Electronics Time

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Due to upgrade my electronics. Looking at the birds mainly so I eventually can link with my Minnkota Ipilot. What's the best bang for the buck? Or better options that I've overlooked ?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "bird is the word" figure what screen size,consider the "mega 360" to pair with your bow mount,sonar 360 degree's out to 200'

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
This could vary a lot depending on budget. Are you wanting one graph for the whole boat? Or one at the bow too? Easily could get by with 1500 or could easily go 5k. Totally depends on what you're looking for. They don't go on sale much unless you're looking at older generations. G2N's seem have some decent deals, I don't think they are much different than G3's (I think they have the mega SI but not 100% sure). Scheels sometimes has deals they don't advertise - worth a look to go in and talk to them. They are good about price matching if you happen to find something online.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Birds are on sale at scheels right meow. Inventory is limited tho so shit or get off the pot.

9 megas are like $1200

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up,rather had to special order a helix 9si for a friend as our local stores are sold out,$1250,most advertised around my area $1499, add $100 for lakemaster data chip,gotta add for the mega 360 transducer iffin you feel the need but my friend doesn't have a bow mount trolling motor he'll be fine with his 9 si.,crappie nut,gotta have a leg up on suspended schools over deep water.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve owned 5 Lowrance, 2 Garmin, and two birds the last 5-6 years. If I didn’t have chips I really like for Lowrance, it would Garmin for me. Bird squarely in last place.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ipilot how new?
4 years I think it is. Need to purchase the link yet also if going this route. Would be main dash unit as I generally rotate existing towards front when sitting up there. Currently using old Lowrance LCX-28C HD

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up one of the Garmin UHD 93 sv's for $599 during the holiday sales. Only had it out once so far, but for a 9" touch screen with side imaging and a ton of preloaded maps for that price I'm impressed. Still do like the bird mapping better though, so I kept the helix 7 hooked up just for that. Haven't been able to compare sonar yet side by side, but I expect the Garmin will be better.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve owned 5 Lowrance, 2 Garmin, and two birds the last 5-6 years. If I didn’t have chips I really like for Lowrance, it would Garmin for me. Bird squarely in last place.

I'm with Ahab on this one. I've got bird/lowrances both at my dash and up front in my boat. Birds mapping is excellent, their sonar doesn't hold a candle to Lowrance. Which is my reason for having both!!

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI the G3s are on sale but the new G4s have WiFi so there that upgrade.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up one of the Garmin UHD 93 sv's for $599 during the holiday sales. Only had it out once so far, but for a 9" touch screen with side imaging and a ton of preloaded maps for that price I'm impressed. Still do like the bird mapping better though, so I kept the helix 7 hooked up just for that. Haven't been able to compare sonar yet side by side, but I expect the Garmin will be better.

My bird is side by side with garmin - bird is clearer and only 2d and it is ancient compared to the garmin. Its all in the transducer.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Picked up Livescope from Scheels to go along with my 93 sv's. Now trying to figure out what type of set up for transducer. Gonna be a good year I'm feelin'!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up Livescope from Scheels to go along with my 93 sv's. Now trying to figure out what type of set up for transducer. Gonna be a good year I'm feelin'!

I am running mine independent of the trolling motor so I can always decide where I want it looking.

- - - Updated - - -

yup and we all know that lowrance won the patent lawsuit against garmin
hence clarity imo:

1lowrance
2bird
3garmin

I disagree.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm liking the discussion. . .

Coldfront

Established Member
I have the exact same setup for the reason you mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the exact same setup for the reason as marbleyes mentioned and the bird is also linked to the minnokota.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74