30 by 30

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
30% of America in a preservation plan by 2030. So what does everyone think?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/stor...interior-secretary-means-for-hunting-fishing/

On March 15, 2021, Rep. Deb Haaland of New Mexico was confirmed to head up the Department of the Interior (DOI)—an agency that manages roughly 500 million acres of America’s public lands. Haaland is the first Native American Secretary of the Interior and the first Native American Cabinet Secretary in U.S. history.

Haaland faced tough questions for two days in a hearing conducted by the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, ranging from oil-and-gas leases to public land access and grizzly bears. Despite opposition from committee members whose constituents depend on oil and gas and mining, Haaland received enough support from the committee, and members of the Senate, for confirmation.

“While we certainly have different views on some issues, her role in helping to shepherd the Great American Outdoors Act through the House will be beneficial to the Department’s implementation of this landmark conservation law, which I co-sponsored,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) said in a recent press release.

How Does Interior Secretary Haaland Feel About Hunting and Fishing?

Haaland grew up around hunting and fishing. In a document released by the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee containing written questions from members and Haaland’s answers to those questions, she wrote, “I am a Pueblo woman. We have been hunting wild game for centuries. My dad, my grandparents, my brother, they all hunt. In fact, I was fortunate to harvest an Oryx from the White Sands missile range. It fed my family for about a year. I absolutely understand and respect the sportsman and the anglers and their traditions. If confirmed, I look forward to working to ensure that all Americans have the kinds of opportunities that my family and I have had.”

Leading up to her confirmation, Haaland met with and had the support of conservation groups and members of the outdoor industry. In that meeting, Land Tawney of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA) had a chance to get to know her and see what it might be like working with her in the future.

“She offers a strong and knowledgeable vision for the Interior Department, a vision that is informed by her earliest experiences with her family on public lands and waters and on successful hunts in the West,” Tawney said in a BHA press release. “She is approachable, capable, and a bridge-builder.”

While in the House of Representatives, Haaland introduced legislation to protect wilderness areas and create easier access to the outdoors to a broad range of people. In her new role, Haaland would be seeing over the implementation of the Great American Outdoors Act (GAOA) and the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). Groups feel that she will be supportive of both.

“I think the implementation of the LWCF, in particular, is probably one of the top priorities I heard her [talk about], and something we’re supportive of,” says Tawney. “With the last administration—coming in at the very end with that secretarial order from Bernhardt—basically hamstringing the implementation of the [LWCF], and now this administration rescinding that, we’re looking forward to a robust implementation of that $900 million for the first time in almost the existence of a fund.”

What About the 30 by 30 Plan and Access to Land for Hunting and Fishing?

Haaland is a supporter of a recent executive order that seeks to preserve 30 percent of America’s lands and waters by 2030. While this sounds great for habitat preservation, the details of how the plan will be implemented are still unclear. This is leading some to question whether hunters and anglers would have access to preserved lands. But with Haaland at the DOI, conservation groups are optimistic.

Some have criticized the 30 by 30 plan as a federal land grab, but statements around the plan show the goal could be achieved through a patchwork of public and private land. Haaland says that existing public lands would count towards the goal and some groups speculate short-term “habitat leases” on private land could help as well.

Haaland indicated in a written response to a question from Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) that the 30 by 30 plan would take a science-based approach to preserve land and be “respectful of private landowners, Tribal Nations, and existing user groups like hunters, anglers, farmers, and ranchers.” While she didn’t offer many specifics in her responses to questions around the plan, hunting and fishing groups do hold some sway in her decision-making process which could mean more access for hunters and anglers going forward.

“[Haaland] looks at the hunting and fishing community as an important constituency that is there to help move conservation priorities,” Tawney says. “I think when it comes to 30 by 30, one of the things that we brought up [in our meeting] was around refuge expansion and more opportunities on refuges. The last three administrations have increased hunting and fishing opportunities on National Wildlife Refuges. We think there is still some work that probably could be done there.”

What’s Next for Secretary Haaland and the DOI?

Haaland inherits a DOI that has been plagued with controversy and scandal for the past four years. From Zinke’s resignation to the appointment of an anti-public-lands advocate to head up the BLM, the DOI has been at the center of heated debates regarding responsible energy extraction and habitat conservation. The Department has also experienced a loss in personnel as a result of a recent move of the Bureau of Land Management from Washington DC to Grand Junction, CO. Haaland will need to bring the DOI back together and figure out a way for its various branches to collaborate.

Haaland will also have to implement a policy transition from energy dominance to one of energy innovation. President Biden’s agenda calls for a step away from relying on fossil fuels and a move towards alternative energy sources like wind and solar. Haaland will have to implement these changes without taking jobs away from oil and gas workers and produce clean energy without affecting the environment. If done right, this could mean a workforce of skilled former oil and gas employees transitioning to jobs that improve wildlife habitat on public lands and waters.

