Minnow trap theif!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
BigFoot took it and ate the minnows. Ate them while walking along the bank, when he ate all the minnows ,he dropped the trap and continued on his way.
LT. Columbo at your service!

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update. I ended up talking to Allen and he was nice enough to invite us out to his place to put out a minnow trap on his property. He took some time to show us around his property and walked us over to where we should set up the minnow trap. After the trap was set we walked back to his house. We talked fishing for a while and about just general life stuff. Seemed like we had done this all before. I know my daughter was happy to have an area to set out a trap where it would be safe. She ended up thanking Allen and we went on our way so he could go fishing. We decided to come back the next day. I ended up bringing my 2 year old with also this time and low and behold we had some minnows. My daughter was happy(and cold) and my little guy is a man of few words but "wow" was repeated about 15 times as we walked back to the truck with out catch. Allen all I have to say is you are a great guy to let some absolute strangers out to your property. You are cut above the rest in my opinion and you made two kids smile as well as a couple of adults. Thank you for the memory and pleasantries. I look forward to the time when our paths cross again. Here is a pic of the kiddos and Allen's minnows :;:thumbsup
20210411_170552.jpg

20210411_170425.jpg

20210411_170532.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice, glad you got a chance to show the kids there are still good people in this world.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pleasure sig357, glad you all caught a few minnows. They should get even easier to catch as the pond shrinks this summer, so stop on out anytime!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bob:
Hope to take some grand kids out to a pasture this summer with some twine to teach them how to rope a gopher.
Will be fun as they have already told me one cannot rope a gopher with twine.

Use to cut the tails off, let them go and collect 25 cents for each tail.
They got wise and wanted a back leg. i am sure you know the rest of that story.
db2[/QUO

A fishing rod with a dare devil tied to the line. But it on the opposite of the hole and when the gopher comes up set the hook. You just reel them in

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to hear this had a happy ending. Its nice to hear a story with a positive side to it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the small round 10 buck Frabil trap. Then I tie a 25’ decoy line to it.
I put dry dog food into a sandwich baggie, poke holes in it with a fork, throw it in the trap.
I do a windmill type of toss into the slough, tent stake, tie the rope to a rock, or fence post on shore.
Nobody will see the decoy line or the trap, and it’ll be loaded.
Two days of trapping and I have weeks of worth.
Not sure if everyone knows this, but your allowed to posses 144 per person.

144 traps or minnows?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bob:
Hope to take some grand kids out to a pasture this summer with some twine to teach them how to rope a gopher.
Will be fun as they have already told me one cannot rope a gopher with twine.

Use to cut the tails off, let them go and collect 25 cents for each tail.
They got wise and wanted a back leg. i am sure you know the rest of that story.
db2[/QUO

A fishing rod with a dare devil tied to the line. But it on the opposite of the hole and when the gopher comes up set the hook. You just reel them in

Can't say I've ever used twine, but you sure can easily catch gophers with monofilament. Did that a lot as a kid when the fish weren't biting. Put a loop of mono around a hole, when it pokes his head up, snatch the mono and you have a gopher on a leash.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I've ever used twine, but you sure can easily catch gophers with monofilament. Did that a lot as a kid when the fish weren't biting. Put a loop of mono around a hole, when it pokes his head up, snatch the mono and you have a gopher on a leash.

I saw a live muskrat on a floating rapala once. That cured me of any desire to handle pre-ventilated rodents of any sort.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
While we're on the topic of things you DON'T want on the end of a fishing rod. My dad and a friend of his were fishing in Ont. on Lac Seul and dad't buddy hooks into a Loon on a pink jig/Minnow. Had there been video, it would've gone viral.

And of course the Pelican on the purple descent shad-rap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing back in the 90s at Channel A allowed me to see what happens when a tern gets caught on a Rapala. The poor bastard that caught the bird looked like he was going to be killed by all the terns friends. It was even worse than what Hitchcock dreamt up decades ago.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pleasure sig357, glad you all caught a few minnows. They should get even easier to catch as the pond shrinks this summer, so stop on out anytime!

Awesome pond. Is it natural or man made and deep enough to winter fish ?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hold the "if's" in the same regard as the Clinton "is" cult; both have dubious ethics and wouldn't appreciate a 300 dollar pawn shop bear gun or a hacksaw: Probably queers.

- - - Updated - - -

"Theif" makes me cringe every time I log on. Sorry and that is all.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome pond. Is it natural or man made and deep enough to winter fish ?

It's man made. It's also marginal when it comes to keeping fish around. The previous owner had it stocked with rainbows and bluegill so he could teach the local youth to fly fish, also had some LM bass in it. Nonetheless, at only 16 ft deep and dependent on annual runoff, it suffers winterkill like nobodies business.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75