Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Call game and fish and lady said the new banning areas have not been finalize so told her my opinion and she will pass on. Said to attend the upcoming meeting they plan on having to state my thoughts. But i am sure the current plan is final. db

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m pretty sure it’s all about ego at this point. Since science doesn’t support it.

- - - Updated - - -

(power/control)

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty soon they’ll be piping King Nothing through the PA of their offices. So bizarre how old institutions are crumbling.

And this retard ego began with "supportive" parents and participation "trophies".

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND is the last great place for freelance hunters

That couldn't be further from the truth. With only a few exceptions, nearly every western state is drastically better for a freelance big game hunter.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2684.jpg
Make your voice heard. Attend the meeting and make them back the science, which they won't be able to do. They are basing their rationale for banning by "beliefs". Ask them why established bait bans have done nothing to stop the rampant spread of the disease in other states...they won't have an answer for you. But they "believe" by banning baiting, it will slow the progression down, when in reality all it is doing is taking a tool away from hunters and slowly chipping away at a ethical practice to harvest game. Game and Fish policy shouldn't be made on "beliefs".

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been to several of those district advisory meetings in Bismarck. Not sure about other locations but for Bismarck anyway it always seemed like out of those who attended it was about a 50/50 split down the middle for baiting bans...if not skewed a little in favor of an all out ban. That would become apparent when someone would speak up against them. I quit speaking out against it in social circles in general as I got older as it became apparent it just wasn’t worth discussing if you wanted to still get along with someone, but I still have to lump the passion to hunt with bait into the pile of topics I just won’t ever understand, similar to things like “special” transgender rights and every white male automatically being a racist, sexist, root of all evil because of their skin color. I’m just ignorant I guess. When the whole idea of baiting really started to bother me was after a few separate occasions that neighbors completely disrupted deer patterns and my ability to hunt natural deer movement when they decided to put up deer feeders. In my mind at the time, they stole my opportunity because they had “baiting fever” and it pissed me off. Now that I am older and realize life isn’t always fair (keep that in mind, pigsticker) I just have way too many more important things higher on the list for me personally so not worth wasting my energy debating (or de-baiting) the act of baiting. Land access is probably the #1 hunting related issue that concerns me and coincidentally is probably a big reason behind the passion for baiting and disdain towards baiting for many folks.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the 50/50 opinion trend on baiting. I have family who became “cold” to me for putting out feeders. Those feeders are illegal now, so maybe they’ll respect me again.

Gosh - I sure hope so. Ha ha.

Not. Someone who allowed how I preferred to legally hunt dictate their respect for family isn’t worthy of my respect. :)

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The train of thought I’ve always battled with in this discussion is a planted food plot that brings whole herds of deer together is considered fair chase and causes no issue with the spread of disease. Dumping a coffee cup full of corn on the ground to get an animal to stop for an ethical shot is cheating and also spreads disease like crazy. Weird kind of logic to me anyway

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think what eased up my opinion one way or the other on the topic, similar to your point Twitch, is as I grew older I realized we all have what we have to work with. Some of us have 5 acres to hunt and some have 5,000. Some have the means to grow crop fields, others food plots, others bait piles, and others none of the above. Like every other aspect of life we all come from a different place with different tools and levels of experience. Of course, for me that was a concept that came of age. I was probably 30 before that started to resonate with me consistently. For some it comes earlier than me and for others it never comes. Either way, I’m over it. I’m more blessed with my setup than many and far less blessed than others but I’m okay with that. I work with what I have without intentionally screwing over someone else and I try to provide as much new opportunity to youth hunters as possible in the process...both in hunting opportunity and hopefully with putting value in things like being grateful for what is given, being thankful for what you have, and being open-minded and cognizant and respectful towards what others don’t have and haven’t been given. The baiting topic is one that can really bring out the worst in some people unfortunately and let’s face it, we have plenty of non-hunting related issues that already do that.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me i had 1.8 acres to work with and what i did on that land i am comfortable with. Yes i have expanded to other areas.
My plot on that 1.8 acres has brought a flock of elk to winter on it.

