Cross Ranch State Park

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're staying in a cabin at Cross Ranch State Park in late June. Thoughts or suggestions on the area? How's the fishing in that stretch of the Missouri?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
usually that section of the river slows down for Walleye, it does vary year to year, a lot of times you would be better traveling north to the UPA ramp or even the tailrace. Like I said different each year, but the middle part of river usually slows around end of may to early june. Hit me up with a PM close to that time and I will give you what I know at that time. Water seems low at this time of year already so not sure what the year will bring with no runoff to enhance the river levels. A lot depends of the releases out of SAK.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago I had a lot of luck with shallow running cranks along the east shoreline north of the Wilton ramp during that time of year. That has changed so much though that it is no longer the honey hole it once was.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told yesterday that the Cross Ranch boat ramp is unusable due to low water and erosion. The dock is not in.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told yesterday that the Cross Ranch boat ramp is unusable due to low water and erosion. The dock is not in.

Well, none of this sounds overly promising for fishing the Missouri! Trip wasn't intended to be about fishing necessarily, but was thinking of trailering the boat and travelling if need be one of the days. Sounds like that may be the ticket if we want to get on some walleye!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished the shoreline of Cross Ranch in the latter part of the summer and never pulled more than one walleye dink in. There are a number of sunken logs and trees in that immediate area, as well, so you might lose a few rigs.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like I should be prepared to head north to the big lake if I want to fish.

How's the east end/Audubon area late June? Tailrace any good then?

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About 20 plus years ago wife, youngest son, myself, her brother, wife and daughter camp a couple day/nights there.
Storm came up river from north at night with thunder hitting on river and trees, mainly river. Sharp lighting.
Just sat and listen to the storm making its way to us.

Storm finally hit next to us at mid night. Had pop up and when thunder hit pop up would just shake. A lot of old, tall cotton wood and they start coming down with the thunder.
Lasted for some time and never been in a storm like that one with little rain. We were nervous, very loud. Brother was in a tent as was our son and their daughter. None of us under a cottonwood.

So if you go, do not camp under one of them there old and tall cottonwoods. Even the next day, now and then, a hugh branch would come trashing down off a tree. db

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like I should be prepared to head north to the big lake if I want to fish.

How's the east end/Audubon area late June? Tailrace any good then?

That should be east end sak’s bread and butter time

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
That should be east end sak’s bread and butter time

I'll be looking for a bite to get the kids and wife into, with maybe a few to take back to camp. Sounds like a plan is being formed. Thanks!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope.................no fish on the east end, you need to go west...........way west. :;:muahaha

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be looking for a bite to get the kids and wife into, with maybe a few to take back to camp. Sounds like a plan is being formed. Thanks!

I usually fish the beaver bay oahe area until June and then head to the big lake. As it gets closer feel free to pm me and I’ll try and point you to a general area as fishing can be good from 83 embankment to clear west of Douglas bay that time of year. It’s always fishing and never a guarantee but should be able to do some catching that time of year!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually fish the beaver bay oahe area until June and then head to the big lake. As it gets closer feel free to pm me and I’ll try and point you to a general area as fishing can be good from 83 embankment to clear west of Douglas bay that time of year. It’s always fishing and never a guarantee but should be able to do some catching that time of year!

Thanks to both you and Dukgnfsn for the offer to PM - I'll likely take you both up. Obviously won't be looking for specific honey holes but more of a point in the right direction. Kind of intimidating to look at for the first time and know how to make the most of your time....

Anyone weigh in on catfishing that area in June? I do quite a bit on the Red and enjoy getting 'em in new settings....

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Headed to Cross Ranch on Tuesday with my wife and two teenage boys. Any last minute recommendations on sights to see or fishing opportunities? I'm an experienced fisherman but zero time on Sak or the Missouri. Would be interested in walleye or cats.

Thank you!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Headed to Cross Ranch on Tuesday with my wife and two teenage boys. Any last minute recommendations on sights to see or fishing opportunities? I'm an experienced fisherman but zero time on Sak or the Missouri. Would be interested in walleye or cats.

Thank you!

Cats are a dime a dozen anywhere in the aforementioned areas. Don't expect Red River size. I can't explain why. One would think Sak should hold monsters. I've seen no evidence and would like to be proven wrong.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74