Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question by sportsmen, "why are food plots not baiting?" Answer by National Deer Alliance, "it's the five second rule, bait is on the ground, food plots are browse not touching the ground."

So, if corn is placed above ground in a trough of some sort, what would that be considered? It's not on the ground.[/QUOTE]

That sounds way better than on the ground , And especially if you never let it go empty so they are licking for every last bit of dust.

feeder.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always been amazed at the way beans, corn, rye and other crops remain miraculously suspended above ground all season, while mother nature beats the stems and stalks to the ground.

and don’t get me started on the natural wonder of how brassica, radishes, turnips etc. emerge like cicadas and then hover just above the ground as if by magical spell

neature

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always been amazed at the way beans, corn, rye and other crops remain miraculously suspended above ground all season, while mother nature beats the stems and stalks to the ground.

and don’t get me started on the natural wonder of how brassica, radishes, turnips etc. emerge like cicadas and then hover just above the ground as if by magical spell

neature
How about those pesky acorns and apples that won't stay in the damn trees? Damn disease spreaders I tell ya!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just can't believe how stupid that entire argument is. A real jawdropper.

Also - I saw very little if any sign of deer (urine/droppings) by any of my broadcast feeders over the years.

I don't think deer like to crap or piss in their dining room like a cow will.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s an issue that divides hunters. I’m against any regulations that don’t make biological sense- and to usher this in under CWD is a complete joke. If you don’t like to bait, don’t. But don’t make everyone do it your way because you ride some sort of ethical high horse. It’s merely a social issue and CWD is the foot in the door. No different than LGBT or weed. If you give an inch, they’ll take a foot. Have any of you anti-baiters considered what they’re coming for next once this issue is in the rear view mirror?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should ban baiting, food plots, crp, shelterbelts, and any type of cover where deer may gather cause science...follow it:::

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
we need an eyeroll emoji

- - - Updated - - -

also - I know what game you're playing Fritz

You do realize I didn't write any of the below. It is a copy and paste from the National Deer Alliance>

https://www.deerassociation.com/6-wa...s-not-baiting/

Some people equate food plots to baiting and claim that if baiting is not allowed then food plots should be illegal too. This is flawed logic, which explains why not a single state outlaws the planting of wildlife food plots.
The five-second rule

In food plots, deer tend to forage above the ground rather than right on it. This is a big deal from a health and disease standpoint. Many disease and parasite carriers live at ground level, and deer feeding off the ground, like at bait sites, are more susceptible to them. Conversely, when deer forage off plants well above the ground, they are far less likely to be afflicted with ailments.
Similarities exist in the livestock industry. Progressive farmers and ranchers who rotationally graze cattle can keep them feeding on only the upper portions of plants. The upper portions tend to be higher quality than the lower, but this also keeps their animals foraging well above the ground and away from most parasites and pathogens.
In the food plot/bait site discussion, deer eat at ground level from bait sites and well above this in food plots, at least until the plots are eaten to the ground. Don’t underestimate the significance of this point, especially since bait sites can congregate large numbers of deer into a confined area. Anyone who has visited a well-used bait site knows the area is often littered with deer urine and feces. So, deer are eating from the ground, and food is often placed directly on top of urine and feces. I have a strong stomach, but you’re not going to catch me eating supper off the floor of our camp’s outhouse.

Anyone remember this:

IMP18.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tucker Carlson was on a roll last night. In Arkansas children who have gender issues can take hormone blocking drugs to chemically castrate themselves. The people drafted a Bill that adolescence will have to wait until they are 18 years of age. The Governor, Asa Hutchinson vetoed it.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...eto-of-bill-banning-sex-changes-for-kids.html

Tucker had the Gov on his program. The Gov made some good points like limited government shouldn't engage in these issues between a doctor his patient and parent. Tucker made excellent points that government restricts under age children from drinking, getting a tattoo or having sex before they are 18.

And then Governor Asa Hutchison said he is listening to the "experts" and that legislators are from different fields and shouldn't be involved in this matter.

The people in Arkansas drafted a Bill. They took it to their elected Representatives who passed it. The Gov vetoed it so the legislature voted to over ride his veto. The people make the laws, not the "experts".

The tail is always trying to wag the dog.

It is no different in this baiting ban war. The ND sportsmen have already defeated a baiting ban Bill about ten years ago. They have spoken. And yet, the "experts" at National Deer Alliance are not done. CWD is the hammer.

It's unfortunate that fishingbuddy is gone and with it all the archived threads. The ND baiting ban Bill had 55,000 views and much info.

The ND Chapter of the Wildlife Society brought in an "expert" from Michigan. He droned on for 30 minutes. When he was done he asked for questions. The Legislators never looked up or even asked him one. It was over right there.

Who was the lady in attendance at the Legislature who gave a play by play to fishingbuddy? Her screen name escapes me.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your post bleeds volumes of bias so I looked through the post for anti baiters and I didn't see anything that you speak of. Just bringing that to your attention.

