Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
$20 billion for USDA conservation programs
$2.6 billion to support coastal resilience projects
$5 billion for forest management on public and private land
$500 million for habitat conservation and ecosystem restoration project in BLM land and National Park Service lands
$100 million to rebuild and restore the National Wildlife Refuge System$1 billion for
$1 billion for conservation technical assistance across the country

We don't have the money for anything right now, and national defence in this crazy world should be our first priority. If we were in the same shape as when Yrump was president these would be good things to spend money on. However not at this time and we shouldn't take bait, and that's what this is. Improving public land keeps us from being totally dependent on private lands. That's why some oppose it. Others oppose anything other than them getting the money.

Oh for your information I only belonged to BCHA one year. I decided I didn't like them either. Your view of BCHA reminds me of one of my mothers old cliches " don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
$20 billion for USDA conservation programs
$2.6 billion to support coastal resilience projects
$5 billion for forest management on public and private land
$500 million for habitat conservation and ecosystem restoration project in BLM land and National Park Service lands
$100 million to rebuild and restore the National Wildlife Refuge System$1 billion for
$1 billion for conservation technical assistance across the country

We don't have the money for anything right now, and national defence in this crazy world should be our first priority. If we were in the same shape as when Yrump was president these would be good things to spend money on. However not at this time and we shouldn't take bait, and that's what this is. Improving public land keeps us from being totally dependent on private lands. That's why some oppose it. Others oppose anything other than them getting the money.

Oh for your information I only belonged to BCHA one year. I decided I didn't like them either. Your view of BCHA reminds me of one of my mothers old cliches " don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

It was highlighted i didnt even see any of that in the post i quoted. Other than delta pretty much done with every national org.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baiting doesn't have to end. It will, only if sportsmen let the elite highly intelligent talking heads at National Wildlife Federation, Wildlife Society, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and a bunch of other non-profits tell your Representative and Senator that they represent you.

CWD is the hammer.

"Your" Game and Fish Department belongs to the people.

If you want to debate whether or not a gallon or five gallons of corn should be permissible, you will lose.
If you want to debate why a food plot is permissible but bait is not, you will lose.
If you want to bait because it increases opportunity for young or handicapped persons, you will lose.

Many of you want to believe that your $20 dollar deer license fees totally fund the Game and Fish. Their surrogate non-profits are helping bring in other government funds by the millions.

Whom are they going to listen to?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
its just unbelievable to me that regardless of a persons opinion on CWD. that in spite of the world and Americas current situation that we are living in our govt officials want to spend that kind of money and study to decide if we can place a bag of fkn corn on the ground to entice deer like you cannot make this shit up . how they feel that ranks of any importance now is staggering nevermind the fact we can barely get supply and demand under control we want to fight about putting corn on the ground. you would likely get a more severe punishment from baiting deer than pedophilia to our children cuz we know our leaders of this country are deep into this. God help us .

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is ridiculous that the government is involved and I’m fearful the direction it’s going is only getting worse. CWD, while not a good thing has been shown to not be a huge deal. And guess what, deer frequent the same spaces all year long. They herd up in the winter. They feed in the same spilled grain and corn every night. What makes that corn illegal when it’s 5 gallons spilled near a stand? Next they’ll prescribe burns on your land to get rid of bedding areas in order to slow the spread. Also, a warden told me that even tinks is considered baiting, WTF?

Full disclosure, I like BHA. They’ve taken no stance on baiting. The way I see it each org has its own narrow focus. Delta: better duck habitat. MDF: more mule deer. BHA: access to public land. RMEF: more elk. They’ve each received some of my spare change.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone know If:

using mineral sites BEFORE hunting season is illegal in the “no baiting” units?
what about putting doe estrus on your boots before you walk into your tree stand in November?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is ridiculous that the government is involved and I’m fearful the direction it’s going is only getting worse. CWD, while not a good thing has been shown to not be a huge deal. And guess what, deer frequent the same spaces all year long. They herd up in the winter. They feed in the same spilled grain and corn every night. What makes that corn illegal when it’s 5 gallons spilled near a stand? Next they’ll prescribe burns on your land to get rid of bedding areas in order to slow the spread. Also, a warden told me that even tinks is considered baiting, WTF?

Full disclosure, I like BHA. They’ve taken no stance on baiting. The way I see it each org has its own narrow focus. Delta: better duck habitat. MDF: more mule deer. BHA: access to public land. RMEF: more elk. They’ve each received some of my spare change.

