Old .22 rifles

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been getting more and more interested in older firearms the last few years and love .22's. I have some levers (Browning BL-22, Winchester 9422, Marlin 39A) which are a lot of fun but now I've been researching pump .22's. I recently picked up a Remington 572 Fieldmaster and am looking to expand. Top of my list is a Winchester Model 61 and then a Remington model 121. Does anyone have experience with these? Are there any years or variations that are more desirable than others? Spring always gets me excited to get out and do some plinking!

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
What is funny is when you have them shipped to an ffl and they don't have serial numbers , I have a bunch of Remington 512's and when I would go to pick them up I would have to explain what the numbers on the barrels meant

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​I had a Winchester model 61 as a youth. I loved that gun. One of my best friends growing had a model 62. Later when he had added a couple of young sons. I sold mine to him so each boy had a similar rifle. If you get a chance to get a 61 I would love to look at it . I do have an extra forearm.

[h=3]A Look Back at the Winchester Model 61 - American Rifleman[/h]www.americanrifleman.org › articles › 2015/12/22 › a-...

Dec 22, 2015 — Operation of the Model 61 is typical of slide-action rimfires; pulling the for-end rearward unlocks the bolt from a mortise in the receiver via a single ...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got my Fieldmaster when i was 16 in 1962. Made in 54. Also have my dad's Speedmaster made in 37 that was his 22 when he was younger. Bought 3 speed masters for the kids when guns were cheaper. Have a model 12 in 22 special, Win model 75 made in 48 and model 52 made in 63. Have a Marlin 39A and 541s and a few others along with some target pistols. Favor is a High standard 103 super matic.

I am old and most of these rifles/pistols did not cost like they do today. None were bought when i had to get permission to purchase or at least i can not remember filling out any form. All work fine and i do enjoy cleaning, looking at and now and then shooting. More cleaning and looking.

Once 22 bullets got cheaper some years ago did build up the collections to around 8000 and not sure if one can even find a 22 bullet on the shelves anymore. Have some Stingers (about 1000) but been told they can be hard on the rifle. Case is a little longer and do not feed as well in the target rifles so may not use.
Yes i do like the older guns and will pass down and screw the new law that i believe they voted on today. Hopefully the senate will not say yes. But i guess i can say they were all given to the kids before this new law when into effect if it ever does.

Not sure if a certain model is better than the others but enjoy Jigaman as they can bring a lot of happy times.
My fieldmaster did not eject the bullets right and, after i not sure how many years, found an adjustment for that by taking the stock off. db

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The prices of these old rifles have really skyrocketed. You can sure feel the quality in them compared to most new firearms.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes Jigaman, the cost has gotten guns out of my league. One speed master i bought for $60 at gun show and other at Scheels for $120
Have some 94s with a cost of $125 and last one bought new for son for $150. I would guess a speed master today at $600.
Being old did have its advantages. Should of bought more but did not have the monies back then either. db

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
8B0CA894-77B8-4C4C-995A-3A77661A2ED9.jpg

my dad gave me this rifle but I know nothing about it. Its a Springfield Arms Company chambered in 22WRF (22 special), there is no model number on it. I’ve googled it but all I can find is a model 83 that was originally a 22lr rechambered to a 22WRF. I’ve never in my entire existence fired this rifle. The only time I ever remembered this rifle being used is when we butchered beef. Dad doesn’t remember where it came from but he said he used it to get deer a lot when he was a kid.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I asume a single shot. If so lt looks a lot like my first 22. Db

- - - Updated - - -

My dad gave me shorts to shoot but I did sneak long rifles out. When shot powder would come back in eyes. I did shoot it once at a whitetail buck on soil bank. I assume I missed. Db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned to shoot with a Marlin model 57 levermatic. Love that rifle, really like the short throw on the lever. Still have it but should have it rebarrelled as its pitted from lack of cleaning. It was my uncles gun that got passed onto my Dad and i don't think either of them cleaned or oiled it. Still shoots fairly well for as pitted out as the barrel is.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned to shoot with a Marlin model 57 levermatic. Love that rifle, really like the short throw on the lever. Still have it but should have it rebarrelled as its pitted from lack of cleaning. It was my uncles gun that got passed onto my Dad and i don't think either of them cleaned or oiled it. Still shoots fairly well for as pitted out as the barrel is.

My dad had a 57M (.22 magnum) that he passed down to me. I shot a lot of jack rabbits with that as a kid!

Image-1.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first 22 was a Hamilton # 27 single shot. I still have it but I retired it from the active shooters list. Looking in the Barrel it looks like it's a smoothbore but there were riflings in it at one time.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Top of my list is a Winchester Model 61, Are there any years or variations that are more desirable than others?

Regarding the "common" 61's, the latter 61's had a 3/8" groove in the top of the receiver for .22 scope rings and typically command a premium.

IIRC there was a 22Mag version that brings a ton of $$ and a smooth-bore version that brings even more.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regarding the "common" 61's, the latter 61's had a 3/8" groove in the top of the receiver for .22 scope rings and typically command a premium.

IIRC there was a 22Mag version that brings a ton of $$ and a smooth-bore version that brings even more.

I see the earlier models had a metal butt plate and the later ones had a plastic one. Does that matter as far as value is concerned?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see the earlier models had a metal butt plate and the later ones had a plastic one. Does that matter as far as value is concerned?

It probably does to someone. My noggin doesn't get that deep in the weeds on very many. I'll never be the guy who knows SN ranges and how they = year of production off the top of my head. I remember the big things, like being able to mount a scope or not (grooved receiver), and the 22 mag and smoothbore, but there's probably other nuances that I don't know, like the buttplate.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also the real early ones (pre war) had a very nicely shaped smaller fore end.

If you want to look at them. Gunbroker or Guns International generally has quite a few listed.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a couple 1890 winchesters, cool little plinkers.
Have some 9422's as well.
My ruger 1022T definitely gets the most use.
I really like shooting my heavy barreled remington 541 allot as well.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up shooting my dads Remington model 33 single shot 22 S,L,LR. In my mind, it is still one of the most accurate 22’s I have ever fired. It is pretty quiet, especially with shorts.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also the real early ones (pre war) had a very nicely shaped smaller fore end.

If you want to look at them. Gunbroker or Guns International generally has quite a few listed.

Oh I've been looking at them quite a bit. Would be nice to go back in time and buy ever damn Winchester you could find!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75