Who remembers~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
from the old days "Ma and Pa kettle movies? our younger generation never had a chance to see this fun old movie.This aging process has me remembering the past and how good our past really was as a youth with all the bullshit happening today,even my body...my mind says "you can do it" (or mopho sitting on my shoulder) but my body says "no you can't,don't do it"

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Clop Clop Cloppy of the Lone Ranger and a HI HO Silver on the radio at 4 in the afternoon. Mom yelling out the kitchen window 5 min before it came on so I could get in the house in time. First TV in 55. 3 stations I think. Watching Lawrence Welk cause I had to. Polka Party on WDAY Fargo was another must, even got to watch the folks dance on TV. Bonanza in COLOR my God what is the world coming to. Watching B52 fly over so low you could se the pilots faces, scared the crap out of the cows. Riding bike with my friends to country school 3 miles from our house and not up hill both ways. Red Rider BB gun and the great sparrow hunts. Hunting with a 22 single shot when I was 9. 22 shorts Rockets in a Chicklet Box package and hording 22 long rifles for big game like Jack rabbits and fox. Trapping gophers for 25 cents and thinking you were going to be rich by the end of summer. Those were the good days. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes the lone ranger like gunsmoke today the lone ranger rides again everday on the tube,never listened to the radio as a kid but remember my dad every morning having breakfast before work listening to morning news on the radio before riding his bike to work with a brown bag lunch my mom made for him,gas was .12/gal back then....

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had forgot them until you brought it up. We didnt have cell phones, but there was a lot of good things when I start thinking about it. The neighbor to the west was married to a native lady about six foot and 200 pounds. She could carry a sack of wheat i each hand and set them in the back of the pickup. They had no kids and when my wonderings took me into their pasture to shoot gophers I always got called into the house for a cookie and coke.
Our family and the neighbor to the south had those old Fordson tractors with overdrive. The neighbor kid and I used thdm like cars ehen we were ten years old trsbeling up to ten miles from home to fish.
A guy does remember some of the crappy things. Outhouse at -20, wet feet, four buckle overshoes, breaking up coal and carrying to the house, getting water at the pump 75 yards from the house, kerosene lanterns, and toast that was made on a kerosene stove tast like creosote. The technology today is great, but the media and politicians, and a lot of others have lost the truth. Perhaps because the churches are near empty and God is banned from the public square.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geez PG you really did grow up in the old days wow,interesting I grew up in the city,had running water and a indoor biffy,I remember in boot the hillbillies couldn't get over a flushing toilet....lol.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ma & Pa Kettle, The little rascals, Alfred Hitchcock, The three stooges, and others. Now that was good clean entertainment!
Outhouses now that brings back some terrible memories! Also the carrying of water to the house.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Always had indoor plumbing but I'm pretty sure it was installed just before the time when I could remember that stuff. Never rode bike to school but had an aunt who worked at the school so rode with her. First tractor I drove was an 'R' JD. had to start the gas engine and use that to start the diesel. Do I want to go back? For morals and character, probably. For convenience, nope. Don't farm but do help a guy out and there is no way I would want to sit on that old JD for 12+ hours/day. I can easily do that sitting in a climate controlled cab, push a button so the tractor can take me to the other end and then the ease of turning around can be done with a finger on the wheel.

Getting across the lake in a 14' boat with a 10 hp motor, compared to the comforts of today. Or driving in the snow with a car or 2-wheel drive vehicle. Thought I was in heaven when I bought my first 4-wheel drive Blazer. Now you have to special order to get a 2-wheel drive.

Think we got our first TV in about 1956-57. Finally got to watch Captain Kangaroo. Cried my eyes out that first morning when the antenna wasn't hooked up and there was nothing but snow on the TV. The good old days? Sometimes and sometimes not so much.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes the "outhouse" years back renting a cabin on a remote canadian lake the out house had the best view from its vantage point up on a hill,usually the hole used wouldn't be deep enough because of the bedrock had to beat down the peaking piles of shit or get goosed by it...not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Geez PG you really did grow up in the old days wow,interesting I grew up in the city,had running water and a indoor biffy,I remember in boot the hillbillies couldn't get over a flushing toilet....lol.

don't forget Amos and Andy...lol can you imagine that show today? twilght zone....

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I certainly wouldn't call having to get up at 5 AM to milk cows by hand so you could get done in time to go to school where the nuns told you that you were going to hell the 'Good Old Days'. Cleaning calf pens and chicken coops with a 4 tined fork in the middle of the hot summer, cleaning manure out of the gutters and hauling it out to the field on a 'stone boat' when it was 20 below and you were wearing old overshoes full of holes and lined with plastic bread sacks to keep your feet dry, mowing hay with an old 7' John Deere mower with a dull sickle, hauling square bales full of hay needles when it was 90 above, taking a bath once a week on Saturday night in an old tin tub, being the fourth or fifth person in the tub with the same water, having to run 100 yards to the windmill to get water in the middle of the winter, sleeping 3 in a bed with no central heat and an incontinent little brother, having to carry the 'Thunder Bucket' out in the morning to empty it when Grandma came to visit, having a real steak for the first time in your life when you're 18 and in college and wondering why you had never heard of such a thing before, and I could go on. Fuck those 'Good Old Days'. We didn't have a TV that worked either so no Capt. Kangaroo or Bonanza for us. No way I'd want to go back to any of those days. I've never been happier than I am today and I don't want to hear your 'Good Old Days' bullshit.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome thread. I don't need to repeat what has been said cause at 74 my experiences were about the same. Except my location. The foothills of the Pembina Escarpment is an awesome place to live and play. One room school house being the only kid in my class for 7 out of 8 years. An older friend took me Ruffed Grouse hunting at 10. Horse back riding in the hills.
There is no way I would change my childhood for any thing today.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So pony roper,your saying "no white privlage" growing up....good grief.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So pony roper,your saying "no white privlage" growing up....good grief.

