New Rapala R12 Fillet Knife

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screenshot_20210314-135402_Chrome.jpg

Looked at these in Scheels the other day. New design was almost as eye catching as the $160 sticker. Interested to hear feedback or see one at a cleaning station this spring.

Blade release and trigger lock mechanisms completely redesigned which is great as those are the weak points on the old ones. The new blade release is a single button that feels much more robust than the two side lock buttons on the old style.

Will be interesting to see how power and battery longevity compare. I have both Rapala corded and cordless, and always go for the corded when possible as the previous generation cordless just doesn't have the same power as the 110v. It's fine for some of the walleye I catch but it really struggles on the rib bones of the 24-30" eaters.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard for me to fathom why I'd spend that much on a damn electric knife.

My old rapala corded knife is on it's 4th or 5th set of blades over the past 15+ yrs. While I've had to do a little gluing with the butt of the knife, it's got a few years left in it.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll put that $150 today into the stock market and bring home $300 by summer

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard for me to fathom why I'd spend that much on a damn electric knife.

My old rapala corded knife is on it's 4th or 5th set of blades over the past 15+ yrs. While I've had to do a little gluing with the butt of the knife, it's got a few years left in it.

My corded knife has done a lot of butchering too. Pickups nowadays have 110 VAC outlets in them. My cord is long enough for me.

That being said, I like cordless power tools. This knife appears pretty slick, and includes a second battery. I don't have one on order, but might have to pony up the money this year.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Damn, I must be tight. I've used the American Angler for years. I finally had to replace it and looked at the price and shit, they went way up. I was gifted a Rapala corded a few years back, so I tried that out and used it once. It was sold on a rummage sale. Junk. I finally was in a Home of Economy store and saw a Mister Twister knife on sale for about $25. Bought it and tried it out. Worked decent. Worked as well as my American Angler. Went and bought a couple more just to have on hand at that price.
Side note on the Mister Twister. I worked on a farm for a buddy and he had a Mister Twister electric knife he used for getting the wrapped up canola out of his combine. He said that knife had gone to hell and back before it quit on him. :cool:

Fish On!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
pics 054.jpgMeh....crazy money bought my 1 and only electric knife(8.95) from wards in 1988 only used it on fish ,don't like the handle on these cordless knives,but thats me,for cleaning a bucket of sunfish,crappies or perch my old antique get's er done

gills.jpg

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have tried a couple electric filet knives but honestly I'm pretty comfortable with my Rapala knife that I've been using fro about 50 years. Keep it sharp and it works for me. Can see where the blade is wearing down but it still works. Never runs out of power or needs a cord. Well power can get a little weak if beer is involved in the cleaning but it's the knife I prefer for no other reason than I'm comfortable with it.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked at that knife also, but decided the Bubba route. Posted review at top of page if interested under product reviews.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the cordless bubba about a year ago. I love the knife, hate the blades. I run the blades from my old MR twister in the bubba and love it.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bubbas like cutting fish with a football with blades on it imo. Rapala lithium ion or bust.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once I moved on from the fixed blade knife of yesteryear, i really enjoy filleting fish.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard quite a few complaints of how the Bubba fits in a guys hand as well.
It is a little big but after 1/2 dozen fish, get used to it. Very nice blade flex I think. But I also had read the reviews of the awkward feel.
Pisses me of can't find an Ion battery for the Rapala

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
going from the mr twister to the bubba took a while to get used to. The grip is much fatter but now I find it very comfortable. I've never filleted a fis with the rapala lithium but I handled one a few times and didnt care for how they fit my hand which is why I went to the bubba. crazy how long those batteries last!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we all getting Lazy with the fish limits the ole Leech Lake custom fillet will out due any of those electric jobbys, have seen a lot of them at fish cleaning station was not impressed. Never see butcher shop use them think about that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm often flabbergasted at the skill level (or complete lack of) at the cleaning stations.

Guys with $80,000 boats hacking/gouging their way through fish as though they're 12 yrs old and they never had anyone to teach them. (ask me how I know)

It doesn't matter what the cost or style of the knife is - use what you like.

But for the love of all that is holy - please get good at it. Some of us are sensitive to witnessing caveman game processing skills being practiced upon God's gift to anglers. They simply deserve better.

#guywhoisoffended

- - - Updated - - -

also - I recently got a new battery (free) for my Li Rapala - due to a recall. :)

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old mr twister cleans hundreds of fish. Wont fix what ain’t broke.

ive never seen a butcher shop fillet fish and I don’t use an electric knife to clean deer either. Lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76