Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can't speak to other peoples hunting and harvest data, but I can share mine and my family's. We have all hunted both non bait and bait. We have killed fewer deer over bait than we did without bait. When hunting over bait, we had cameras out and targeted the mature bucks. When hunting without bait, we shot more deer but the deer we shot were younger and not near as mature. It seamed we weren't as fussy because we had less pictures and less opportunity to look them over? When it comes to younger hunters and getting them out in the field, I found that the more deer we could get in front of them, the more hooked on hunting they would get. Nothing like watching young hunters or hunters without much experience, have success on their first deer or just see their amazement when watching deer and their behavior.
I would think the G&F would have all kinds of data on harvest before and after baiting. I also think the G&F regulates the harvest according to surveys and numbers every year.
Dirty, I agree completely with your first paragraph. Why not just leave it at that?
"I could care less if a guy wants to bait or not. There are a lot of hunting practices that one guy will do and the next won’t. Baiting...not for me, but we all measure a “successful” hunt differently than the next guy I guess".

Mask, no mask? Vaccine, no vaccine? Fish, no fish tourney's? Crank baits, crank baits suck-ban them? live bait, no live bait? Bow hunt, Rifle hunt? Bait, no bait?
Fish On!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put the second paragraph after the first because it was a thought I had while I was typing. Nothing more. That’s how I work all of my posts, without much consideration as to which parts some people would like me to include or exclude. Both paragraphs are my opinion, take them or leave them.

Last edited:

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
is deer hunting that different up there than here as we cant bait and plenty of deer get killed every year in sodak?

It's not so much about being able to harvest deer without bait. It's about our G&F implementing practices that real life scenarios have proven ineffective.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not so much about being able to harvest deer without bait. It's about our G&F implementing practices that real life scenarios have proven ineffective.

I agree the ban is nothing but a social issue with little science involved but the reduced deer harvest really wouldnt be an outcome either.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree there is no science behind a bait ban being effective for much of anything disease related. Other than stopping baiting, it is stopping nothing. Why the game and fish clings to that rationale I have no idea. Nor do I know their real motives. They look foolish for taking their current approach. You don’t really need to look any farther than the way deer congregate in the winter to blow the CWD theory apart.

You are right also Kurt that deer harvest probably wouldn’t go way down (I should have not used the word WAY in my post) - but I stand by the statement that many people don’t know another way to hunt deer (nothing wrong with that). You are either sitting in front of your bait waiting or your not deer hunting. I know some personally...it doesn’t make me like them any less, but if there isn’t a feeder involved they are clueless and frustrated...like fishing without a fancy depth finder for some folks. I truly believe the archery success rate (and maybe participation in general) would noticeably decrease if there was an all out baiting ban and if it was actually followed (you know some will continue to use it). How that would affect overall annual harvest I’m not sure.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must admit I'd much rather sit on bait than do the orange army drives.

In fact, I'll never participate in a deer drive again. Ugh.

That said I've shot more deer off bait than on. I had only been sitting for 5 years or so when they banned it.

The relaxed ability to make a humane shot is really a BIG plus of baiting that I'll miss - a lot.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The baiting ban is all about one thing, morals. Has nothing to do with disease or science it's about people pushing their morals on everyone else. It's been going down that road for awhile now and it's only going to get worse.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hadn't really paid any attention to the CWD issue other than what I have read in a few posts on here so I decided to read a few articles about it in the last couple of days.
I am not finding exactly what I am grasping on this thread as far as there is no science behind it so now I'm curious. Can someone post an article or two that can explain how a ban on baiting will not lower the risk of CWD spreading ?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We can also lower the risk of spreading CWD by banning food plots that congregate deer why aren't those being considered?

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't know where banning guns came from with my question but... ok. I was more interested in a science based article because I was shocked that most opinions on here were that there is no science behind the decision.

- - - Updated - - -

We can also lower the risk of spreading CWD by banning food plots that congregate deer why aren't those being considered?

guess it was edited.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 300 some odd deer on my land every winter. Regardless of how many did or didn’t visit a bait pile between April and January, they all rub noses for two months daily between February and March. I just think they are such social creatures that eliminating the small congregations at bait piles does nothing in the grand scheme of things as far as eliminating the nose to nose contact they have otherwise.
Deer are very social. At different times of year they are maybe somewhat solitary, or hang out in small social circles, but often enough they congregate in larger numbers. I’ve spent enough time over 30 years in a tree stand up close or in a lawn chair from a distance watching them and the dinner table is not where they do all or even most of their licking and kissing.