“I think that she has her hands full,” says Tawney. “But I also think that people are looking at this as a new day and an opportunity to get back to the work that they were doing before. There are a lot of career Interior people who, I think, felt very discouraged over the last few years. Hopefully, they see this as a chance to raise innovative ideas and bring a culture of serving back to the Department of the Interior.”

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bha has to be horny an anti gun person is in office. Seems more and more people are catching onto the con and calling bha out for what they are.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just another "It's for the children" ponzy scheme cooked up by anti-hunter wolves in sheep's clothing.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
As everyone knows, Biden signed a flurry of Executive Orders. One of them was Executive Order 14008. Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad (86 Fed. Reg. 7,619) which he signed on Jan. 27. Contained in that Order is the 30 by 30 program, a radical and aggressive push forwarded by environmental and climate change activists to put 30 percent of the land and water in the United States under permanent protection by 2030.

Biden was inaugurated Jan. 20th and this was ready to go seven days later. The people who got Biden elected have a plan.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haaland is an outspoken animal rights activist, she has been actively trying to ban trapping in her home state.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The United States as we once knew it, is totally doomed.
Just wait until gas goes way higher, light bills go way higher, natural gas and propane goes way higher, and of course all our food and clothing will follow suit.
Then of course wait until they raise all of our taxes. We haven't seen even a start yet of what is going to happen.
Biden voters, are you happy yet? The ones that i know and are complaining already, all I say to them is well you voted for him and you got what you voted for. Trouble is the rest of us have to live with it too.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
when do we quit whining about it on social media, to our friends, to our spouses. what will be the call to action...

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Department of the Interior is required by law to issue a report how they plan to implement this. It should be out in April. However, public access to the report is not guaranteed. Sixteen State Governor's have written a letter to Biden warning against this federal over reach. Burgum is a signatory.

The Trump Administration did a dumb thing making permanent funding for the Land Water Conservation Fund. ($900 million) The LWCF can be used to purchase private property and perpetual easements on property and gift it to their own agencies. The Trump Administration must have thought they were going to be re-elected and control things. Trump Secretary of DOI David Bernhardt was instrumental in giving local governments a seat at the table specifically giving Governors and local officials veto power of acquisition deals.

Biden's Administration squashed that and are pretending they have total authority. They do not.

Now the tug of war begins. Supporters verses opponents. When it is explained to local persons they immediately oppose. So the supporters will move quietly forward as not to rise the ire of the masses. They will try convince opponents they have a whole gymnasium full of supporters and resistance is futile.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. If Backcountry Hunters and Anglers led by CEO Land Tawney contact you and ask you to support this, please post the letter here.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bunny huggers want to make public land off limits to many of us, and the ranchers want to own it for pennies on the dollar. If it isn't broke dont fix it. Why don't both sides go have a massive duel out on the desert. Both sides are trying to use us with their sob stories. Fritz and Tawney should get back to back and go at it, on the pace count of ten.

Either way we would loose access. Ranchers already have grazing rights so what do they want. With public land gone you pay through the nose for access thats what they want.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
PrairieGhost, bunny huggers and ranchers? If that is your take away, then your view is quite small.

30 by 30 is is about preserving 30% of all USA lands by 2030. Federal ownership or federal easement.

federal-public-land-map.jpg

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
The United States as we once knew it, is totally doomed.
Just wait until gas goes way higher, light bills go way higher, natural gas and propane goes way higher, and of course all our food and clothing will follow suit.
Then of course wait until they raise all of our taxes. We haven't seen even a start yet of what is going to happen.
Biden voters, are you happy yet? The ones that i know and are complaining already, all I say to them is well you voted for him and you got what you voted for. Trouble is the rest of us have to live with it too.
Problem is not NEARLY as many people voted for him as the numbers show. I can count on one hand the people I know personally that did.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
On February 23rd the Senate held confirmation Hearing's on Biden's pick for Secretary of the Department of the Interior. Debra Haaland.

Usually in the process the answers are vague. But look at the questions, wowzer,

https://www.energy.senate.gov/services/files/AA15BE63-253D-43D4-9DAC-0C2D99B1C5E1

Senator John Barrasso Wyoming had some interesting questions:

Question 24: The Great American Outdoors Act (GAOA) made the $900 million in annual deposits in the Landand Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) available as mandatory spending. Nearly all of the revenue is derivedfrom oil and gas leasing offshore. The mandatory appropriations are available for the purposes of the fund,including accounts and programs funded under the FY2020 appropriations law.