And i do not agree with what some others do like the guy who told me he had 5 gratis tags with his family, he shot the five bucks and i found out afterwards not on his land but he was proud of the picture he was showing to the group of us at coffee of the five bucks. And no one said anything.
So you do what you are comfortable with and i will live with what i do. db

- - - Updated - - -

And at my plot in 34a all the water holes in the area are dry and i find no water in the area. So a sand point goes in under a solar panel and that will be the only water for miles. db

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
My stance on baiting deer depends on what side of the bed I wake up on any givin day.
One day, I hate the thought of it.
Next day I feel for you guys in the wide open ND prairies/pastures and see the beauty of it.

I coyote hunt ND and hunt the RedRiver bottoms.
Can walk miles of river bottom (wooded) in nodak and see lots of tree stands during winter.
First thing I do is look for a "bait station".
9 times outta 10, I will see remnants of one, yet 100 yards across the river in MN, we can't bait. We do just fine across the river;:;popcorn

What baffles me as I've snuck up on some tremendous bucks while out coyote calling in the prairie/pastures in nodak yet never hear a peep about anyone stalking deer.
The "hunter" in me wishes baiting would end and people get back into hunting but I also feel you fellas that hunt open areas may (mostly) need it to get a deer because of the ingrained idea over the years that you NEED to do it to kill a deer.

That said, try getting out and glass in the morning. Watch em bed down and execute a stalk. Its super fun and you will learn alot.

I'm SO glad MN doesn't allow baiting.:;:thumbsup

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think what eased up my opinion one way or the other on the topic, similar to your point Twitch, is as I grew older I realized we all have what we have to work with. Some of us have 5 acres to hunt and some have 5,000. Some have the means to grow crop fields, others food plots, others bait piles, and others none of the above. Like every other aspect of life we all come from a different place with different tools and levels of experience. Of course, for me that was a concept that came of age. I was probably 30 before that started to resonate with me consistently. For some it comes earlier than me and for others it never comes. Either way, I’m over it. I’m more blessed with my setup than many and far less blessed than others but I’m okay with that. I work with what I have without intentionally screwing over someone else and I try to provide as much new opportunity to youth hunters as possible in the process...both in hunting opportunity and hopefully with putting value in things like being grateful for what is given, being thankful for what you have, and being open-minded and cognizant and respectful towards what others don’t have and haven’t been given. The baiting topic is one that can really bring out the worst in some people unfortunately and let’s face it, we have plenty of non-hunting related issues that already do that.

maybe the best post I’ve ever seen on this site . Thanks. And I agree

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m glad they don’t allow baiting down here ethically I don’t think I could do it. I rather just sit at 600 yds and shoot the deer.

:::

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
My stance on baiting deer depends on what side of the bed I wake up on any givin day.
One day, I hate the thought of it.
Next day I feel for you guys in the wide open ND prairies/pastures and see the beauty of it.

I coyote hunt ND and hunt the RedRiver bottoms.
Can walk miles of river bottom (wooded) in nodak and see lots of tree stands during winter.
First thing I do is look for a "bait station".
9 times outta 10, I will see remnants of one, yet 100 yards across the river in MN, we can't bait. We do just fine across the river;:;popcorn

What baffles me as I've snuck up on some tremendous bucks while out coyote calling in the prairie/pastures in nodak yet never hear a peep about anyone stalking deer.
The "hunter" in me wishes baiting would end and people get back into hunting but I also feel you fellas that hunt open areas may (mostly) need it to get a deer because of the ingrained idea over the years that you NEED to do it to kill a deer.

That said, try getting out and glass in the morning. Watch em bed down and execute a stalk. Its super fun and you will learn alot.

I'm SO glad MN doesn't allow baiting.:;:thumbsup

I wouldn't base anything north dakota related over what you witness in the "red river bottoms" and rarely would you ever see a stalk take place or even know it's happening, but I assure you it happens plenty. Minnesota have any kind of coyote population or same story as their waterfowl?
9A7A6765-0158-4A44-98EF-8970080F094C.jpg

Last edited:

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
3A4 has now been added to the list as well slowly taking one unit at a time and stripping our right and decision away based on nothing more than an opinion that baiting is bad no proof to back it up

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just visited with a game warden and ask him why they expanded the area of baiting into 3a4 and not the whole state.

He said they been told by the legislators not to ban baiting. So ask him why they then expanded it. No real answer.

Yes i do a bunch of food plots and do bait. i understand the ethics issue. But you have your ethics and i have mind. As stated, watch your own bobber db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79