Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy put the fox urine on his boots 75 miles prior to getting to our hunting area. That’s was a horrible mistake

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should ban baiting, food plots, crp, shelterbelts, and any type of cover where deer may gather cause science...follow it:::
Its like attempting to make fish not swim in schools. Watch your social distancing there fellas!!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will concede it probably makes scientific sense that banning bait piles likely prevents a small % of the CWD spread. but, that's it. like has been said 100 times on this thread, the bulk of it comes from natural activity. considering how it continues to spread in state's where its been outlawed a long time, that's quite evident. with that information, there should be no doubt a certain "ethic" is pushing this behind the scenes.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Scott from game and fish just call me.

Said the banning of bait was done and signed back in February. Over and done with but i did put my two cents in and game and fish is doing what they feel best for the future of the deer as he stated. Stated ethics has noting to do with it. Not sure if we all knew about this until after the fact, at least i did not know.

So i will adapt to the new rules and have already laid out my plans for the future. Should lower my expenses by 1000 dollars this coming year but will maybe add that much in cost with the new plan. I feel the plan will provide me with the same results as i had before. Time will tell and being retire am looking forward to the new year.

I do not know what the answer is and i feel no ones knows the answer for sure but common sense is not used in a lot of decisions. Sometimes us hunters are our own worst enemy. We just cannot seem to get along.

Today spent 3 hours preparing one of my plots for the seeding of soybeans and now have 7 plots yet to go. May abandon one and concentrate on the others. Next week will order 150 evergreens to plant by hand from Towner Nursery along with some others. Will be planted on land i do not own but owners have given me ok to plant and given me ok to put stands up. One day someone will enjoy the joy of those trees and maybe a farmer will plow them down so his auto steer works with out using his hands except at the end of the field.

Guess i will need to get written ok from land owners for the camera and food plots instead of the oral one i have and just maybe, after many years, get a mule deer tag and muzzle loader. Still waiting on my 600 and 1400 stimulus monies and my first tax refund in many moons.

But due to dry condition they will cancel those seasons except for the land owners.
See, i told you we do not get along. db

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20210419-170354.jpgScreenshot_20210419-170354.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe this was covered in some other thread - but 2B is now a no baiting unit. Because of a single deer tested positive in MN (it was within the 25 mile trigger of unit 2B)

Science. :)

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy:
Unit 1 got it too.

Called game and fish yesterday, told me due to CWD.
Did asked if i put bait up for my cameras and later shed hunting if that is ok. He said yes. And maybe keeping deer on or by my plots. Maybe go back to the rifle tag.

If baiting is stop only when hunting over it to stop CWD and ok otherwise, how does that work?

Game and Fish does not know what to do nor does anyone else so let's do a bait banning only for hunting to stop this. It will then appear to the public they are doing something, and it does please the Anti baiters. Wild ass guess.

I really do believe this is not the answer and maybe the only answer is to let it runs its course, same as our virus. I understand it lives in the soil. I feel the ideal of keeping deer apart, as we all know, is not the answer nor is killing all the deer in an area which various game and fish have promoted and tried. I also feel my food plots along with some grain on the ground has help the wildlife.

And laws or rules concerning my ethics is not the way to improve on my ethics that you feel i should have.

For reason i have loss interest in killing deer but still love to see, take pictures of, find their sheds and hopefully help them survive the winter. Had 4 buck tags this year and only fill the one for hitting a deer with my Dodge and i did have a few in my sights, just did not pull the trigger. And that was fine with me. Got old. Still have some great memories with more to come yet.

For me the good old days of deer hunting was about 12-16 years ago when we had a ton of deer and others did not force their ways on me. But then game and fish gave out as many doe licenses as you wanted along with some winter issues. Sometimes i feel it will only get less. Started in 59 when there were no deer but no hunters either. Best of times in the past.