The funny part was the analogy.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT : This message is for putz

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavily biased - we’ve had the opportunity to be part of 18 first time bow kills in the last 4 years and everyone of those harvests came over some form of bait. Alfalfa plots, sainfoin plots, molasses pellets, corn kernels - gasp - on the ground even .... The youngest huntress was 9 and the oldest was in her late 40’s. This fall I hope to get my 8 year old an opportunity. I like to think that these experiences have broadened the base of sportsmen and women and have brought more people into the sport. Growing our numbers by providing opportunities is what we should be worried about. That’s it. If baiting was killing the herd, I’d stop instantly. In the area where I currently hunt, we’ve altered the carrying capacity of the habitat by so much through our supplemental feeding, that we’d need the help of 50-60 additional tags per section of ground to avoid complete starvation of the herd. It would be awful to pull the plug on these critters “cold turkey”. The game and fish is clueless on these moves.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both thumbs up for that. Your bias analogy was my point .

- - - Updated - - -

Both thumbs up for that. Your analogy was my point .

If you don't want to be gay, Don't be gay

If you think CBD, hemp is not for you , Stay away from it.

You know where I am going with this right ?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No desire to haul grain/fruit to trail cams. No desire for trail cams. I "bait" a rock pile with a shitton of salt and a few deer mineral blocks in late spring. If I see a scrape I piss in it. I don't enjoy shooting "scared out of their mind" deer. And I won't. A "bait" site facilitates "surgical" marksmanship and peaceful surprise death. Deer are not goddamn rabbits. AGGRESSIVE deer drives are abhorrent but don't want them outlawed.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both thumbs up for that. Your bias analogy was my point .

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to be gay, Don't be gay

If you think CBD, hemp is not for you , Stay away from it.

You know where I am going with this right ?

Not wanting to be a cuck or a turd but we don't have it up here yet and we don't want it any more than you.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also, I won't hunt the first week of gun season. That's my deal. You can have yours in all aspects. I hope my post influences some thinking: "Long range bow hunting". Probably not: Still proud of the 1A.

Killed a good buck in '09. Enjoy shooting does. No bucks shot since '09 ('09 maybe 118--ground shrinkage). Will keep shooting does until 119 :).

- - - Updated - - -

Have a sacrificial buck tag wall. I wish I'd thought of this years ago as I can't fucking do it now. Yay me--retard.

- - - Updated - - -

Tack your turkey legs/beards to each unfilled tag.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Two issues for me:

ethics
disease

Ethics
It's in the eye of the beholder and i feel i have little control on that. I started hunting deer with rifle in 1959 and my last year was 1995.
As i look back over that time there have been many ethics issues that i have seen and been involve with myself. My thoughts have change a lot on that subject as i have age to finally in 95 i shot my last whitetail with a rifle. I now even question the ethics, with todays rifles and scopes, the shooting of deer during the rut. But to each their own and i will not question what you do or ask for rules to limit what you do.
One needs to police themselves as to ethics in their own mind. I cannot do that for you nor can Game and Fish with rules (they cannot watch everyone all the time). i ask the same of you. I will live with what i have done over the years and hopefully i have become more understanding of fair chase and respect for the wildlife. I will not force my views on you.

Disease:
I do not have the book learning for this nor am i a part of all the research on this.
I feel game and fish nor anyone has an understanding of what to do. Game and Fish will ban so it looks like they are doing something but have no idea if it will help. Shot in the dark.
I believe all common sense is missing. When the experts say plots are okay as deer do not eat off the ground with plots, the experts say lets kill all the deer in an area and then tell me the disease lives in the soil as a way to cure it, with a little common sense one knows none of this is right and the list can go on.

So i continue to call and contact those who have the say on this and i feel it is a lost cause but hopefully we can change the hunting guild on this before our governor signs it.

As for game and fish:
I hunted deer by walking by myself or with others. In 1995 after a day of walking a guy came with a pickup and a nice deer for the time in the back box. How you find him i ask? I was driving down the road, seen him running, drove up to him, got out of the vehicle and shot him.
For me and my brother we decided, at that time, we are done chasing deer. Like all living things the need for habitat, food and water. So we decided to do this and let the deer come to us. Had 1140 acres to work with. I told my brother i will check with game and fish to make sure this is legal and the hunting over bait. We both did discuss the ethics of this.
Call Bismarck and the person at game and fish said let me check with others in the office. Came back and said it was legal but maybe you heard all the laughing and i said i did not. Well, all of us here thing this is the biggest joke we every heard. They will come up at night, eat all your corn and you will never even see a deer, and then he laugh on the phone. My brother ask me what they said and i told him they think your a big joke as we proceeded with our plans. That was in 1995. Yea, it was a big joke alright. Wish i had gotten the name of that person.

I have experience this other times with the most recent the elk in the Turtle Mountains. I ask the game warden who manages the elk up there how many elk are up there and he said the last count was 300. A few weeks ago a couple of friends of mine, one afternoon, count over 550 at three spots south of the peace garden while they sat on a hill. A friend took a couple up in a plane and they counted over 900 on the south side of the border. Not easy to count but they felt these number were on the low side.
I have told game and fish there could be at least 1500 elk up there. I feel they will not listen to me so, like Medora, we will wake up with a problem. Then all the so called experts will come in and the first thing is to hire a sharp shooters to kill with the pretense to feed the people who are starving up here. Hell a hand full of those on this site have told me they are tire of me talking about this and to shut up.
Trust me there is a problem and if not, then i guess i was wrong.
But, please, take the time to come and look before you judge. db-2

- - - Updated - - -

But as an after thought, i will adapt and have made plans accordingly. db

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest joke I have ever heard out of the NDGF is banning deer urine. They are an absolute joke. And good morning !

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
When an entity is able to just make the use of deer urine illegal and nobody cares it is just a matter of time before more and more rules come into effect that will really suck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75