Minnow trap theif!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
are minnows hard to come by these days?
I go to the market, and for 3 bucks they load me up.
Its like trying to put a cab on your Polaris ranger after market style to save 38 bucks.

My wife can make a mean sammich, but I guess I should mill my own flower and milk a cow for that creamy butter...

... if I had your money I would take fancy spelling lessons and keep a milk maid around...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ehh, someone above said it. It's not about the minnows, or the cost of the trap, it's that someone wrecked what was a good time, and a memory, for a family.

I can afford minnows too. Shoot, for that matter, it's also far cheaper to buy fish at the grocery store, but I like to fish.

I had a POS tape deck stolen out of my first car (1978 Buick Skyhawk) and the loss of the tape deck wasn't as bad as the anger that someone took what's not theirs.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ehh, someone above said it. It's not about the minnows, or the cost of the trap, it's that someone wrecked what was a good time, and a memory, for a family.

I can afford minnows too. Shoot, for that matter, it's also far cheaper to buy fish at the grocery store, but I like to fish.

I had a POS tape deck stolen out of my first car (1978 Buick Skyhawk) and the loss of the tape deck wasn't as bad as the anger that someone took what's not theirs.
They did you a favor man....

Just kidding, I had a box of cassettes stolen out of my vehicle 30 years ago too, fricken pissed, however they did leave my Vuarnet sunglasses on the dash.

- - - Updated - - -

... if I had your money I would take fancy spelling lessons and keep a milk maid around...

I dont me no have money, but I do see your thinken is good

Bob

Again I don't like to post anymore because of the naysayers! My son, Sig357 and my granddaughter will still be trapping minnows but in a less busy area. If we don't teach our young how to do things of such they grow up depending on someone else to do things for them. I don't care if they ever use the knowledge I can teach them but at least they know how and what a lot of us had to do to enjoy or survive in the days when things were not that available. We butcher our game that we hunt or catch, garden, canning, repair what we can. I share my knowledge with anyone who is willing to learn. I also say I am still learning at 64 years young. When young ears listen it means they are learning more than just skills but the how to and why it is done that way. My father taught me to always ask yourself the one word, why! Why is it broke, why is it done that way, etc. and when you figure out why you have the capability to see beyond. Ok, I've gone on way to much but bottom line is go buy what you want, live your life the way you want and we will continue to teach our children and grandchildren the way we see fit. Tight lines to you all.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
are minnows hard to come by these days?
I go to the market, and for 3 bucks they load me up.
Its like trying to put a cab on your Polaris ranger after market style to save 38 bucks.

My wife can make a mean sammich, but I guess I should mill my own flower and milk a cow for that creamy butter...

It all depends on where you live. I know the nearest bait is 15 miles one way from my door. AND the bait I trap is much better.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did you a favor man....

Just kidding, I had a box of cassettes stolen out of my vehicle 30 years ago too, fricken pissed, however they did leave my Vuarnet sunglasses on the dash.

Vuarnet!!?? I knew it! I KNEW IT. You have the gay really bad. The criminals must have been straight.

Don't tell me, you shopped at the United Colors of Bennetton too?

Wore 6 Izod polo shirts, with all the collars popped, and a conch-colored sweater draped over your slender frame.

hahaha!!!

All kidding aside, yeah, the tape deck was worth about $30, but it pissed me off that someone was in my car, ripping away at the dash.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bob:
Hope to take some grand kids out to a pasture this summer with some twine to teach them how to rope a gopher.
Will be fun as they have already told me one cannot rope a gopher with twine.

Use to cut the tails off, let them go and collect 25 cents for each tail.
They got wise and wanted a back leg. i am sure you know the rest of that story.
db2

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bob:
Hope to take some grand kids out to a pasture this summer with some twine to teach them how to rope a gopher.
Will be fun as they have already told me one cannot rope a gopher with twine.

Use to cut the tails off, let them go and collect 25 cents for each tail.
They got wise and wanted a back leg. i am sure you know the rest of that story.
db2

25 cents for a gopher tail! you were shittin' in high cotton.

We got 2 cents each when i was a kid.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
sig, I see you are across the river in Mandan.