By the way, I’m NOT a fan of baiting personally and I’m definitely not stretching my neck out looking for ways to defend it. With life in general I’m tired of the trend we have set to always look for a new way to make everything so much easier....striving to have success with minimal effort. But I don’t need to bore everyone with my opinions. Some people equate bait piles to deer hunting...one in the same - can’t have one without the other. Others feel like there is a time and a place for it...youth, elderly, etc. Others are dead set against it for ethical reasons with no exception. I know where I fit in and I get all that, However we change too many things these days just because “someone doesn’t like it”.

If there ever is some science that strongly backs up the disease reduction motive I’m on board. It’s just a tough sell for me because I watch deer all year. There are no bait piles on my land and there never will be, but if one deer has CWD, there all gonna get it come February. I worry a lot more about the guy who started a deer farm 3 miles away but that’s a topic for another day.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose food plots might be considered and might have some regulations down the road too . What I think would be a real culprit is salt and mineral licks .

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know where banning guns came from with my question but... ok. I was more interested in a science based article because I was shocked that most opinions on here were that there is no science behind the decision.

- - - Updated - - -

guess it was edited.
Yes I changed it because I knew that was going to be the response. To me it's the same basic principal but whatever.

As far as science based articles show me the ones that prove bait bans have reduced CWD. Every state that has bait bans has increased CWD since the bans went into effect. That to me proves they really have no noticeable effect at reducing the transmission. Deer socialize and you aren't going to stop that by banning a bait pile. I've seen different deer eat off the same cob in a 160 acre field FFS!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
deer swap spit constantly

I have cameras in spots where every deer, of all sex and ages, stop and lick/nuzzle hanging branches. All year and many times a week.

https://community.legendarywhitetails.com/blog/answers-about-the-licking-branch/

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing enforcement with rancher/farmers is a political hot potato they aren't going to touch.

The "food plots" I saw in the Grassy Butte area to keep the elk herd close to home were very impressive. They almost looked like standard fields of corn! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't really paid any attention to the CWD issue other than what I have read in a few posts on here so I decided to read a few articles about it in the last couple of days.
I am not finding exactly what I am grasping on this thread as far as there is no science behind it so now I'm curious. Can someone post an article or two that can explain how a ban on baiting will not lower the risk of CWD spreading ?

think in terms of lowering a lake level one tablespoon at a time

deer naturally swap spit every day

1pk2po.jpg
Bait Ban ^^^^

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
QDMA or Quality Deer Management Association was started many years ago and they are all about raising the very best food plots. Special clovers, brassica etc. They had many themes about not only good for the deer, food plots are an asset to other wildlife and food plots are good for the land.

The National Deer Alliance was created around 2015 and they are totally against baiting. NDA desperately needed the food plot advocate QDMA as members so they compromised. Food plots are not on the menu of things to be banned.

Question by sportsmen, "why are food plots not baiting?" Answer by National Deer Alliance, "it's the five second rule, bait is on the ground, food plots are browse not touching the ground."

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.deerassociation.com/6-ways-food-plots-not-baiting/

Some people equate food plots to baiting and claim that if baiting is not allowed then food plots should be illegal too. This is flawed logic, which explains why not a single state outlaws the planting of wildlife food plots.
[h=2][/h][h=2]The five-second rule[/h][FONT=&quot]In food plots, deer tend to forage above the ground rather than right on it. This is a big deal from a health and disease standpoint. Many disease and parasite carriers live at ground level, and deer feeding off the ground, like at bait sites, are more susceptible to them. Conversely, when deer forage off plants well above the ground, they are far less likely to be afflicted with ailments.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Similarities exist in the livestock industry. Progressive farmers and ranchers who rotationally graze cattle can keep them feeding on only the upper portions of plants. The upper portions tend to be higher quality than the lower, but this also keeps their animals foraging well above the ground and away from most parasites and pathogens.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the food plot/bait site discussion, deer eat at ground level from bait sites and well above this in food plots, at least until the plots are eaten to the ground. Don’t underestimate the significance of this point, especially since bait sites can congregate large numbers of deer into a confined area. Anyone who has visited a well-used bait site knows the area is often littered with deer urine and feces. So, deer are eating from the ground, and food is often placed directly on top of urine and feces. I have a strong stomach, but you’re not going to catch me eating supper off the floor of our camp’s outhouse.[/FONT]

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question by sportsmen, "why are food plots not baiting?" Answer by National Deer Alliance, "it's the five second rule, bait is on the ground, food plots are browse not touching the ground." [/QUOTE]

So, if corn is placed above ground in a trough of some sort, what would that be considered? It's not on the ground.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question by sportsmen, "why are food plots not baiting?" Answer by National Deer Alliance, "it's the five second rule, bait is on the ground, food plots are browse not touching the ground."So, if corn is placed above ground in a trough of some sort, what would that be considered? It's not on the ground.
There we go, all we need are elevated feeders, problem solved no more CWD! ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63