Purposes include outdoorrecreation grants to states, federal land acquisition, and others (e.g., the Cooperative Endangered SpeciesConservation Fund, administered by FWS). GAOA sets out a procedure for the President to allocate LWCFfunding and an “alternate” procedure for Congress to make allocations. If Congress does not enact an alternateallocation by the date of enactment of full-year appropriations for Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies,the President is to allocate amounts.

a. If confirmed, how would you advise the President to allocate LWCF mandatory funding among federalland acquisition, outdoor recreation grants to states, and other purposes and programs?

b. If you are confirmed, what processes and criteria will DOI use to prioritize funding among the manypotential acquisitions for each agency? Will the agencies collaborate in identifying acquisitions of typesof resources or in geographic areas? Would any collaboration extend to the Forest Service, which alsotypically receives appropriations for acquisitions?

c. A few weeks ago, Acting Secretary de la Vega rescinded former Secretary Bernhardt’s instruction thatany federal acquisitions made using LWCF funds be supported by local communities and theirstakeholders. LWCF was not intended to be a unilateral tool to increase the federal estate, it wasintended to be a tool to benefit the American public. If confirmed, would you commit to ensuring localcommunities and local governments supported any acquisition made by LWCF – before the acquisitiontook place?

d. If confirmed, will you commit to the strong coordination and collaboration with, as well as the frequentand sustained consultation of, state and local officials during any Federal land acquisition initiatives?

e. Under your leadership, what kinds of lands would DOI prioritize for LWCF acquisition?

f. Would you be supportive of using some of the federal LWCF dollars to address key deferredmaintenance needs and issues?

g. The federal land acquisition process requires lengthy and complex procedures and numerous steps,ranging from federal appraisal reviews and environmental site assessments. How will you ensure thatvarious DOI agencies work seamlessly to minimize these lengthy and complicated factors that impactwilling sellers and non-federal entities?

h. In your view, will the mandatory funds in GAOA be sufficient, excessive, or too little for theAdministration’s goals? If you are confirmed as Secretary, will DOI seek additional discretionary fundsfor programs and purposes generally funded by the LWCF?

i. How many acres of land have DOI agencies purchased with LWCF funds to date? Where are these landslocated? How will the amounts and locations change with the new mandatory funds? To what extent will DOI agencies use the funding to acquire permanent and temporary easements and other interests in land(rather than full ownership)?

Debra Haalands RESPONSE: As I testified, I look forward to implementing the Great American Outdoors Act asCongress intended, with the balance that Congress established for resources for both LWCF and publiclands maintenance. I believe conservation works best with local involvement and that LWCF has been abipartisan success. In terms of land acquisition, I look forward to learning more about the factors raisedin this question, but I do believe that increasing access and conserving priority habitat are two importantpurposes of the LWCF. When it comes to funding questions, I am not currently in the administration, soI am not involved in the development of the Fiscal Year 2022 budget request. If confirmed, I will considerwhether additional resources may be necessary or beneficial to either LWCF or deferred maintenanceand work with Congress on funding issues as appropriate.

North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven asked:

Question 11: We must make sure that local landowners continue to have a say in Federal land acquiredthrough the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). I was disappointed to see the Biden administration’sefforts to remove state and local oversight of land acquisitions within their borders, and have concerns that thispolicy change will lead to the federal government acquiring land and water resources without adequate localconsultation. If confirmed, how will you ensure that communities who are most impacted by federal landacquisition have a voice in the process?

Debra Haalands RESPONSE: The Land and Water Conservation Fund is an important conservation tool, including forincreasing access for hunters and anglers, and I am excited about the funds that Congress has providedfor this program. I believe that local stakeholder collaboration is the best approach for conservation. Ifconfirmed, I will make sure the Department will listen to local stakeholders, including you and yourstate’s leadership, about specific project proposals.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Land Water Conservation Fund is funded by public lands oil lease money or money diverted away from the U.S. General Treasury into the Fund. The Biden Administration has banned all new oil and gas on Public Lands for 60 days. During the confirmation hearings of Debra Haaland for Secretary of the Department of the Interior, she always referred to this 60 day thing as a "pause."

The trouble with the "pause" is that companies buying the lease have X amount of time to develop the lease or it expires. Getting whip sawed around all the time is going to drive oil production to other countries. Who benefits?

https://www.westernjournal.com/bide...le-putting-louisiana-oil-gas-industry-danger/

The devastating fallout of the Biden administration’s job-killing rampage continues after he canceled the sale of 80 million acres of Gulf of Mexico oil leases that was scheduled for Wednesday in New Orleans, KLFY-TV in Lafayette, Louisiana, reported Monday.

“It would kill our state. It would kill workers,” Mike Moncla, president of the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association, said of the Biden administration’s move. “It would kill jobs, and it would be a terrible thing.”
According to the Moncla and the association, nearly 250,000 Louisiana residents work in the oil and gas industry, and 98,000 of them have offshore jobs.

President Joe Biden banned all new oil and gas leases on public land and waters for 60 days in an executive order on Jan. 20, the day he took office.
He also canceled the Keystone XL Pipeline project, resulting in the loss of as many as 11,000 energy jobs.

