Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol - I concur

- - - Updated - - -

food plots are different than baiting atleast in my eye . Baiting , to me I’d sitting over a corn pile which is how I’d guess atleast 50% of deer in me are shot

different ethically or with regard to their ability to “spread CWD”?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should hold a protest, create our own cancel culture, and marry our cousins.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ND Game and Fish floated a total baiting ban Bill about ten years ago. Of course Game and Fish cannot introduce Bills so they handed the ball/Bill to their surrogates or controlled opposition orgs, the ND Chapter of the Wildlife Society and the ND Wildlife Federation. It didn't work. Sportsmen sent emails, letters, phone calls and testified big time. Fishingbuddy had 55,000 views on that topic. The Bill failed.

Of course no one likes an authoritarian move like that but sportsmen will accept little bites taken out of their asses over time. The Plan is now working. Thirty "experts" wrote Best Management Practices. Your Game and Fish has it on their website under Resources and Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies:

https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/more

or, https://www.fishwildlife.org/applic...3/AFWA_Technical_Report_on_CWD_BMPs_FINAL.pdf

Page 4:

The intended audience of this document is the leadership of the United States and Canadian state,federal, provincial, and territorial fish and wildlife agencies, including directors, programadministrators, and managers who make management and policy decisions for wildlifepopulations within their authorities and jurisdictions.

These "experts" cover every scenario and talking point. Even Human Dimensions. That would be a behavioral study of you.

Page 88:

The wildlife management environment functionally has three components – wildlife, habitats,and humans. It can broadly be stated that everything that does not directly involve wild animalsor their habitats is about humans (Decker et al. 2012). The human component of the managementenvironment falls within the field of study known as human dimensions, which can be defined asthe application of the social sciences to natural resources management issues. Human dimensionsresearch attempts to describe and understand human thought and behavior toward fish andwildlife management with a goal to improve management.

These "experts" need your Game and Fish to adopt this. And then your Game and Fish to sell you on the idea this is the Bible of management. A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3AucngCEFE

These five are talking about many things that will impact you as a sportsmen.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I SUPPORT hunting and fishing however a sportsman wants to do it. Everyone's got a choice when they go out to hunt or fish. Like was said before, everyone's situation is different. Different strokes for different folks. I really like the united front the North Dakota Sportsmen put up. SMFH.

Fish On!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
A hunter harvested deer was taken in 3A2 and had CWD. Because of that, Game and Fish can annex the next county into the baiting ban. That is how they took 3A4.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of talking in that video and people with excellent credentials. All of the questions coincided with their belief system, nothing that opposed their thought process. Nobody bothered to ask why the BMP's implemented haven't even slowed the spread of the disease in states that have implemented the recommended "preventative measures". I'm very discouraged that our GnF embraces science in regards to a committee's opinion, yet refuses to acknowledge the factual science of states/provinces that have implemented bait bans and travel restrictions have yet to show a slight inkling of the regression of the disease. Whether we like it or not, this disease is here to stay and will spread at it's will, until nature and evolution have allowed animals to overcome it. In the meantime, the experts will play god and limit hunters from utilizing a traditional and useful tool to harvest deer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m still stumped as to why food plots are ok, feeders are not. Food plots concentrate deer all year long - especially winter. For 3 months after hunting season is over.

Hunters bait either on occasion or during the hunting season - and the vast majority stop baiting at season’s end.

Which results in more overall congregating?

And no, I am not advocating they ban food plot baiting. That would be just as ineffective as banning feeders.

This “pile of corn” phrase I hear over and over makes no sense either. Those hunters must not have turkeys in their area. You’d go broke piling corn out west.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
said the guy with big food plots... lol

Guy and Pigsticker,

Hopefully from my statement you could see that it's more frustration on my end. lol .I do not support a bait ban, at all. I have sent multiple emails and talked with multiple biologists from other states that I attended college with. The group consensus is that bait bans do not work in the grand scheme of things, most people including myself look at the data in Wyoming and can see it rather plainly.

Our game and fish does a great job in a lot of areas, but I feel this specific thing is lacking some serious input and common sense, especially if you look at other agencies that have 10x-100x the critters and tag allotment. The spread of this has not stopped with bait bans, so energy should be directed in other directions/alternatives.

