Medora fire

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Many grass rigs have burned up when you drive on the grass. Always drive on the burned side of the fire. the wind can switch and your still safe. There is no call for them to be that close to the fire.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was the original estimate but they said 3500 a day later. Unless the USFS changed it again.
my information came from family involved with the fire. You might have a more reliable source. If I’m wrong I’ll have to buy you a case of blue num nums to make up for the false information
I was just repeating what my wife said. She works for national park services. Who knows lol. That would be close to 15 sq miles. That an awful lot. 3500 would seem more likely

rapala_09

Honored Member
Many grass rigs have burned up when you drive on the grass. Always drive on the burned side of the fire. the wind can switch and your still safe. There is no call for them to be that close to the fire.

Our fire fighters will be much more effective with this information. Thank you for all your contributions and the training you've provided.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member

When I watched the video, I immediately saw that right away that they were not driving on the black ground, which is what we train on. The first time I saw how fast fire jumped 15-20 feet is flash, it was like "holy $hit batman". A few years ago, a department in the area lost a grass rig because they were on not on the black and the fire was drawing in most of the oxygen, starving the motor of air for the motor to run, causing everything to shut down. BAM....up in flames it went.

My safety tip for the day is that if you have a few 5 gallon buckets with lids laying around. Fill them up with some high quality H2O and keep them in the back of your pickups until things green up. It's amazing what a guy can do with water and a 2.5-3 gallon pump sprayer.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every straight man that's been dragged to the musical: "i wouldn't be mad if it burned down the amphitheater"

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I watched the video, I immediately saw that right away that they were not driving on the black ground, which is what we train on. The first time I saw how fast fire jumped 15-20 feet is flash, it was like "holy $hit batman". A few years ago, a department in the area lost a grass rig because they were on not on the black and the fire was drawing in most of the oxygen, starving the motor of air for the motor to run, causing everything to shut down. BAM....up in flames it went.

My safety tip for the day is that if you have a few 5 gallon buckets with lids laying around. Fill them up with some high quality H2O and keep them in the back of your pickups until things green up. It's amazing what a guy can do with water and a 2.5-3 gallon pump sprayer.

growing up in the badlands we had buckets with wet gunny sacks in every pickup and would put extras on the edge of the hayfields just in case. Rural FD weren’t a thing yet then. A wet gunny sack tied to a shovel handle and drug over a fire edge will do an amazing job of preventing a disaster.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago, a department in the area lost a grass rig because they were on not on the black and the fire was drawing in most of the oxygen, starving the motor of air for the motor to run, causing everything to shut down. BAM....up in flames it went.

I wouldn't have thought of the O2 starvation though it makes a lot of sense, good tip!

Without some rain and greening up, I don't see myself off of pavement/gravel anytime soon. I don't do much "off-roading" anyway and certainly don't have anything important enough going on to risk being "that-guy" who started a prairie fire.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every straight man that's been dragged to the musical: "i wouldn't be mad if it burned down the amphitheater"
You mean not every guy like to watch men of questionable sexual orientation dance and sing on the stage?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean not every guy like to watch men of questionable sexual orientation dance and sing on the stage?
I live 30 miles from it, thus I am in attendance of the very description you are stating here 2-3 times a season. Every darn family member that comes to visit wants to go to the musical.. Its to the point I am questioning my own sexual orientation...haha

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live 30 miles from it, thus I am in attendance of the very description you are stating here 2-3 times a season. Every darn family member that comes to visit wants to go to the musical.. Its to the point I am questioning my own sexual orientation...haha
Doesn’t Mrs Johnr remind you of your sexual orientation enough??

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't have thought of the O2 starvation though it makes a lot of sense, good tip!

Without some rain and greening up, I don't see myself off of pavement/gravel anytime soon. I don't do much "off-roading" anyway and certainly don't have anything important enough going on to risk being "that-guy" who started a prairie fire.

right - who woulda thunk it

then again - you'd think the air that's been wrung free of oxygen would be hot and had risen - with incoming air to replace (and be consumed by the fire) would be the cooler air at the normal 20% oxygen

the drive should have passed out too?

must have been a unique circumstance - low O2 would slow or extinguish the fire itself

I wonder if wildfire personnel ever pass out from low oxygen?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeesh!

https://wildfiretoday.com/2008/04/14/injured-firefighters-become-teachers/

https://wildfiretoday.com/tag/oxygen/

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The fire retardant brooms really work good. You just walk along the fire and sweep it out.

I have put out many grass fires with a broom.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I think flaming hills amphitheater would be more appropriate.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
But isn't it called the Burning Hills Amphitheater?

I believe it was in reference to the once numerous burning coal veins.

Probably shoulda been named The Smoldering Hills Amphitheater.

The musical is something I remember as a kid back in the early 70s, nowadays I make it out there once in a while and still enjoy watching the gals dance and some of the acrobatics.

So you guys are telling me that you ignored the attractive women and concentrate more on the dudes? Interesting...

- - - Updated - - -

must have been a unique circumstance - low O2 would slow or extinguish the fire itself

/

In talking with a gal out by Glacier a while back, she actually described a fire that they "funneled" into a trap that removed O2 from it. That's the first time I had heard of such a thing, but I am also not a fire putter outter expert.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have been many instances of vehicles quitting when fast moving fire fronts, smoke, and heat get close. I believe the smoke has more to do with it than anything but can't say for sure. A guy near my age from another town was killed in a burnover in southern South Dakota after the rig they were in quit running as the fire blew into the drainage they were trying to escape.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG952394.jpg

A friend of mine in S.D. sent me this. His Dad was trying to make a fire break and the tractor died out. His Dad jumped out and ran thru the fire. That is what saved his life. I believe if he would have tried to run away from the fire he would not have made it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69