If you ever need a place to throw a trap east of the Missouri for your daughter, I have just the place for her.

Allen I may take you up on that. I am currently on night right now but maybe this weekend if you are around. PM some info and I will shoot you back mine.

- - - Updated - - -

The beauty of bread as bait is that it catches minnows just fine, and there will be no bread to speak of in the morning.

The beauty of dry dog food is that it lasts for days in the trap, the downside is that it lasts for days in the trap and kind of annoys me when it's in my minnow bucket.

Allen I may take you up on this. Please pm me what would work for you. I am currently working night this week but will be available this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Does your daughter like to fish? What other interests does she have? I’d like to put together a care package for her that will help her forget this useless piece of shit thief. PM me.

Skeeter I do appreciate the offer and you obviously are a cut above the rest, not saying the rest of you all bad apples. My daughter does like to go fishing and pretty much likes anything outdoors. Took her bowhunting she just tagged alone with me but she enjoyed watching the deer in their habitat doing what deer do. I do appreciate the offer of a care package but just like most of you all I suffer from T.M.S. (too much Stuff). But when I head up to Beulah bay this summer to chase some walleyes maybe we can meet up and we can herd em to each other. I appreciate all the positive responses and do plan on getting a hold of Allen and dropping in the minnow trap again. We did leave it over night and managed to catch a water beetle haha. Kid thought it was cool anyways.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I share my knowledge with anyone who is willing to learn.
Even those who don't listen, you still share your gift of gab Bob haha just joking good luck with the minnow wrangling guys!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Werewolfone:

It was in the late 1950 which was over 60 years for me and as remember it being 25 cents from the township but have trouble today remembering names so maybe not.
But i do remember the first gopher. The stripe ones were not as smart as the brown ones or so it seem. So this stripe goes down the hole and i put my twine down. He first came up a hole next to the one he went down. We look at each other and he went down again but shortly came up the hole with my twine. I pull the twine so hard he came out flying over the top of me and landed by my feet. Got up and ran along side me back to the same hole. But i learn. db

Bob

UPDATE! So I'm out fishing today and not much happening for me. Decided to go into where I had lost the minnow trap because there is a deep hole in there. Set the trolling motor on anchor, drop a line down one side and go to put one in on the other side and I look up on shore and there is my minnow trap!!! WTF?? Trap is about 100 yards from where I had set it, opened and the cable laying along side of it! It's a least 3' up from the water line so there is no way it could have drifted there plus with the cable laying along side of it. Apparently they know who we are and felt guilty or a member on here and decided to throw it on shore to get rid of it???? I don't know! Whatever, It's going somewhere else now!

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad you got the trap back. Do you think there is a chance someone thought it was an illegal fish trap and removed it. I'd print up a laminated ID tag for it with the girls picture on it, that would make someone think twice.

Bob

Wheat Wacker, Not sure what the motive was for returning it but hopefully we installed some honesty into them. I have some brass tags that I plan on putting one on it. Thanks.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muskrat? Beaver? Coon?
No, we had it tied pretty securely to a tree root that was right above water but the root went back into the sand below the water. You could see where the culprit broke the root trying to get it free. No teeth marks were visible on the tree itself. Not to mention we walked and drove both sides of the banks down multiple times and never seen it when we went to check it. But then almost a week later it appears in the wide open. Someone did take it. I do want to say thanks to who ever brought it back and we will be putting it out this weekend if the plans all work out.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone read these posts and witnessed what people think of thieves (esp involving children) and got a guilty conscience methinks, glad it worked out in the end. Bob, you should come back to post more often.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No, we had it tied pretty securely to a tree root that was right above water but the root went back into the sand below the water. You could see where the culprit broke the root trying to get it free. No teeth marks were visible on the tree itself. Not to mention we walked and drove both sides of the banks down multiple times and never seen it when we went to check it. But then almost a week later it appears in the wide open. Someone did take it. I do want to say thanks to who ever brought it back and we will be putting it out this weekend if the plans all work out.
Must have caught all the minnows they needed or someone dad caught them pulling this shit. LB

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
YuP someone's Dad came through. Sounded like stupid kids to begin with.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75