My comment is more for just getting it over with. We can see the writing on the wall for what the goal is. Again, more frustration on my end and the bait ban will not solve this issue. I love my food plots and to be honest I don't kill a lot of critters over them, but they do provide some great food/health for a good sized population of different critters.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I could care less if a guy wants to bait or not. There are a lot of hunting practices that one guy will do and the next won’t. Baiting...not for me, but we all measure a “successful” hunt differently than the next guy I guess.

One thing I’m pretty sure of...if you get rid of baiting your deer harvest will go way down because I know MANY folks who don’t have the patience or the the know-how to do it any other way.

Last edited:

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am tired of hearing "just let it happen because its going to happen anyway." I know it takes time and effort to state our cases but it needs to be done. This roll over and die attitude is exactly what "they" want. I do bait at a few of my stand sites but i still do the old orange army pushing shelter belts and sloughs, because I can and enjoy it as well!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
is deer hunting that different up there than here as we cant bait and plenty of deer get killed every year in sodak?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m still stumped as to why food plots are ok, feeders are not. Food plots concentrate deer all year long - especially winter. For 3 months after hunting season is over.

Hunters bait either on occasion or during the hunting season - and the vast majority stop baiting at season’s end.

Which results in more overall congregating?

And no, I am not advocating they ban food plot baiting. That would be just as ineffective as banning feeders.

This “pile of corn” phrase I hear over and over makes no sense either. Those hunters must not have turkeys in their area. You’d go broke piling corn out west.

Every area is different in so many ways, There is no one size shoe that fits all. Here is my observation FWIW. I had two CRP contracts the first one was without plots and the second one with. The first contract I hardly saw any wildlife at all.

The second one I had a better conservation plan and planted two separate food plots to small grains every year and deer didn't concentrate all year long, we would see a few here and there but never a bunch at one time. There were trees and fields of small grains all around me so I suppose the reason for deer not to gather in the plots.

What I did see with the plots though was a good crop of sharp-tail grouse that showed up. I'd never saw one up here before.
I'd try to swath the food plots in the fall before they shelled out and then leave them lay. Not near as much goes to waste and the birds would be out there scratching around in the windrows and almost always on the coldest days in the winter. The deer would really start hitting the plots about this time of the year/ late winter/ early spring and paw around the swaths and that's when the pregnant does need it the most IMO.

I rent the farmland out now so it's no longer farmed for wildlife and it really shows, I haven't saw a sharpie or a pheasant in a few years.
I realize it's not the same all over but that's the difference I see between a deer feeder and a food plot in my area.

- - - Updated - - -

Dirty nailed it.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The video begins with Dr. Michael Osterholm at the University of Minnesota. You may have seen him lately in the news fanning the flames of Covid-19. Two years ago he stood before the Minnesota Legislature and said, "zombie deer disease". That went viral or Nation wide. He talked about the ongoing transmission of the disease in the cervidae specie and it's potential spread to humans and other farm raised livestock.

The Legislature immediately threw $1.7 million his way. U of M has CIDRAP or Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. None of the money went to research. Everything to policy. The CWD Resource Center was created. They collect stories. The same ones anyone can get at Google. They collect data. From the US Geological Survey. The CWD Resource Center is duplicity and redundant. But they now are funded.

They were not always funded. The National Deer Alliance was created to be the unifier umbrella group for many orgs such as Quality Deer Management, Mule Deer Foundation, Whitetails Unlimited etc. They have been drafting these "Best Management Practices" together with Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies for quite some time. Nick Pinizzotto, is CEO of National Deer Alliance. (incidentally he worked for Delta Waterfowl in Bismarck) Board Chairman Jay McAninch of Archery Trade Association. (incidentally Jay worked for the MN DNR)

About 10 years ago ND sportsmen beat back the baiting Bill. After that these guys went back to the drawing board how to beat you or at the very least get you to support them and their "Best Management Practices." Thing is...the document has no authority. Unless you over look that part and instead debate what is in it.

https://archerytrade.org/national-deer-alliance-gets-its-marching-orders/

Lots of pictures.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87