Onix 10 SI

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to look at a boat tomorrow that has an Onix 10 SI on it. Anyone know anything about these Humminbird units? Are they any good?

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had one for 6 years. For what I use it for, it’s a good unit as long as you have done all the updates which are easy to do. It marks fish descent in both 2D and DI. You can see you jigging wrap under the boat. The auto chart live is a very nice feature.

side imaging isn’t the best but the could be operator error. It is fairly slow to start up and a bit clumsy if you want to delete or edit way points.

overall, it will do the trick if you’re an average weekend fisherman. If you’re wanting a competitive edge to see everything, you’ll want to upgrade.

Last edited:

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two Onix 8's (one SI and one 2D that are networked together) and overall I like them. Not sure how familiar you are with Humminbird's but the user interface on the Onix units (now Solix) is completely different than the Helix's. The Onix interface is a little more complicated than the Helix but is also more customizable. If you like to tweak things, the Onix is definitely more powerful. Had some issues a couple seasons ago with my Ulterra/iPilot Link after doing a software update. They eventually released another update the fixed the problem.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did end up buying the boat and ended up with 2 Onix 10's. The sellers original unit, which he bought 4 or 5 years ago, crashed and froze last year when he tried to install an update. It's totally dead and won't even reboot. He bought a used head unit on E-Bay that works good and he gave me the dead unit with the deal. He said he called Humminbird support and they told him if he wanted them to work on it he would have to send along a deposit of $1000 which he decided not to do when he found the used unit on E-Bay for the same cost. Humminbird told him if they couldn't fix his Onix they might replace it with a new Solix. He said it was up to me if I wanted to take my chances sending in the cash and the dead unit. Gonna have to do a little more research on this. I'm going to look around to see if there is any private party who works on dead Onix's. The working one on the boat sure impressed me but then all I have to compare it to is a 5 year old Lowrance Elite HDI 7.

The new boat has an Evenrude 175 Ficht model motor and Russ at Mandan Boatworks told me he doesn't have the tools or software to work on those motors and he thinks the only shop in the state that might be able to work on them in in Bottinoue. Does anyone know if there are other places to get Evenrude work done in case I have a problem. The seller was from Minneapolis and he said there are all kinds of shops down there that work on Evenrudes.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75