No I wasn't making a political statement like all your posts are. I'm saying I'm living in the good old days right now and I would never want to go back in time. Those of you who think the world is coming to an end simply because a politician you don't like is in office don't realize how well off you really are. Shut the fuck up and try to make the world a better place instead of tearing it down. It's not a perfect world but it could be much worse. Like back when I was a kid and the nuns had us crawl under our desks the day Kennedy was killed. Those were not good old days no matter what kind of shows were on TV.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 51 yrs old. I remember our first color TV. I don't remember not having TV. Always had indoor plumbing. My wife, who is younger than I, did attend a one-room school house where most of the other students were her family members, and they had outhouses. Can't have been fun.

I'm sure some things were better. There were crooked politicians back then I'm sure, and good cops and bad cops, etc. Nothing new under the sun.

When my (deceased) father in law would tell me though, about the good-old days, I would remind him that it must have been no fun to have teeth pulled with no anesthesia. I wouldn't guess it was much fun going to the outhouse when it was 25 below.

Today, I like power steering, and cars with A/C. Four wheel drive sure is nice too.

In the end, happy is he who is content with what he has. I am trying to be that guy.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jay Kay, I for one now am a spoiled pampered person with more comforts and conveniences than I deserve. I just enjoy reminiscing. It was a good life then and still good looking back. My last two friends even ordered AC in their SXS UTV.
I think most on here are livin the dream.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At 74 i can relate to all this but one memory i have is:

Somewhere around 1950 something there was a breakfast food call Jet. Came in little boxes, snack size with kids flying on the cover.
So one day i took a box after breakfast and climbed up a boxelder tree to about 12 to 15 feet. Ate the box and i really did consider the fact that now i could also fly out of this tree. I remember looking at the ground and i really did think i could now fly and all i had to do was jump.

Some of the toys from then i still have in the boxes as certain ones ma said they were indoor toys. Some wore out but did find that double holster RR cap gun holster from that time on ebay but the Rogers's guns are silver and not gold like that ones i had. Hope to find some gold RR cap guns one day. Besides the Red Ryder BB gun hanging on the wall i did have Ryder cap gun and holster but long gone.

One toy, at age 12, my dad bought me a 52 Buick Super for 50 dollars to be my first car. Red and black, two door hard top. Look good but straight 8 had some problems. Spent many hours working on that car. Would like that again but little out of price right now. All i have now is a picture of me and that car.
My dad bought a 1948 KB-5 IHC truck new in 48. It appears i will become the owner soon. Sent the check. 27000 miles, original tires, cattle rack and other than it first year on the farm it has been stored inside. Broke my arm on that truck falling off the hay rack to the ground. First thing i am going to do is measure how high that was.
Title should still be in ma's name as it was then. Excellent shape considering its age. I cannot wait to drive again, as for me it has been since the late 1960 when i last drove. Never did shift the rear axle into high and i hope to do that now. To be pass down. Do have a picture of family going to circus in that truck as car was in shop when looking at the picture i was around 3 as younger brother was not in picture.

Yes, most memories are good memories as they should be. db

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 57 and grew up in western Kansas we had running water, tv tower with a rotor could get 4 stations. We did have an outhouse in case we lost power.

I also remember wire tied alfalfa bales at about 100 lbs each, 1/4 section of irrigated alfalfa 4 or 5 cuttings each year. having 3 chicken houses to clean, up to 300 sows to feed and clean pens 100 or so stock cows plus 400 to 500 feeder cattle and a couple hundred ewes to deal with.

My grandparents would tell us kids tales of the dirty 30's like when times were really tough. Grasshoppers ate the handles out of the pitchforks etc, cows so hungry grandma took the corn shuck mattress out to feed it to them. Jack rabbit drives. There are fence lines on top of fence lines due to the tumble weeds blowing into the fence and filling the fence with dirt. Easier to put in new fence than dig old one out.

My dad was born in 1935 in a sod house, he was one of the few that survived as most died of pneumonia brought on by all the dust. Grandma said she was afraid she would kill him with all the blankets she kept him covered with to keep the dust away from him.

We are lucky up here to not have "mexican sandburs" or puncture vine, grandpa said they were never in Kansas until after rubber tires hit the road.

One time the grandparents took cream to town in the wagon and on the way home used the cream cans to pick up little catfish that fell with rain. they thought that a tornado picked them up from a pond and dropped them along the trail.

got lots of stories from my grandparents.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80