Cross Ranch State Park

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting Mr. Stevenson....maybe I'll take that as a challenge and fish them like I would the Red!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been up north in awhile, but on low water years the spillway pond usually holds some monster cats. Fun fishing from shore for the kids.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting Mr. Stevenson....maybe I'll take that as a challenge and fish them like I would the Red!

That would be incredible. I hope you do and post results. IME Tailrace cats average 3lbs. My theory is the constant cold water temp. They are beautiful fish and taste great from that emerald water. It has killed me from eating catfish from anywhere else in the country. Everywhere else produces a muddy flavor IME.

It would be awesome for you to attack the big lake and prove me wrong.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be incredible. I hope you do and post results. IME Tailrace cats average 3lbs. My theory is the constant cold water temp. They are beautiful fish and taste great from that emerald water. It has killed me from eating catfish from anywhere else in the country. Everywhere else produces a muddy flavor IME.

It would be awesome for you to attack the big lake and prove me wrong.

Challenge accepted! I'll report how I do....If we only get eaters then I'll post pics of what we're eating lol

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't been up north in awhile, but on low water years the spillway pond usually holds some monster cats. Fun fishing from shore for the kids.

What is this "spillway pond" you speaketh of?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would assume cut smelt to be the first "go-to". I hope you get a freaking state record.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The east side of garrison damn where the emergency flood gates are. Last couple years it has been high enough you could drive a boat back there. Years past it was very stagnant. Worms or chicken livers and you could have a hay day with the big cats. I imagine them fixing the gates and the water level dropping it should get fairly similar.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cats are a dime a dozen anywhere in the aforementioned areas. Don't expect Red River size. I can't explain why. One would think Sak should hold monsters. I've seen no evidence and would like to be proven wrong.

Sak does indeed hold trophy cats. One needs to start at Little Knife Bay and work your way west to find them. And find them you shall.

A FROG under a bobber does wonders.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sak does indeed hold trophy cats. One needs to start at Little Knife Bay and work your way west to find them. And find them you shall.

A FROG under a bobber does wonders.

Yet the question remains.....what is trophy size?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds almost like a plan forming....what's "big"?

Growing up in the New Town area, I suppose I've caught a dozen cats (and pike) in the 19 lb range, but I've never landed one over 20 lbs.

If I did, I released it without knowing. Lots of eater cats can be had in the right areas, and since Sak is cooler than the Red, they always taste great.

- - - Updated - - -

Note, if you find them...I would expect a lot of cats in the 3-5 lb range, and I mean A LOT.

- - - Updated - - -

Second note, back in the late 2000s, I fished the Wilton ramp a bunch with cranks.

While I never caught any biggun's, there were days I'd catch 4-7 cats on cranks with an average size of about 4 lbs, with the biggest being about 10. Catfish hitting a crank is a RUSH!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Catch quite a few cats every year thru the ice on Sak as well. They always fool me until I get them thru the hole...feel just like a nice walleye!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the kids catching multiple 5-10# is a blast and exhausting. My biggest out of there is close to 20#. All guessing as I never weighed them. Just started fishing there when the tail race would get slow. Pre- boat years.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day, an old timer told us if we get stung by a bullhead or catfish, rub the part of your hand that got stung on the fishes underbelly and it takes the sting away. It either worked or we believed his story enough that our brain got it to work.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I failed at catfish. To be fair, didn't get to try much at all. I did find the dink walleye pulling cranks around the state park, all 14 to 16" with a 17" goldeye that hit like it was a 26" walleye lol. Lots of family time, great weather, and Art Link cabin was really cool to stay in.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I honestly was hoping for a "holy shit" pic. I'm glad you had quality time! It would be cool to do your own research on the lake coupled with experience on this site and attack next year. You bastard:

https://youtu.be/OV2rhZjhY14

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest you go back out and try it again. Winners never quit

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest you go back out and try it again. Winners never quit

Oh I'll be back! I've learned, as the family matures, that if I want serious fishing time I may need to schedule a separate trip......May even take a trip this year if I can jam it in between baseball games and our other camping trips. Fall may be a good time!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76