Upgrade with NEW Electronics.??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he truly is a tightwad...

Have him get a Terrova or Ulterra 112 with LINK. 112lb at least 60 inch shaft. Pair it with a Helix 9, 10, or 12 up front ethernetted to another at the console. That is the only way to follow contours.

He could add a Lowrance Live 9 to console for other mapping options and their 2d is still hard to beat.

If not a tightwad same motor above and 2 APEX 15s, 2 Lowrance live 12s.

Lowrance and Garmin both have trolling motors out now; but shaft length is limited to the bass boat world. They will not be the best option for any deep V including a 620 Ranger that sits nice and low in the water. Motorguide has no regional repair support so I would rule them out.

Thanks Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!! Much Appreciated!!

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly rarely use the contour follow option. It is only as good as the mapping; which is never super accurate. I also have difficulty when I lack "control" of the boat and prefer to have the remote in my hand nearly all of the time.

I run 2 Helix and 2 Live 9s. I love the combo overall. Lowrance has great mapping for DL and best side imaging. Lowrance has the 2d and mapping for some lakes. DI is a toss up. These are just my opinion.

I've been using the directional heading to keep up straight while running cranks. I keep remote around my neck and am constantly tweeking the heading. It works pretty well and 3 guys can tend to 6 cranking rods with 2 planner boards much easier. But sometimes I don't see the upcoming contour shift and we run to shallow or deep which takes valuable time our baits aren't in the zone. Or even worse one gets hung up if we run to shallow. And I'm usually the guy in charge of steering.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76