Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The language has changed in the 2021-2022 CWD proclamation to include all of Unit 3A3. Keep in mind, no positive cases of CWD have been previously identified in this unit, although the Game and Fish biologist has stated that "cases have been identified in close proximity to the units northern boundary". Other units that border CWD positive units remain unrestricted however, even though cases have been identified in fairly close proximity to these bordering units.

The Game and Fish is clearly implementing a unregulated and non-scientifically based method of restricting hunting in a unit that has shown no present cases of the disease simply based on an "assumption that if it is in 3A1 and 3A2, that is is present in 3A3". The enactment of their policy in 3A3 is baseless and clearly inconsistent with the policies of banning hunting over bait in units that have been identified with the presence of CWD. In other words, they are just doing what they want to do, because they can.

If it is the policy of the Game and Fish to restrict hunting in neighboring units of CWD (such as the case of 3A3) then for the sake of consistency, shouldn't several more neighboring units have the ban implemented? Effectively this would include the whole western half of the state. Either that, or remove 3A3 from the CWD protocol until a case has been positively identified to be compliant with their own policy.

The new proclamation reads:

It is illegal to hunt big game over bait (see CWD proclamation for a list of bait items), or place bait to attract big game for the purpose of hunting, in deer units 3A1, 3A2, 3A3, 3A4, 3B1, 3C west of the Missouri River, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B, and 4C (2021 season)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could see this coming a mile away.

- - - Updated - - -

This gives stockmen and other caretakers of livestock a handy leg up on your average Joe. I saw it first hand hunting elk w my wife. Some pretty shady stuff going on w regards to baiting elk. :) er... I mean putting out a big round bale for the cows. Ha ha.

- - - Updated - - -

The scent/lure part really tops it. Unreal.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
wasn't 3a3 that way last year? db

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wait? Make baiting illegal over the whole state and get it over with. When CWD continues to get worse it will prove baiting had diddly shit to do with it. Their only other option then will be to completely decimate the whole herd.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, just the north half of 3A3, north of highway 2. Now it includes the whole unit nearly 80-90 miles south of where the CWD deer was identified.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baiting should be illegal state wide - be a lot less 150” bucks on ND bucks n bullshit Facebook if no baiting . Pretty sad what hunting in ND has come to . Corn piles and cameras

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
pigsticker;

Is all 3a4 close to baiting? db

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
pigsticker;

Is all 3a4 close to baiting? db

According to the verbage in their proclamation, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Baiting should be illegal state wide - be a lot less 150” bucks on ND bucks n bullshit Facebook if no baiting . Pretty sad what hunting in ND has come to . Corn piles and cameras

You're mad that there are a lot of 150"+ bucks being harvested in the state?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
D9B0AA70-0A7F-4DB2-8757-FF6677A3AEA7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

what’s the story with the partial ban on 3A3?

does a powerful lawmaker live on the south side?

- - - Updated - - -

And can deer not make it across the might MO in 3C?

#sciencebasedmanagement

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

cuz banning baiting will eliminate it right......

just like banning high capacity magazines and "assault weapons will cure "mass shootings"
where do you draw the line? is livescope okay? is rangefiding scopes and rifles capable of shooting 800 yard okay but putting bait down and shooting a deer at 20 yards with a bow not okay??
i would venture to guess every single one of us on this sight utilize technology to some form so if you live in a glass house........as they say

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW i could give two shits if they ban it or not. but be careful what you wish for is all i can say. ND is the last great place for freelance hunters

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
cuz banning baiting will eliminate it right......

just like banning high capacity magazines and "assault weapons will cure "mass shootings"
where do you draw the line? is livescope okay? is rangefiding scopes and rifles capable of shooting 800 yard okay but putting bait down and shooting a deer at 20 yards with a bow not okay??
i would venture to guess every single one of us on this sight utilize technology to some form so if you live in a glass house........as they say

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW i could give two shits if they ban it or not. but be careful what you wish for is all i can say. ND is the last great place for freelance hunters

Yep our rights are slowly being stripped away....:mad:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wait? Make baiting illegal over the whole state and get it over with. When CWD continues to get worse it will prove baiting had diddly shit to do with it. Their only other option then will be to completely decimate the whole herd.

Just look at Wyoming. They have already PROVEN baiting has nothing to do with the spread of CWD. They've had a full statewide bait ban on big game for over 25 years now and CWD has expanded in that state by 1.1 million acres per year. This info comes from their own state surveys. Thinking ND will be any different is IGNORANCE and IDIOCY at it's finest.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just look at Wyoming. They have already PROVEN baiting has nothing to do with the spread of CWD. They've had a full statewide bait ban on big game for over 25 years now and CWD has expanded in that state by 1.1 million acres per year. This info comes from their own state surveys. Thinking ND will be any different is IGNORANCE and IDIOCY at it's finest.

I talked to the biologist. They don't care about the models and facts about the spread of CWD within other states, refusing to acknowledge the rampant spread despite baiting bans that were implemented decades ago in those states.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m pretty sure it’s all about ego at this point. Since science doesn’t support it.

- - - Updated - - -

(power/control)

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty soon they’ll be piping King Nothing through the PA of their offices. So bizarre how old institutions are crumbling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55