yds up hill is zeroed in to me

Way easier drawing tags for dirt chunks as well.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW... anyone get a security warning when they click on the original link from their phone? i don't get it from my computer. just my phone. my phone's security won't even let me access the site. my laptop that has some pretty decent malware, antivirus, etc... shit on it doesn't bat an eye...

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What I've been getting for about a week is this site locking up if I'm inactive for approximately two minutes. On the PC I have to close and re-enter.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76