Camping Reservation Systems & crazy demand

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of camping reservation systems have you experienced in other states? The SD system allows reservations 90 days in advance, but you can book up to 10 days after the first available day. What we're seeing is if you want to go on a weekend, you have to book starting Tuesday night thru Saturday to have a chance at a spot, even if you are only staying Friday & Saturday. This has been an issue but is only getting worse as COVID camping demand increased. So, you have empty but reserved spots sitting from Tuesday till Friday night. Works well for the state, but makes it tough to get a site. I don't mind paying an extra night, but I don't see the point in paying for 5 nights to stay 2. This burns up sites in the week for people too.

In Colorado campgrounds I've been to, you have to occupy first night of your reservation or you lose it all. I'm curious what other states have as well. Are you experiencing demand like this in ND? It's beginning to take the fun out of it for me, it's a race to get a spot for every weekend we are trying to camp for.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Yes some places like Beaver Bay are almost booked for the year as soon as they open up reservations. The state parks used to hold a certain number of spots for first come first served but not sure they even do this anymore with the demand now. We used to go to Sak. state parks in September and have the whole place to our selves now it's 3/4 full. It's a Good time to be in the R.V. business. lol

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Forest Service campground out west are filled also. My wife and I are going to do more boondocks this year. I took the small (26 ft) travel trailer in and had the battery compartment enlarged for two V-Mag AGMs, put in 2200 water inverter, and picked up a 200 wat solar panel. I may be light on the solar panel. We have 44 gal fresh water, but I put 32 gallon in the truck bed with a pump. I hope I can do a week without moving. All three holding tanks are 30 gallon. I guess I'll find out soon.

I wanted to take the 5th wheel and boat to Grahams Island in June, but I think I am to late already.

[

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pick city is 90 days, but like stated people just book a week early and pay for several days of it sitting empty.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We like the sites with sewer, as we usually go 10 to 24 days at a time. I agree, making reservations suck. ;:;banghead If your not making that reservation in 94 days 23 hours and 59 minuets when the 95 day window starts your not getting a spot. Lots of sites sit empty for most of the time as people reserve a site starting Monday or Tuesday and don't show up until Friday after work. They need to make it if you reserve a site you need to be there at least sleeping every night. I doubt they do that though, as its less water and electricity the park has to pay for.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having a camper for 5 years we finally got smart and found a seasonal spot. I didn't think I would like it since we liked going to different lakes and liked camping in groups at New Johns, but it was surprisingly fun and the best year of camping we had. It was a lot easier to get out since the camper was always set up and ready to go. Now we are in the hunt to find our own lot somewhere.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of camping reservation systems have you experienced in other states? The SD system allows reservations 90 days in advance, but you can book up to 10 days after the first available day. What we're seeing is if you want to go on a weekend, you have to book starting Tuesday night thru Saturday to have a chance at a spot, even if you are only staying Friday & Saturday. This has been an issue but is only getting worse as COVID camping demand increased. So, you have empty but reserved spots sitting from Tuesday till Friday night. Works well for the state, but makes it tough to get a site. I don't mind paying an extra night, but I don't see the point in paying for 5 nights to stay 2. This burns up sites in the week for people too.

In Colorado campgrounds I've been to, you have to occupy first night of your reservation or you lose it all. I'm curious what other states have as well. Are you experiencing demand like this in ND? It's beginning to take the fun out of it for me, it's a race to get a spot for every weekend we are trying to camp for.

Indian Creek in Mobridge is the classic example. I went on 90 days out from the Wed. night before Memorial day. I wanted a certain pad, one right by the water. I was 1 or 2 days late. I should have known the best pads you have to pay for all 14 days. You gotta know math to get the spot you want. If you just want a spot anywhere in the park then you'll be fine just arriving the day you plan to camp. But you better reserve 90 days out if its a popular weekend. 4TH OF JULY Mobridge is INSANE. If you want the good spots in the shade and in the older part of the campground, then be willing to pay for 14 days. You can stay or reserve 14 days. So go back 90 days from the start date of the 1st day of the 14 days if you want the best pads, and PAY 14 DAYS. I learned the hard way through the years. Just drive through Indian Creek a week before the 4th of July, ALL the sites will have paid for tickets on the post, 90% will be empty.

Oh and the Colorado trick won't really work at Indian Creek IMO. I'd just go down an pull my camper out to the pad on day one. Most of the pads are being taken by people not too far away, I'm guessing they'd do the same thing. I don't think the state really gives a shit, they're selling pads and no one is using any watts. Win win for them.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would day most of the weekends are totally booked at Indian Creek. I got lucky and last week was checking for June 12th Weekend. There were 3 pads left open in the whole park. That's the fishing tournament weekend. Long story short, if you want to use your camper.......PLAN AHEAD

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ha, this is all child’s play. Spots on the K Penn up here in AK such as Russian River and the couple campgrounds within 10 miles are available to book exactly 6 months in advance at 6 am. Sockeye season on the Kenai opens June 11th. If you want a camping spot June 11th, you can book December 11th at 6am. There are 85 sites at the Russian River and you can book 3 days at a time. You gotta have the site you want lined up to book on the screen with your hand on the mouse and clock open on your phone. If you click at 05:59:59 then it times out and you don’t get a spot. If you click at 06:00:00 you MIGHT get a spot. If you click at 06:00:01 no chance in getting a spot. It’s like that for booking in all of June and most of July.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently I reserved a ND State Park site for this summer so I was on my computer at opening time and I had a list of about 30 acceptable sites. I was shocked to see that only 1 of the sites I wanted was available (unreserved) and even more shocked that it was one of my top choices. Since you are under the gun, I took it and reserved it. After the dust settled, I started second guessing my decision and am wondering what the hell is wrong with the site I got because it was available. :)

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the average price people are paying for camping sights with electric and water hook-ups? Just out of curiosity? Obviously location matters, but something that is convenient and close to the lake, not necessarily "on" the water.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the average price people are paying for camping sights with electric and water hook-ups? Just out of curiosity? Obviously location matters, but something that is convenient and close to the lake, not necessarily "on" the water.

$25 per night for ND State Parks

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
$18 in SD I think....Indian Creek State Park anyway. They may differ as the ones in the Black Hills like Custer State Park has a different booking rule.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, this is all child’s play. Spots on the K Penn up here in AK such as Russian River and the couple campgrounds within 10 miles are available to book exactly 6 months in advance at 6 am. Sockeye season on the Kenai opens June 11th. If you want a camping spot June 11th, you can book December 11th at 6am. There are 85 sites at the Russian River and you can book 3 days at a time. You gotta have the site you want lined up to book on the screen with your hand on the mouse and clock open on your phone. If you click at 05:59:59 then it times out and you don’t get a spot. If you click at 06:00:00 you MIGHT get a spot. If you click at 06:00:01 no chance in getting a spot. It’s like that for booking in all of June and most of July.

I did the same thing to get the pad I wanted for the 4th of July in Mobridge. If you want the one of the ones right by the water be one and click right at 7am, AND book 14 days out!! I checked right after I booked and sure enough the good pads were taken all that first 10 minutes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76