This is all part of a sweeping initiative to make climate change the focal point of Biden’s foreign policy and national security programs.
Financial experts say all this does is hurt the U.S. economy, eliminate countless jobs and set the stage for increased energy costs for all Americans, including sky-high gas prices.

Americans should expect the job massacre to continue as Biden continues to swing the ax through the oil and gas industry.

“Right now I think we’re still pretty much in the holding pattern,” Moncla told KLFY. “It was a 60-day ban, and he was going [to] relook at it.”
But Biden is not expected to ease his “green energy” restrictions, which means the 60-day ban will likely be extended.
Moncla said he hoped Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards’ efforts to persuade the president to reverse course will be successful.

“Since that time, Governor Edwards has sent him a great letter letting him know exactly what that would mean to Louisiana, all of the economic and finances that come from our offshore work,” Moncla said.
“We’re hoping that Governor Edwards’ letter may have talked some sense into the president and that he won’t extend that 60 days.”

Biden mistakenly believes that blocking oil drilling in the United States will curb oil and gas production worldwide.

“Oil and gas production won’t end,” Republican Rep. Clay Higgins of Louisiana told KLFY in February. “It will only move overseas, where it’s far less regulated.
“Sending energy production to countries with horrible ecological records is the worst thing we can do for our climate.”
Republican Rep. Garret Graves of Louisiana said forcing energy jobs to flee overseas to countries that are far less eco-conscious than the U.S. will cause America to become less energy-independent and ultimately hurt the environment more.
Under former President Donald Trump, the U.S. was energy independent for the first time since 1957, according to the Institute for Energy Research. Under Biden, the nation is backsliding — without advancing the environmental causes he claims to champion.
“When you depend on these other countries, you lose the jobs, you lose the economic activity, and you result in greater global emissions,” Graves said.
Higgins agreed that Biden’s catastrophic policies and actions are annihilating the once-sizzling U.S. economy.
“The Biden administration wasted no time launching a full-scale assault on oil and gas that will send production overseas and further injure the economy,” he lamented.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz the Cat;317681 [IMG said:
https://nodakangler.com/forums/cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fattackonliberty.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F01%2Ffederal-public-land-map.jpg[/IMG]

Yep, when you include the reservations as being federally owned, it sure looks like ND has a lot of public land.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, when you include the reservations as being federally owned, it sure looks like ND has a lot of public land.

I also noticed that Fort Berthold and Fort Yates were included. Weird. Speaking of Native Americans. The White Earth Tribe of Ojibwe in Minnesota are requesting funds in the amount of $2,188,000 from the Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Fund to purchase 1,994 acres of land.

Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Fund was a sales tax voted in as a ballot measure (2008). Kind of like our 5% oil revenue rip off they tried here a few years ago. The money can be used to buy private property. Non-profits are usually the go between and then they flip it to the Government or usually the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

The State pays something in lieu of taxes but it isn't the same as from a landowner. However, the Ojibwe do not want to give the land to the MN DNR. They want the land held in trust by the federal government. That's bad. No taxes to the county and they control access to hunting and fishing. I don't believe they were awarded the money.

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/co...ing-of-lessard-sams-outdoor-heritage-council/

We all like to make fun of Minnesotans here. The people in Minneapolis St. Paul really like this Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Fund they voted in. Between $80 and $100 million. They are buying up northern Minnesota like crazy. Where is the best place to put a wildlife management area? Downtown metro or rural? The rural counties are very concerned about their tax base.

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2010/10/08/state-buying-land-county-property-tax

Some Minnesota lawmakers are considering adopting North Dakota's No Net Gain Law.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, Governor Tim Walz (D) of Minnesota was not one of the 16 Governors who sent Biden a letter condemning this 30 by 30 plan. South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem was. She could be the very first female President.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, pretty sure no tribe in America are wanting to buy land for public use (WMA). Rather, they buy it with the intent of having it put in trust for them through the BIA. Way different rules apply.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, pretty sure no tribe in America are wanting to buy land for public use (WMA). Rather, they buy it with the intent of having it put in trust for them through the BIA. Way different rules apply.

Precisely Allen, but be careful not to discriminate. Minnesota's Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Fund has a board that vote to gift/grant out the money. In the by-laws there is criteria to who gets on the board. Like 4 are appointed by the Governor, 1 is appointed by the Chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee etc. In 2010 Rep. Rick Hansen from St. Paul was on the board but was so disruptive he was booted off the board in 2011. He worked his way up to Chairman of the Natural Resources Committee. As Chair he could appoint himself to an open spot in 2018 but he was already booted once so he then appointed Rep. Jamie Becker-Finn. She is Ojibwe.

Lessard-Sams Outdoor Heritage Fund collects around $100 million per year. Is there motivation to stack the board?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74