Tailrace

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody on here fishing the tailrace? This is gonna sound dumb but I'm curious about tactics for catching some eelpout...

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've caught one in my life: Wingwalls: This time of year on a jig/minnow at night: Lost a few "fish(?)" on a Rapala Ice Jig that night and got blasted on Jack Daniel's. Fucked up my ankle--bad: Last time I drank whiskey.

FYI: Whiskey does nothing for pain if you're already wasted.

Last edited:

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught one in my life: Wingwalls: This time of year on a jig/minnow at night: Lost a few "fish(?)" on a Rapala Ice Jig that night and got blasted on Jack Daniel's. Fucked up my ankle--bad. Last time I drank whiskey.

I have a penchant for whisky and wrecking ankles....

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The bitch about it: It takes months to heal and is more susceptible to further injury. The above happened in '04 and I'm just now coming out of a mild twist from back in Oct. Zero issues for years and a mild sprain turned into hell.

Anyways: Jig/minnow off the wingwalls. Be sure your spool is full and have a hoop net of some sort.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ling, burbot, eelpout (what are you, a minnetuckian?) can be caught fishing the depths of Sak from 4Bears to Williston on Sak relatively easy if you were to target them through the ice.

While I've heard that a person can catch a number of them in the Tailrace at times, it's not the first place I'd go if targeting them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the only place I've ever caught ling, was in the tailrace, but I've never specifically targeted them. I would be happy to land one.

I love fishing the tailrace, as you can never guess what you'll catch, but there's a better-than-fair chance that it'll be big. Carp, northern, walleye, sauger, saugeye, rainbow trout, brown trout, chinook, laker, even cisco and skipjack! The sheer amount of food there, at times, means great forage.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ling, burbot, eelpout (what are you, a minnetuckian?) can be caught fishing the depths of Sak from 4Bears to Williston on Sak relatively easy if you were to target them through the ice.

While I've heard that a person can catch a number of them in the Tailrace at times, it's not the first place I'd go if targeting them.

I'm thinking tailrace cuz I'd like to get the boat in the water this weekend.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay, you forgot catfish, drum and paddle fish.

Haha, so I did!

I've never caught a paddlefish in the fast water, but that must be a rodeo. I've caught them down by the spillway channel.

And how could I forget drum. Last time shorefishing up there, I think I caught four or five.

And the kitties. Yes.. the kitties..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66