Unit 3A3 is now "no hunting over bait"

Bubba

I'm apprehensive about the baiting ban. I am concerned that ND hunters will have to learn how to track and pattern animals. It is too much to expect hunters to identify food sources, bedding cover, watering holes, and travel routes. It is also unreasonable to expect us to create habitat improvements for our beloved Odocoileus Virginianus. We as North Dakotans just want to sit next to a corn pile. Come on game and fish! #legalizecorn

I rifle hunt 3A2 and bow hunt various places around the state and have never hunted over bait. I scout by watching deer activity either through binos prior to hunting or placing trail cameras over deer trails. I use rut activity and observed daily movement patterns to my favor. Shooting a big buck off of a corn pile is not for me. If you like to bait and it's legal in your area I see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, I'm so moved by your feelings Bubba. Thank you for being so brave and powerful. I can now leave my safe space due to your strength of character and emotional positivity. I feel refreshed!! Oh and you were AWESOME in Deliverance.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome to NDA Bubba. I see you signed up just for that post. You’re sarcasming like a NDA pro already. Nice.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm apprehensive about the baiting ban. I am concerned that ND hunters will have to learn how to track and pattern animals. It is too much to expect hunters to identify food sources, bedding cover, watering holes, and travel routes. It is also unreasonable to expect us to create habitat improvements for our beloved Odocoileus Virginianus. We as North Dakotans just want to sit next to a corn pile. Come on game and fish! #legalizecorn

Since your at it.Don't forget about those that are only in it for the experience and not the kill. :;:stirthepot :;:duel ;:;popcorn

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
So are they going to ban farming? Or hay bales? Take a drive around SE ND in the middle of winter. Almost any decent size hay pile or places where corn got spilled around a bin will be covered with deer. If it's about the "science" do they really think those winter herds of deer aren't going to spread it as well?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost every legislative session, Representative Ron Kind from Wisconsin introduces a huge package spending Bill to do something about CWD. Right now it's the Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act. H.R. 5608.

Text - H.R.5608 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

This Bill is for $70 million. It passed the House but I cannot find a companion Bill in the Senate. Not yet. The House version would split the money 50% to research and 50% to management. I have voiced my concern many times, all money to research. In Washington DC to get something you have to give something. The farmed deer and elk industry has been leading the charge on research forever. But they cannot drag a Bill like that over the finish line without other stakeholders such as USFWS and Game and Fish. Those agencies want money for monitoring. Or....Best Management Practices.

I read this article below and the orgs involved. Couldn't help but to think to myself, "those are some strange bedfellows."

Reps. Kind, Thompson Introduce the Bipartisan Chronic Wasting Disease Research and Management Act | Congressman Ron Kind (house.gov)

[h=1][/h]

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if every state gets rid of baiting all the anti’s will just deem our outdoor activities as fair chase/no harm no foul and go take up a different cause? I don’t think so

Absolutely not, the anti's fire is always going to be burning. But why give them more firewood to throw on it? If you can't see how perception of baiting causes this, there is no point in trying to explain it to you. I believe to best protect what we have, we have to be very cognizant of our actions and the perceptions of them by those outside of hunting. While our ethics as hunters may differ on some things, the ultimate question is if what we are doing hurts our cause more from the outside view looking in? It's my opinion, but bait (right or wrong) hurts the perception of hunters from the outside.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely not, the anti's fire is always going to be burning. But why give them more firewood to throw on it? If you can't see how perception of baiting causes this, there is no point in trying to explain it to you. I believe to best protect what we have, we have to be very cognizant of our actions and the perceptions of them by those outside of hunting. While our ethics as hunters may differ on some things, the ultimate question is if what we are doing hurts our cause more from the outside view looking in? It's my opinion, but bait (right or wrong) hurts the perception of hunters from the outside.

Fire is both a friend and a horrific foe. It's all about control. How do you know or not know if an anti group isn't a controlled opposition org?

I believe Senators Hoeven and Heinrich are going to carry the Senate version of the CWD Research and Management Act. $70 million.
Bills have been introduced before to fund research alone and have failed.