Got both my Red Ryder and model 25 Daisy from my youth in shooting order so now to the old horse barn, upstairs with the cats and sparrows and a ton of fun. Just wish the jackrabbits would return for my spotlight. db

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been "somewhat " vocal in the past about (baiting deer).
Nodak WAS ripe for spot n stalk hunting.
I really wish more people would taken advantage of it.
But instead, most placed bait piles.
Now, regarding the new trespass laws, those days are gone. Most have missed an unreal opportunity.
Bowhunting in Nodak is gonna go down...., WAY down.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buck:

Since 98 bow hunting has been my way of hunting, 24 years. Got 7 bucks with the bow since then.
For me it has been the best of times. Not sure for the younger generation. Have two grandchildren into bow hunting right now with 2 into target shooting 4-H. Two of my kids bow hunt. Two of the kid's spouses also bow hunt.

Have three units i bow hunt in and now two of them have no hunting over bait and i assume shortly the other unit will be the same if not the whole state.

Not my primary goal anymore to harvest and yes the hunt will change but will find a way to adapt to obtain the goals i have with the hunt.
For many, the bow hunt will be no more as i have know it. Been great to see the rise with bows in schools. Not sure how that will continue.

Hard to understand for me just what game and fish plans are for the future of the bow. When i ask them, they said there will be no deer if they allow baiting which others believe, mainly those who want me to adapt their ethics.
Are there any negative to the bait ban, i do not think game and fish even consider that or weights that out but they say we need to get the youth involve in order to preserve hunting for the future. For those of you who say there are ways to hunt without bait, yes but do you really think it will happen. I really doubt if i would have got involve without bait.

Game and fish with all their book learning and resources need to sit down and think this one out. db

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have much to add to this as I'm in SD. We've got CWD all over and don't allow baiting. It's coming or already here in most places. I do find it interesting how polarizing the baiting topic is. I'd go so far to say in SD it's seen as unethical by the majority of hunters. Now, can you argue a food plot is any different? But, across a state line the thought process is polar opposite. So wild to me.

The only argument I would say to the line that "our rights are getting stripped away" is this- I am more afraid of the perception of non-hunters than anything else in terms of stripping away rights. They're going to wield more power than all of us combined, and if they see bambi shot off a corn pile that can do a lot of harm in itself. Am I against it? I don't plan on doing it myself, but if it works for you whatever. Sportsman are sure good at circling the wagons and firing inwards sometimes. This seems like one of those issues. We fight each other while the anti's get loaded up with bambi propaganda and cause us more issues that we ever could have dreamed up on our own.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have much to add to this as I'm in SD. We've got CWD all over and don't allow baiting. It's coming or already here in most places. I do find it interesting how polarizing the baiting topic is. I'd go so far to say in SD it's seen as unethical by the majority of hunters. Now, can you argue a food plot is any different? But, across a state line the thought process is polar opposite. So wild to me.

The only argument I would say to the line that "our rights are getting stripped away" is this- I am more afraid of the perception of non-hunters than anything else in terms of stripping away rights. They're going to wield more power than all of us combined, and if they see bambi shot off a corn pile that can do a lot of harm in itself. Am I against it? I don't plan on doing it myself, but if it works for you whatever. Sportsman are sure good at circling the wagons and firing inwards sometimes. This seems like one of those issues. We fight each other while the anti's get loaded up with bambi propaganda and cause us more issues that we ever could have dreamed up on our own.

So if every state gets rid of baiting all the anti’s will just deem our outdoor activities as fair chase/no harm no foul and go take up a different cause? I don’t think so

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It may have been said before, but aren't food plots baiting. Can you plant food plots in these units?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think all these rules and studies are made up to justify their jobs. LB

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all about ethics and pushing them on everyone else. Has absolutely nothing at all to do with CWD, other diseases or wildlife in general. If it did they'd be pushing to ban all feeding of wildlife, stricter farming and ranching practices, etc. What really irritates me is the loss of a lot of practical hunting tactics. They are not just banning a corn pile.

As used herein, bait includes grain, seed, mineral, salt, fruit, vegetable nut, hay, any naturally derived scent or lure (e.g. urine), or natural or manufactured food placed by an individual.

Are scents like that banned in MN, SD or other states?

Why stop there, aren't water holes just as bad at spreading diseases, shouldn't hunting over those be banned as well? Where does it end??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74