I guess that makes them special interest, but then that means farmers are special interest also. I know people always start using names like special interest to scare people, but are we not all a member of a special interest group? Im 74 years old, so I guess my special interest group is senior citizens. Also my very special interest is second amendment. It's the teeth of all my other special interests. You know like freedom of speech etc.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know If:

using mineral sites BEFORE hunting season is illegal in the “no baiting” units?
what about putting doe estrus on your boots before you walk into your tree stand in November?

The rules in general say you cannot "hunt over bait". There's probably a time required after an unnatural food/mineral/scent/??? is removed that it is then safe to hunt without fear of prosecution. There are no rules against mineral blocks, supplemental feeding, or squeezing of a tarsal gland that can be used against you so long as you are not actively hunting that site.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone go to the meeting in Fargo monday night or the one in Minot last night? I was going to go monday night but had to do something else. Curious about the turnout and public input they received. Wish they would video these and put them on the website.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night the meeting was in Dickinson. Pretty much a nothing burger. CWD past...CWD presently...rehash.

CWD future, more plans to write policy. More plans to look at other States policies and glean from that what is good and adopt those to ND policy.

About 35 in attendance with almost half of those being mandatory attendees. About 15 sportsmen there. Maybe two under fifty. Two women, one was a State employee.

It was a presentation.... NDSportsman, there was no input from the public. It was made very clear, if you have a question, take it up with a biologist (one on one) after the meeting.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is wrong with doing more to protect habitat? As long as the money set aside provides PUBLIC access to habitat created, I see it as a good thing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last night the meeting was in Dickinson. Pretty much a nothing burger. CWD past...CWD presently...rehash.

CWD future, more plans to write policy. More plans to look at other States policies and glean from that what is good and adopt those to ND policy.

About 35 in attendance with almost half of those being mandatory attendees. About 15 sportsmen there. Maybe two under fifty. Two women, one was a State employee.

It was a presentation.... NDSportsman, there was no input from the public. It was made very clear, if you have a question, take it up with a biologist (one on one) after the meeting.

These transportation restrictions are dumb . What other state thought of such a dumb policy? Manage CWD like WY, the deer populations are more greatly affected by mt lions than CWD.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
refill the feeders boys! season opens in 1 week and nobody likes a small bait pile

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone go to the meeting in Fargo monday night or the one in Minot last night? I was going to go monday night but had to do something else. Curious about the turnout and public input they received. Wish they would video these and put them on the website.

The game and fish only has everyone’s contact info be it email or text messaging. They could notify the public in a better way, but then again, do they actually want that? The public’s input?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rumor control has it some sportsmen have approached their Representatives to draft a Bill making it unlawful for Game and Fish to ban baiting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a bill simply making baiting legal?

Does NDGF actually have authority to write laws? Interesting topic.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a bill simply making baiting legal?

Does NDGF actually have authority to write laws? Interesting topic.

No. However, using their surrogate non-profits they can ask the Legislature for a Bill to ban baiting. They tried that in 2011 (I believe).
It failed miserably.

Looking through the Game and Fish section of the ND Century Code, I cannot find any law banning baiting.

North Dakota Century Code (ndlegis.gov)

But....Game and Fish website says:

Chronic Wasting Disease | North Dakota Game and Fish

It is illegal to hunt big game over bait (see CWD proclamation for a list of bait items), or place bait to attract big game for the purpose of hunting, in deer units 1, 2B, 3A1, 3A2, 3A3, 3A4, 3B1, 3C, 3D1, 3D2, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E and 4F (2022 season).It is also illegal to hunt big game over bait or place bait on any Department Wildlife Management Area.

So, what makes it illegal or unlawful? If there is a law in the Century Code banning baiting on private property in so many other words, I may have overlooked it.

I did find in the Century Code a law where-bye a hunter must ask a landowner for permission to place bait. Meaning Game and Fish has the authority to say no to baiting on their properties.

20.1-01-37. Permission required for baiting - Penalty.Without permission from the owner or an individual authorized by the owner of the property,an individual may not enter upon another person's property and intentionally place bait to attractor manipulate the behavior of wildlife. An individual's first violation of this section is a class 1noncriminal offense. An individual's second or subsequent violation of this section is aninfraction for which a fine of two hundred fifty dollars must be imposed.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish only has everyone’s contact info be it email or text messaging. They could notify the public in a better way, but then again, do they actually want that? The public’s input?
Update:
Kentucky Windage is on to something. When there is federal legislation such as The CWD Research and Management Act for $70 million, A formality is public hearings/forums in the States before a federal vote. It will be noted these meetings were held and there was no opposition.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76