Text - S.1326 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Chronic Wasting Disease Research Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member

Optics matter but thinking making changes like this will appease those with negative connotations of our outdoor activities is in my opinion naive at best. Hunters and fishermen/women are, as a rule, greater stewards of the land and resources than the people you’re trying to appease will ever be. A big portion of my hunting has been in a unit that hasn’t allowed baiting in quite some time, so further regulations across more of the state will have little to no affect on my activities personally but that doesn’t really change my opinion much. Outdoors people would do well to stick together and protect our activities rather than divide up into factions and turn on each other while the anti’s stay strong together. In my eyes someone who dumps a half a grain shovel full of corn to stop an animal for a clean effective shot is no worse than someone who crows about their way being the “right way”. If there was scientific fact based in dumping that little bit of corn causing damage to populations by spreading disease more than food plots, water holes, or just populations yarding up in the winter time under normal farming practices than that’s a different conversation but the anti’s are going to look at your actions as murder whether you do it by spot and stalk, by studying normal travel patterns/bedding and feeding areas, or if you dump a half cup of corn under a tree. Make no mistake about that.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Optics matter but thinking making changes like this will appease those with negative connotations of our outdoor activities is in my opinion naive at best. Hunters and fishermen/women are, as a rule, greater stewards of the land and resources than the people you’re trying to appease will ever be. A big portion of my hunting has been in a unit that hasn’t allowed baiting in quite some time, so further regulations across more of the state will have little to no affect on my activities personally but that doesn’t really change my opinion much. Outdoors people would do well to stick together and protect our activities rather than divide up into factions and turn on each other while the anti’s stay strong together. In my eyes someone who dumps a half a grain shovel full of corn to stop an animal for a clean effective shot is no worse than someone who crows about their way being the “right way”. If there was scientific fact based in dumping that little bit of corn causing damage to populations by spreading disease more than food plots, water holes, or just populations yarding up in the winter time under normal farming practices than that’s a different conversation but the anti’s are going to look at your actions as murder whether you do it by spot and stalk, by studying normal travel patterns/bedding and feeding areas, or if you dump a half cup of corn under a tree. Make no mistake about that.

It may be naive, but put a focus group in front of a tv and show them two videos. First is a deer getting killed over a pile of corn. Second is a deer getting killed in a cut corn field. Deer are dead either way, but the optics of one will elicit a far stronger response than the other. It’s really that simple. I don’t care if baiting is done, but if thinking sportsman will unite on this topic is also naive. We are stewards of wildlife and fair chase is one pillar that is hard for antis to argue. You can talk technology and the advantages it gives, but I don’t believe a rifle that shoots a gnats ass at 600 yards and a corn pile are viewed the same from the outside, and that is key. Do they both allow for a clean kill? Yes, but it sure doesn’t look that way from the outside, and that’s what matters.

I appreciate the good civil discussion on this. Good to see on the site which so often anymore doesn’t see that. Thanks Twitch.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the civil discourse point being made. If that were being used in this country, hell in this world we’d be far better off. I do think though it’s going to be hard to get an anti, who often thinks we all should be vegan or should be eating the meat from the grocery store “where no animals get hurt” to reason with our way of keeping ecosystems healthy whether someone dumps a little corn or not. Good discussion either way

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i saw that too and sent it too a couple buddies. Oh im sure the bait ban will be the big focus because you know its sooooo effective at reducing the spread of CWD. i like how the GF parades around talking about how they have more positive tests well id bet a large sum of money the tests SIGNIFICANTLY more deer every year and would also bet the positivity rate is unchanged.....or less
you know like ANS how they were stocking lakes with contaminated water yet blame the public.......

- - - Updated - - -

that would be my first question dont give me the number of positives show me really how many more % wise are testing positive than 15 years ago i again bet its unchanged

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rumor is a lot of it will be about the bait ban specifically in 2b lots of folks upset about it . Could get over turned is what I’m hearing from folks in the know

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL. Wealthy Red River valley ag money talks.

- - - Updated - - -

"money" = politically well connected

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that’s right - the CWD that triggered the ban occurred in MN across the Red River if I recall correctly

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, if they reverse a ban in 2B, that would suggest a LOT of other unit bait bans would also have to be on the table. I don't recall a positive test coming from 3C, or even 3E2. Yet both those units are under a ban. Not implementing a bait ban in along the border would be an interesting precedent using some strange interpretation of the rules based on positive not being in a ND deer unit, or some failed logic of the river serves as a barrier.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74