Optimax Issues

GET THE NET

Any Optimax Gurus on here?
I have a 2006 200 HP Optimax. Less than 250 hours on it.
On Saturday I got the boat in the water for the 1st time this year. I did start it in the yard a couple weeks ago with the muffs and it started right up and idled fine. Put the boat in Saturday and it started right up again. Idled great will I waited for my partner to park the truck. We weren't fishing far from the ramp so I didn't open it up and get up on plane. We fished for a while then decided to go up river. Started the motor and pushed the throttle and it wouldn't get out of hole. It wouldn't get above 2500 RPM. Wasn't sputtering or anything, it just seemed bogged down. But after a minute or 2 it would try to rev up but then it would stay right around 2500 RPM. And I'm not 100% sure it was right at that exact RPM I'm just guessing. I put it in neutral and it would rev up just fine. So I put it back in gear and it did the same thing. I couldn't get up on plane. I plowed water for a while then all of the sudden she took off and I shot out of the hole like normal. I cruised for a couple 100 yards and then stopped and tried again. It was bogged down again but then took off and ran fine. I had to get going home so I couldn't keep running and I'm sure I was pissing some people off so I apologize if I rocked your boat. I always run premium gasoline and the gas wasn't that old. I think I topped it off in December or January. I did put Stabil in when I put it away last season but I didn't run the engine afterwards which I usually do but it was too cold outside.
Could it be a fuel issue? I would think it would run rough at idle too. I need to get back out and run it some more and see if it will straighten out. Thought I'd check on here to see if anyone had experience with Optis.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have to look at the all the fuel lines - and just replace them. Ranger had anti siphon issues. thats what i would start with

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the same issue with a 150 Optimax. Mine was a fuel line. Replaced and was good to go!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coils. Had a friend with the same year 250. He had a lot of coil issues and when it did it, it acted just like you described. It was weird, would lay down, then all of a sudden come alive and go. There was some warranty with the coils if I remember, he had to chase it quite a bit with the dealer but he got them all replaced and everything worked fine after that. Good luck.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would look at the fuel system first, so fuel lines and fuel filters. Second would be to check coils and plugs. you may have a weak one that isn't providing enough voltage as the demand increases. The only other easy thing right of hand would be to try a different starting battery. The big block Opti's are voltage sensitive and are battery suckers. I think the manual for them even calls for a Min 1000 Marine Cranking Amps. Good Luck

eliminator

Honored Member
Had an optimax that did the same thing and Trax is right---was coils on mine also. Call Russ at boat works and run it by him---he is always glad to give you his best guess also.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a Merfcuy on my pontoon that isn't an Optimax with the same issues last summer. Had a new fuel line from tank to motor so knew that wasn't the issue, or at least my mechanic did. Finally traced the problem to the fuel lines under the hood. This is a 60hp four stroke. Changed all the fuel lines inside the hood as well as the filters and solved the problem. Discoverd by the junk that would accumulate in the filters. Motor problems area PITA.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had similar issue few years ago. Was a weak fuel pump. Opti needs to supply fuel quickly to injector reservoir area. If pump is weak. It will not supply enough to reservoir and it will bog down coming out the hole. Jon at River City figured it out. Russ at Boat works is excellent tech as well!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
coils what you described almost cost us a bunch in a tourney.

GET THE NET

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will check some things out and let you know what the fix was for me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
start it on fire and get a Yamaha.

- - - Updated - - -

I am on my 3rd optimax rebuild (2009, 225), and am worried about it every time I start it and run with it, every little noise makes me think she is going to blow again

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
start it on fire and get a Yamaha.

- - - Updated - - -

I am on my 3rd optimax rebuild (2009, 225), and am worried about it every time I start it and run with it, every little noise makes me think she is going to blow again

Johnr you need to enroll in eyexer optimax school. He is da man.

GET THE NET

Well after some troubleshooting and finding #5 cylinder not firing. I swapped coils with #3 and it still didn't fire. So it was down to the injector or spark plug. Found the spark plug to be bad. Going to put new plugs in hopefully before the weekend and go for a test run.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to gap the plugs to spec. At least Check em. They’re usually right on but I’ve had some way off out of the box

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74