Following contours with TM

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there more pairings than the Hummingbird/Minnkota combo that can do it now?

Also - how well does it actually work? Can you follow contours slowly so you can pitch a section? Or is this only a "trolling" system because the boat needs to track fairly decent?

Reason I ask is because the make your own trail then follow it technique seems to suck with my because the wind blows the stern around and the system needs to "crab" it's way along the contour if not going 2-3 MPH.

I've basically given up on making trails and following them (XI5).

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no input on Bird/ Minnkota

But I can tell you about my Lowrance/ Motorguide experience. I spent the time/money and "attempted" to link my Xi5 and Elite 9TI. What an abortion. Path following is spotty at best. Cruise control is laughable. The only thing I'm satisfied with is "Go to Waypoint".

Steer clear of this marriage.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
THANKS The info and input I'm looking For!!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think all these gadgets were designed by bass fisherman fishing in the bayous that seldom see a breath of wind! ;:;boozer

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I will try and give my .02. I have a 2018ish terrova with link (silver sides and external gps puck) and a similar era humminbird helix on a 2018 skeeter 1910. I never use the record a track, but I do use follow the contour when I have a spot to myself. Overall it works pretty good, I use it pulling spinners at 1.3-1.5 mph fairly often. Obviously the faster you go and the less wind, the better it works. This 1910 also tracks pretty straight and doesn't get blown around as easily as other boats I've owned so I am sure that plays a big part too. Also, I am running a 112lb., so there is no shortage of power.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no input on Bird/ Minnkota

But I can tell you about my Lowrance/ Motorguide experience. I spent the time/money and "attempted" to link my Xi5 and Elite 9TI. What an abortion. Path following is spotty at best. Cruise control is laughable. The only thing I'm satisfied with is "Go to Waypoint".

Steer clear of this marriage.

Same. Lowrance/XI5 combo Goto, spot lock and jog function work quite well.

following anything blows

if I want to slowly work a shoreline I jog along it.... which works but still blows

one benefit though is that when I get busy with a fish or retying I'm paused right where I left off

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77